The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-12-2020, 03:47 PM

That one in the OP video sounds about as good as it gets to me.

I would imagine the real original was a Gibson or Fender amp with tremolo/vibrato.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
That one in the OP video sounds about as good as it gets to me.

I would imagine the real original was a Gibson or Fender amp with tremolo/vibrato.
The "classic" sound we think of today was pretty much trademarked by Dick Dale. He got both prototype Showman amps and reverb tanks from Leo. He originally wanted the tank for vocals, but that changed quickly!

It's interesting on Shake and Stomp (1962) he kind of does the Link Wray thing where much like Link did with tremolo on rumble, Dick uses more and more intense reverb as the song goes on. And from the same album on Surf Beat it's cranked from the start.

Old 11-12-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
The "classic" sound we think of today was pretty much trademarked by Dick Dale. He got both prototype Showman amps and reverb tanks from Leo. He originally wanted the tank for vocals, but that changed quickly!

It's interesting on Shake and Stomp (1962) he kind of does the Link Wray thing where much like Link did with tremolo on rumble, Dick uses more and more intense reverb as the song goes on. And from the same album on Surf Beat it's cranked from the start.

Yeah! A few months ago I read the book, 'The Birth of Loud' which was essentially about the creation and rise of the solid body electric guitar. A lot was dedicated to the relationship that Leo Fender had with Dick Dale. Really great read if you are into that stuff. Dale kept pushing Leo for louder and louder amplifiers becasue he was filling huge halls up with people and wanted to reach the back. Man those were the days!
Old 11-12-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Yeah! A few months ago I read the book, 'The Birth of Loud' which was essentially about the creation and rise of the solid body electric guitar. A lot was dedicated to the relationship that Leo Fender had with Dick Dale. Really great read if you are into that stuff. Dale kept pushing Leo for louder and louder amplifiers becasue he was filling huge halls up with people and wanted to reach the back. Man those were the days!
Dale was "licensed" by the authorities... Meanwhile "Rumble" by Link Wray was banned! Weird time... But yeah. If we had time travel, and were barred from changing the past, I'd probably go see Dick rock the Rendezvous Ballroom! More than any other great from the 60's or 70's. I've come close to buying his custom shop Strat more than once!
Old 11-13-2020, 01:21 AM

I’m a real trem freak. Or I was; I haven’t played much electric for the past couple years.

I’ve owned a bunch of reverb and trem pedals, including many mentioned here. I also built a Hoffman Revibe, which is a Fender Reverb unit with harmonic vibrato added.

What I ended up actually using night after night was the Flint. Harmonic vibrato, spring reverb, small, reliable, good to go. Well worth the money.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:34 PM

Well, I decided to be fiscally responsible and get what I needed instead of what I wanted. Not really a fair statement as the Keeley Verb o Trem does way more than I needed. It has three modes Spring Reverb and Trem, Spring Reverb and pitch Vibrato, and lastly Plate Reverb and Harmonic Tremolo. I got to demo it before buying and got a killer deal too. It'll do Surf, but it'll also do Fender onboard Reverb amp with tremolo instro stuff like Los Straitjackets, or "other" stuff like Southern Culture on the Skids, which I play the heck out of. C'mon ya'll Firefly! Anybody? Firefly?

So I didn't get the BEST all in one Surf/Spy/Instro pedal. But I did identify it. It's the Flint. But I did get a killer pedal for one third the price that does more than I could have asked for. I'd have been happy with just the Spring Reverb and Trem mode.

Anyway here's a demo

Old 11-14-2020, 07:21 PM

Keely is top notch. You did well

BTW SCOTS is one of my fav bands ever
Old 01-16-2021, 03:33 PM

So after this thread nagging me for a couple months now I bent over backwards and got one of those F-Stop pedals and man I'll tell ya this thing sounds fantastic!!!

I got one becasue my new Marshal 18 watt clone has not tremolo or reverb and I've been playing mostly through a Fender Twin for almost 30 years now. It definitely has a Twin vibe to it but it sounds so good I'd be tempted to even use it on my Twin instead of for what the Twin is famous for,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars