The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-04-2016, 05:33 AM

Default Takamine CTP-3 preamp auxiliary pickup, what are the options?

I have a new to me Tak with a CTP-3 preamp and the palathetic pickup.

The cool tube preamp has an RCA in for an auxiliary pickup. It's high impedance non phantom power input. The CTP-3 has limited EQ on the auxiliary. It will blend and has gain control mid cut and high cut on the auxiliary side.

At this point I'm particularly interested in what good pickups I could plug in would
be. I know there's a Tri-Axe magnetic pick up which I'm not interested in. (Although I would consider something like that if it was unnoticeable. Say like the Nano mag pickup which I don't think would work).
Seems Takamine have a single soundboard transducer that works too.

But look as I may, I cannot find what 3rd party second source is considered a good fit.

BTW the guitar is a PD6NC with solid maple back, side and solid spruce top.

I was hoping to add a mic but that does not seem very possible I'm not looking to connect to a ring of the Jack as that's a phantom source for the preamp.

Thanks
Old 10-06-2016, 08:55 PM

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-07-2016, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
I have a new to me Tak with a CTP-3 preamp and the palathetic pickup.

The cool tube preamp has an RCA in for an auxiliary pickup. It's high impedance non phantom power input. The CTP-3 has limited EQ on the auxiliary. It will blend and has gain control mid cut and high cut on the auxiliary side.

At this point I'm particularly interested in what good pickups I could plug in would
be. I know there's a Tri-Axe magnetic pick up which I'm not interested in. (Although I would consider something like that if it was unnoticeable. Say like the Nano mag pickup which I don't think would work).
Seems Takamine have a single soundboard transducer that works too.

But look as I may, I cannot find what 3rd party second source is considered a good fit.

BTW the guitar is a PD6NC with solid maple back, side and solid spruce top.

I was hoping to add a mic but that does not seem very possible I'm not looking to connect to a ring of the Jack as that's a phantom source for the preamp.

Thanks
I use & have used Takamine guitars with Cool Tube Preamps for over 5 years now and play live shows all the time. A couple of my newer Taks have the CTP-3 preamps. These really offer more control over the built in pickup and also add a gain knob and some switches for the AUX pickup. Not really adjustable EQ but will effect the tone somewhat of what you plug into the RCA AUX input.

One of my guitars has the Transducer instead of using a Mag. pickup. While it's different sounding and good sounding guitar I still prefer adding a Mag such as the Tri-ax or some of mine I've added the Baggs M80 in passive mode. This is really what the new Tri-ax 2 is just in black.

I'm not sure that you could use a MIC to great effect but I don't know that it wouldn't work either.

After trying several different MAG pickups with my Cool Tubes I've decide that I like what the DiMarzio Angel Pickup adds to the mix even more so that the Baggs or Tri-ax. It's just a sweeter tone with better output. In fact I'm slowly changing out all of mine for the Angel.

If it's a looks thing for you then maybe my opinion won't really make much difference if you don't like the look of the Soundhole pickup but if great tone is what your after you would be happy with this set up I feel sure.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 10-24-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderman57 View Post
I use & have used Takamine guitars with Cool Tube Preamps for over 5 years now and play live shows all the time. A couple of my newer Taks have the CTP-3 preamps. These really offer more control over the built in pickup and also add a gain knob and some switches for the AUX pickup. Not really adjustable EQ but will effect the tone somewhat of what you plug into the RCA AUX input.

One of my guitars has the Transducer instead of using a Mag. pickup. While it's different sounding and good sounding guitar I still prefer adding a Mag such as the Tri-ax or some of mine I've added the Baggs M80 in passive mode. This is really what the new Tri-ax 2 is just in black.

I'm not sure that you could use a MIC to great effect but I don't know that it wouldn't work either.

After trying several different MAG pickups with my Cool Tubes I've decide that I like what the DiMarzio Angel Pickup adds to the mix even more so that the Baggs or Tri-ax. It's just a sweeter tone with better output. In fact I'm slowly changing out all of mine for the Angel.

If it's a looks thing for you then maybe my opinion won't really make much difference if you don't like the look of the Soundhole pickup but if great tone is what your after you would be happy with this set up I feel sure.

Thanks for this,
Well I've been looking into the mag pickups a lot more since you posted. First I had no idea the good ones were so pricey. Second I'm not a real fan of the looks. But I'm not saying no quite yet.

Having said that I wish there was a curved or flexible slim passive mag pickup that could mount to the end of my fret board. But since that's not going to happen anytime soon......

My next options seem to be either soundboard transducers maybe go with a 3 sensor system and a tone wheel for more control. Or seeing if I can locate some type of passive mic that would work well; pressure, dynamic or maybe a condenser with an easy accessible small battery or something?

All I want to do is have something to mix in that can obscure any bit of quack from the palathetic pickup. To be honest it sounds pretty good already but adding a mic or something extra would just be the cream on top.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:02 PM

Hi Mischief I have and have used for a few years now a Tak, Tan 46c which has the CTP2 pretty similar to the 3. Never tried an add on pickup but plenty do. Mostly the Tak mag one or the Baggs equivalent. Most seem happy with the combo.

I do recall reading either here or maybe on another site, someone added a K&K and it worked just fine. I have one in another guitar and it is a pretty hot pickup so maybe it would work but I have not tried it. Maybe a Google will bring up that thread from wherever, Tele site perhaps.

Kris
Old 10-26-2016, 12:26 PM

I've had the lyric microphone in my tak for a couple years now. I'm a big fan.
I lead from the ctp1 and then blend in the lyric with the aux input.
The more quiet the stage, the more I can blend in.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmutch View Post
I've had the lyric microphone in my tak for a couple years now. I'm a big fan.
I lead from the ctp1 and then blend in the lyric with the aux input.
The more quiet the stage, the more I can blend in.

Howdy,
I happen to have a lyric pickup not being used. I'm a little unclear how you connected the two together. If I understand your using the lyric and retaining it as active? and then going from lyric output into the auxiliary on the cp1 to blend? Or are you using the lyric passively into the auxiliary on CP1?

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you.....
Old 10-27-2016, 10:00 AM

No worries.
I have mine run active. I run a 1/4 to rca adapter out of the end pin jack into the ctp1.

One thing to note, the cool tube control works different on the ctp1 vs the ctp2/ctp3. When the cool tube dial is at zero there is hardly any signal from the preamp. This allows me to have to option of running almost solely on the lyric if I choose too. They changes this in the newer versions. The cool tube dial is not suppose to affect volume as much.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmutch View Post
No worries.
I have mine run active. I run a 1/4 to rca adapter out of the end pin jack into the ctp1.

One thing to note, the cool tube control works different on the ctp1 vs the ctp2/ctp3. When the cool tube dial is at zero there is hardly any signal from the preamp. This allows me to have to option of running almost solely on the lyric if I choose too. They changes this in the newer versions. The cool tube dial is not suppose to affect volume as much.

Okay thanks. Well I suppose this will be an easy experiment the next time I'm doing a string change I could just pop it in. Since I have one on hand and experiment with it. On the CT-3 I have a separate volume control for aux but I'm not sure if that's parallel to the main volume or if it's in series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2017, 12:55 PM

Default my thoughts on the ctp3.

Hi there I am*sending this email to express my disappointment in your new cooltube preamp. I have been using natural series takamine guitars throughout my career as p a pro musician playing 6 days a week for the last 20 years.
Ten years ago I purchased the first edition cooltube preamp and was very happy with the results. fitted into my EAN 40c I was delighted with the sound. a few years later I bought the next edition as the volume and battery compartment started failing. The CTP 2 was a fine replacement and gave the same great sound with the addition of a faster warm up time and longer battery life.
Over the years I have inspired many many people to buy takamine guitars particularly the natural series ETN. EAN .EN. and now the P3 series. I myself own one of each of these Ean 40c is my number one guitar.

Last week I purchased the CTP-3. What a disappointment. First of all it sounds processed and lacks all the goodness of the previous versions*. The placement of the aux volume is wrong. The tuner is less visible nether hi or low pickup gain give the correct signal. The battery compartment looks cheap and child toy like which will make on stage battery changes awkward**with the likely hood of plastic cap and placing the battery's the wrong way around.
I have tried everything sonically to try to get my sound but when compared with older versions it sounds very inferior whispy and ovation like. When the notch filter is turned to 5k the sound slightly improves but the idea is to take away feed back and not alter the sound.

I am really disappointed. I would exchange this Ctp-3 in a heart beat. You really have got this one wrong.
I hope this finds its way to somebody high up or mr Takamine himself.
As for the CTP-3 it will go back in a box as I will not be using it.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:58 PM

Default takamines reply. very dissapointing

Thank you for your very valuable comment.

WE will make an effort to make better products in the future.

Sorry about this.

Best regards,

Takamine guitars
Old 03-23-2017, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean40c View Post
Thank you for your very valuable comment.

WE will make an effort to make better products in the future.

Sorry about this.

Best regards,

Takamine guitars
+1...fulltime musician here many years as well & I too employ 3 Taks; my fav KC70 with CT4BII, EF261SAN with CTP-2, and ETN 70C with CTP-2...I've also had a P3DC with CT4BII, which was awesome and a P5NC with CD4DX which guitar was ok, preamp sounded awesome with lots of headroom but too many dials for stage.

I agree with you 100% on your take upgrading from from version 1 to version 2 as well as the poor choice in layout & all for version 3. It seems like Takamine was trying to homogonize the Ctp-2 with the CD4DX, but it don't work imo.

I don't bother contacting Takamine, I go through Jerry at Pacific Guitar Sales who is a sponsor here on the AGF. I purchased 3 Taks from him and two CTP-2 replacements from him. He is a gem to work with & will do his best to resolve any issues promptly.

I have a ton experience with MIJ Takamines and just took apart part of my palathetic pickup in my ETN70C to tweak the low E string volume and also made a new saddle for it.
I like the punchy headroom of the CT4BII for my KC70 and the warmth & versatility of the Cooltube, but version 3 blows imo.

Give a look to Pacific Guitar Sales if ya get a chance & best wishes,

eric
Old 03-23-2017, 04:48 PM

HI mischief,

Tmutch is right, you'better run the lyric active with its preamp. I modded mine and the lyric is a 3 wires condenser mic. I think With signal, ground and dc For powering. I did not checked his wire function except the dc power, but every time I' ve tried to use it as a two wire mic it failed.

I'll pm you something

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 03-23-2017, 05:22 PM

So can one just buy the CT-2 preamp and then swap the pop out CT-3 for the 2 without changing the mount or changing anything else? I am under the impression one can.

Cuki- in other news I'm still dealing with the mic issue for IR recordings. (I was actually thinking of going the IR route instead of a second pickup)

Since I have a lyric not being used I should still try it as an experiment. Just using 1/4" to RCA adapter but I'd have to install a switch. I'm not sure but I think the lyric uses contact across the 1/4" plug to run on so I could hook a small switch along the adapter cable to break the connection and turn off the lyric.

Still seems like too much extra electronics inside doing all that though.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
So can one just buy the CT-2 preamp and then swap the pop out CT-3 for the 2 without changing the mount or changing anything else? I am under the impression one can.....
Yes , all 3 versions of the Cooltube as well as the CT4BII & CD4DX are easily interchangeable...you can get a CPT-2 through Pacific Guitar Sales here on AGF as I mentioned in previous posts.

eric

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification