The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-03-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Looks way close to me too....

If you don't mind the ends of your nut hanging off the sides of the fingerboard That would drive me, umm, nuts.

There's only one nut *width* that will fit any given guitar (without major surgery). What we're really talking about is string spacing at the nut, not nut width.
Yes, this is all true. I still have to sand and shape the edges of the nut so they're not square and so they don't extend *slightly* beyond the edge of the neck. But the fretboard handles the increased string spacing just fine without the high or low strings ever having the slightest tendency to fall off the frets. I have a medium to small hand and I need to fret the bass string with my thumb, when the strings are offset inwards from the edge of the fretboard like the OF660 is stock then it leads to serious pain in my thumb. Set up the way it is now this guitar player absolutely perfectly for me.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:45 AM

Well, I have one in the mail..... will chime in when it gets here.
000-Nylon, All Mahogany custom, 000-15SM, D16-GT (resto mod in progress), D15-M, Stinger SSL electric....
And a Kobza, Bouzouki, Hurdy Gurdy and something medieval looking.....
www.woodenshoe.blog
Old 01-19-2020, 07:53 PM

Bit of an update, I finally finished designing the string retainer and 3D printing it. The whole thing works, although my biggest issue is that I bought a nut that wasn't as wide as the stock one so I had to put a spacer in. Definitely hokey. What I'll need to do is buy a tusq blank and make my own rather than try and use something pre-made. But it plays great, the strings are much closer to the edge of the fretboard so it's much more suitable for fingerstyle in my opinion. And with the neck tension and action set it's 1000x better than it was out of the box. Although this is probably not something anyone else is going to want to go through the trouble of doing (and luckily it's reversible if I decide to go back to stock).

Old 01-20-2020, 10:35 AM
Guest 928

That's pretty interesting stuff. Seems like something the company would be interested in. I don't think it would work for me--I'd have the treble E off the fret board.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:54 PM

Could you incorporate the nut spacer into the 3d printed string retainer?
Old 01-23-2021, 06:35 PM

I finally sat down and finished some instrument set-up work that I've let pile up. Some high frets on different instruments, some new Red Henry style mando bridges made to replace some heavy stock adjustable bridges... and the bridge saddle and nut slot height on the Journey.

I had put off the Journey because of that string retainer, but since I was near a string change, I put on a capo at the fifth fret, took off the strings from the tuners, and then removed the retainer. I then restrung with those strings, pulled out the nut files and carefully/cautiously started the work, checking after every stroke. When fretting at the second fret left an increasing height of .010" to finally .020"(high E to low) between any given string and the first fret, I was done with the hard part.

The old strings were removed, the retainer replaced, and the new EXP strings put on.

And it now plays like butter.

Setting this thing up perfectly really pays off....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber