The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 01:34 PM

The olive looks gorgeous, but I don't care what wood you have Tim put beneath his stash of '50s redwood: It's gonna sound sensational. I recall playing a '50s redwood top fresh off a build and headed out to Healdsburg, back in 2011 I believe, that was over walnut if I'm remembering correctly. Just an incredible guitar, with the '50s redwood not too dissimilar from the LS redwood guitar I own that Tim built. I've listened to Tim tap that stuff, too; it's to die for. Eager to see this one progress!
Old 10-01-2015, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Looking forward to watching this one!
Old 10-01-2015, 06:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yeah, what David said! Tim, I'm very pleased that you are sharing this project with us. I've been intrigued about Olive wood for awhile now. Some specimens, like to ones you've got, are uniquely beautiful. I'll be curious to hear your impressions on its workability, and tonal character. No doubt the guitars you make with it will be stellar in every respect.

About five years ago, the Seattle Rockler Woodworkers store got a couple pallet loads of Cocobolo, which I zeroed in on. They also had some super-fine planks of Olive, quarter-to-rift, plenty wide enough for guitars... and man, was I tempted. Even now, I'm kicking myself for spending all my money on the Cocobolo, and not getting one of those Olive planks. That's a rare opportunity- one I will not miss next time!
Old 10-01-2015, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

That olive wood looks beautiful!

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 10-02-2015, 06:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the kind comments folks and sorry for the late reply. We are in in Raleigh exhibiting at the IBMA Bluegrass Festival so our internet access is limited. We will try to update the thread with more pictures ASAP. Glad we are indoors most of the time because this hurricane is hammering the area.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Thanks for the kind comments folks and sorry for the late reply. We are in in Raleigh exhibiting at the IBMA Bluegrass Festival so our internet access is limited. We will try to update the thread with more pictures ASAP. Glad we are indoors most of the time because this hurricane is hammering the area.
Tim it's been raining here for a week straight! Glad you guys floated down! I hope to come to the convention center tomorrow, and I'd love to meet you. I hope the weather is decent enough to come!
Old 10-03-2015, 05:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Treenewt,
Thanks for stopping by our booth. It was a pleasure to meet you and your family.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Treenewt,
Thanks for stopping by our booth. It was a pleasure to meet you and your family.
Tim, thanks to you and Mary for taking the time to chat with us and let me play a few of your wonderful acoustics! I keep thinking about that mahogany MacNaught! You make some Mighty fine instruments sir!!!

Thanks again for taking the time! And tell Mary my son, who wouldn't put the shades on when we were there, just asked me if he could wear them to bed! He hasn't taken them off since!
Old 10-05-2015, 08:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

OK, we are back to work now so its time to update our build photos:

Routing the rosette cavity in the top:

Cutting the Olive Wood 12 segment rosette:

Gluing the rosette into the pocket:

Excess glue mopped up:

Don't freak out if you see a gap around the rosette. ^ A super tight fit is not important in the step above since I will be cutting purfling channels around the rosette inner and outer perimeters [after] the glue has dried in this step of the process.

The top goes into the vacuum clamp frame. This applies even clamping pressure on the rosette to hold it in place while the glue dries:
Old 10-05-2015, 08:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

While the glue dries in the rosette we will lay up the purflings. This is made up of a sandwich of Black fiber sheet stock, Ash veneer, Curly Claro Walnut core, Ash veneer and Black Fiber sheet stock.

Tite Bond III glue applied to each veneer. I have found that TB-III holds up to heat well when bending the purflings in the Fox style side bender or bending over a hot pipe. This is the only joint I use Tite Bond glue:

Sandwich clamped up:

Old 10-09-2015, 10:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

While the purfling lay up is drying we are off to work on the sides:

Starting with book matched Olive "outer" sides:

Sides are thickness sanded:

Side profiles are drawn for the Linda Manzer inspired wedge:

Side profiles are cut on the bandsaw:

Finally the "Double sides" are ready for the bender:
Old 10-09-2015, 11:56 AM

Tim that looks great! Love the use of olive wood! That grain will look amazing under finish I'll wager!
Old 10-09-2015, 12:26 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Olive and old growth Redwood. I'm interested in hearing the results for sure. That wood is some pretty stuff.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:07 PM

Gorgeous, Tim! Just beautiful.
I have seen Olive tops on electrics before but never on an acoustic.
What does it smell like when cutting/bending?

Also, how do you like that Grizzly widebelt sander?
I'm dreaming of upgrading from my silly little Delta 18-36 and that seems like
the next reasonable step up.

Cheers,
Martin
Old 10-12-2015, 07:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Keith View Post
What does it smell like when cutting/bending?

Also, how do you like that Grizzly widebelt sander?

Cheers,
Martin
Hi Martin,

Machining Olive wood smells like you just opened a jar of fresh green olives. Its awesome, but I guess you have to like green olives

I love my Grizzly wide belt sander. I started out with a Performax 16-32 twenty five years ago and I still have it although its only used to thickness nuts and saddles these days. What previously took 20 minutes to do on the Performax I can do in less than a minute on the wide belt. Another benefit is that it doesn't load up the sand paper like the hi speed drum sanders do. Its one of the best tool investments I've ever made. I've never had a single problem with it either, knock on wood ... You'll need a powerful dust collector because it creates a lot of dust ... quickly!

If you buy one, you'll only need two grits of sanding belts, 60 and 120. I'm still using belts that are 10+ years old. If the belt loads up in a few spots, spray Easy Off oven cleaner on it, let soak for 10 minutes and rinse with a garden hose. Allow the belt dry over night and its just like new again. You will also need three other strong young men to help you move it. These things are heavy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop