The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-03-2023, 09:41 AM

Default nut slot height

Thanks for the response. One last question on your point - can lowering the nut slots help lower the action farther down the neck? It seems like there should be a relationship on at least the action in the first several frets.

I ask because I have a guitar where I want to lower the 12th string action, but I can't take anything more off the saddle. My original neck set angle must not have been quite as dialed in, so I am currently at about 3mm at the 12th fret. It's certainly playable, but I prefer a lower action that is somewhere around 2.5mm. It doesn't bother me enough to merit doing a full neck reset or to start shaving down the bridge, but I would take a bit more if I could get it. I'm pretty sure that I could safely take the nut down.
Old 12-03-2023, 10:51 AM

Lowering the nut slot has the same effect as lowering the saddle. The amount that you lower it at the nut or saddle will lower the action at the 12th fret by half that amount. But typically nut slots, even when poorly cut and too high, are pretty close to the proper height so you don't really notice it much.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair