The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-02-2020, 06:09 PM

Default I think i'm ready to buy!! maybe a good time?

Hi so I'm recently semi retired...and now especially much more time to play and I still have have my 40 year old Yamaha FG 340 which I did not play much at all until 3 years ago, started taking lessons, finger style main interest, working through some of the easier, well not really!! early Bert Jansch, 'Running from Home'' and 'Blues Run the Game' and Roy Harper 'Girl from the North Country' . I don't think the Yamaha is holding me back from any progress I'm going to make though I find the neck/nut? a little narrow, I find the Martin series most appealing but still confused by all the models tho I think I'd prefer a smaller body so have eliminated the Dreadnoughts, maybe the 000 or the OM, my budget that i've arbitrarily set is 3K, and Im wondering if the retailers are in a bargaining frame of mind at this time. I am a semi retired piano technician and restorer and worked on many high level concert pianos with primarily classical performers, so my ear is good! so am hoping to find a guitar that tonally satisfies me...too much to ask ??
Old 04-02-2020, 06:29 PM

Why not check out the forum classifieds. There are tons of great deals on just about every guitar you could want and our members generally take good care of them. I haven't bought new in years.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Yes, it is a good time to buy. For instance, I was offered a brand new Martin OM-28 Modern Deluxe (MD) for $3K flat without even haggling.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:12 PM

I haven't seen any fire sales yet.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:18 PM

My household finance dept (wife), says NO discretionary spending until this virus situation stabilizes. So buying anything right now could be hazardous to my health.
Larivee OM-40
Guild D-125 12 NAT
Yamaha CSF3M TBS
USA Stratocaster
Gibson les Paul Junior
Custom built Thinline Tele
Old 04-02-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jansch101 View Post
I'm wondering if the retailers are in a bargaining frame of mind at this time.
That's contingent upon finding a retailer who hasn't had to close due lockdown orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Why not check out the forum classifieds.
+1. There are some really nice instruments on offer right now.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:28 PM

If you don’t need to buy right now, and you figure your Yamaha will hold you over, I think the economy could work to get you even better pricing. I think economically things are going to get weird over the next while. Just a feeling.

Best wishes either way, and welcome!
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 04-02-2020, 07:35 PM

Oh, you'll find *that* guitar. It's just finding one you can try out these days.

Having a good ear, would make me think, you'll need to play it before you buy it.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:42 PM

I don't think anyone is advertising anything like that yet, but privately it may be a different story. Like stated above, if a guitar store is in a state with limited working and mobility, it's possible they're closed. If you can find a small seller, they may be operating out of home until needing to ship something. For me the first thing is to identify what you want because it would be counter-productive to simply seek out shelf-clearing prices on guitars you may not like or want. Find something you're ready to buy and then call the seller and discuss an offer that makes you feel good.

Check out our classifieds, our sponsors and then your local Craigslist. I know John at MyFavoriteGuitars is closing so if you're lookin for a Martin, or something else he might have, he gives great pricing for forum members and may have a "let's get this stuff sold" price that's great. Also check out Wilcutt guitars as they have a clearance section on their site.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:57 PM

It's probably a good time to do some research, listen to as many videos as you can and really try to hone in on what you are after. I suspect this economy thing may work in your favor if you've got the spare cash on hand. Just give it another 3 or 4 weeks. IMHO, of course.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

I hope that I am wrong but...

Wait a month or two when the 10 plus million poor souls - newly unemployed - need to reluctantly part with non essentials.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

I like your screen name. I first discovered Bert in junior high school in the early 70's. Pretty much wore out a copy of Birthday Blues.
Our paths are not so different. You have been playing three years most recently, and for me, it has been just over one. You are a musician, as am I - jazz clarinet/sax for a very long time. And I am easing my way into the post-occupation time in my life as well.
I have bought three guitars in just over a year. I do not need three, but I am pleased to have them all. They are works of art that make music. Each has a different voice that makes me feel different when I play them. Perhaps I will acquire more. Perhaps not. I suppose I could have waited to tend to the itch that each one scratches. But, without meaning to be grim, given the state of the world, if not now, when?
My best to you.
David
Old 04-02-2020, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

I'd want to be pretty sure that I'm going to live through this crisis before I bought another guitar. Of course I'm in the more vulnerable demographic.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:20 PM

Due to the fact that you're seeking a "guitar than tonally suits you", I hope you know you won't find that in a classified ad. You'll have to hold it, play it, get a sense of it in a tactile way.

Don't waste the ear you've developed by years of working with the pianos by doing it any other way.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 04-02-2020, 08:28 PM

Put a Martin M-36 on your radar. You can find specs at Sweetwater.com. New ones are 1 & 3/4 neck widths at the nut, and my 2011 is 1 & 11/16 so you have choices. You can find used starting at about $2500.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion