The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-01-2020, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Default NAD Yamaha thr10ii

Just picked one of these up to try upgrading my desktop thr5a as I'm spending a lot of time on that one practicing guitar while on conference calls due to Corona.

So far I have to say I'm super impressed and find it an all round improvement over the THR5A in everything but size and the battery.

I haven't tried it yet with one of my full true acoustics but it did a great job with my AO folding classical and as a big bonus when I plug my Snapdragon Snapaxe in I get a full very nice range of electric tones available.

The sound from the speakers also seems a lot better and definitely louder but I'm primarily use this one with headphones.

The reverbs in particular seem to have a lot more variety. The Room reverb makes a huge change to the sound through headphones.

Second photo is the size comparison.Image.jpgImage%20(1).jpg
Old 04-01-2020, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

My music partner has a THR10ii - what a great small amp. It produces great tones (clean, crunchy, twangy, overdrive, etc, etc) without needing to be at ear-bleeding volume. I am impressed!
Old 04-03-2020, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

So far I am loving this thing. It produces great acoustic tones nicely cleans up piezo quack when you use the modeler and a great range of electric tones.

I also like what it can do from the acoustic using some of the electric tones and effects. It actually did a decent Money For Nothing tone when I used my Classical Folding guitar with Piezo pickup as the source.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:50 PM

I can't seem to find any online YouTube videos of anyone actually using the acoustic modeler. Is that as good as the THR5A? If so, I may abandon the idea of getting a THR5a and just buying a II.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:17 PM

I absolutely love mine. Best practice amp I've ever owned. The bluetooth capability is just great, and the sound is remarkable for such a small box...really fills a room.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-03-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I can't seem to find any online YouTube videos of anyone actually using the acoustic modeler. Is that as good as the THR5A? If so, I may abandon the idea of getting a THR5a and just buying a II.
That's exactly the reason I just ordered a THR5A instead of the 10ii. I figure if *nobody* has made a video demonstrating the acoustic modeling, it must be ho-hum improvements at best...
Old 04-03-2020, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
That's exactly the reason I just ordered a THR5A instead of the 10ii. I figure if *nobody* has made a video demonstrating the acoustic modeling, it must be ho-hum improvements at best...
I've only had the 10ii for two days but I feel like for straight acoustic it's slightly better than the 5a for sound quality. I measured it to be 5db louder at max which makes a big difference as I already thought the 5 was a bit quiet.

You also have the Bluetooth streaming and app and then on top of all that it is a great practice electric amp.

Side by side with speakers that aren't broken in the acoustic tone and modelling seemed better to me but not outrageously so.

If you also have electric then it's an easy choice. The 5 isn't even close for electric.

I have always liked the 5 but aside from size there is no reason that I would keep it having the 10ii.

Last edited by Aspiring; 04-04-2020 at 03:37 AM.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:08 PM

I did find that in acoustic mode, one model is a "boutique condenser" one is a "boutique tube mic" and one is a "boutique dynamic." I've downloaded the app -- it's sweet. If I needed an amp, I'd probably get the 30 ii. I really like that Yamaha has finally added line outputs, although I had good results "lining out" via the headphone jack with my THR5.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

I've had the 30ii on backorder since November with still no arrival time estimated.

I finally gave in and grabbed a base 10ii. I'm using my desktop amp heavily right now as I take conference calls for work and play at the same time. (I route the audio for the calls though the Yamaha and use my silent guitars playing through headphones.

When the 30 ii comes in stock I will make the call then, but honestly for what I'm doing the 10ii seems sufficient and I already have my own wireless stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I did find that in acoustic mode, one model is a "boutique condenser" one is a "boutique tube mic" and one is a "boutique dynamic." I've downloaded the app -- it's sweet. If I needed an amp, I'd probably get the 30 ii. I really like that Yamaha has finally added line outputs, although I had good results "lining out" via the headphone jack with my THR5.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification