The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-01-2020, 09:33 AM

Default Martin versus McPherson

Wow, starts at 3:30, which did you enjoy more? Should use headphones to listen to get the best quality:

Last edited by John5; 04-01-2020 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:01 AM

Won’t work for me......
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 04-01-2020, 09:50 PM

Updated. At first I thought the McPherson sounded great when he first lightly strummed it, but when the guy started to dig in, the Martin was superior in this respect.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:28 PM

The McPherson was very nice but the D-28 sounded better throughout the comparison to my. Additionally, even if the McPherson was way better - I would never play a guitar weighing 12.8 lbs. (5.84 Kg.). The McPherson cost 4X the D-28 and weighs more than 2X the weight. So, even if I liked both equally, the Martin wins in all other categories for me.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:06 AM

As I recall, the McPhersons do not have truss rods. That’s a deal killer; I like to adjust playability and use barely any relief, and you won’t get that w/o the adjustable rod.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:11 AM

McPherson s cantilevered neck does not need an adjustable truss rod
Old 04-02-2020, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickey Clapton View Post
McPherson s cantilevered neck does not need an adjustable truss rod
So are you saying if a neck is cantilevered, it does not need an adjustable truss rod due to the fact that it is cantilevered; or are you saying their particular neck, which just happens to be a cantilevered neck, does not need an adjustable truss rod?
Old 04-02-2020, 03:39 AM

Thanks for posting, interesting video.
I must admit that the McPherson sounded better to me in every way. Clearer, more personality, clarity in bass lines behind the treble. Just better. But, that huge neck joint? Is all that weight in the neck? I don't think I could cope with it....maybe if I had a real studio and used the McPherson for recording.......
Nick
Old 04-02-2020, 05:02 AM

Can someone explain to me why these McPherson guitars are so expensive? I watched this video when it first came out and it made me realize that there are just some things I’m probably not meant to understand in the guitar world.

It can’t be sound quality, according to that video at least, and it can’t be build quality because I know you don’t have to spend that kind of money to get impeccable build quality.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 04-02-2020, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Can someone explain to me why these McPherson guitars are so expensive? I watched this video when it first came out and it made me realize that there are just some things I’m probably not meant to understand in the guitar world.

It can’t be sound quality, according to that video at least, and it can’t be build quality because I know you don’t have to spend that kind of money to get impeccable build quality.
They are priced by the ounce
Nick
Old 04-02-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickv6 View Post
They are priced by the ounce
Nick
Lol

Perhaps that is it...gotta be
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 04-02-2020, 07:16 AM

Strumming as in the video its Martin, but fingerstyle, not in the video its Mc I think from other things Ive heard. But the Mc is high on the ugly meter, weight, cost. How do they stay in business?
PS Im not a Martin fan but there are some things it does well.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:54 AM

I've played both the McPherson 4.5 and 5.0 models and I own a number of D-28s. Since I'm a recent owner of the McPherson Sable carbon fiber, I'll offer what I can in terms of my research.

First, the neck has a carbon fiber reinforcement system. It doesn't need an adjustable truss rod. The carbon fiber is something like 100 times stiffer than steel, and there's more of it. Their necks do not move, period.

The entire design of the McPherson guitar is a departure from Martin. Matt learned that the sound board area directly under the strings is the most important for resonant sound production. That's where everyone else has a hole. Moreover, that area is improved by lifting the fingerboard extension away, although, I wonder by how much?

His bracing design is very different from every other builder.

Lastly, because the soundhole is offset, what the player hears is a little different than what the audience hears, I surmise from my own experience. It's like tilting a Martin guitar's soundhole towards your ears when you are playing. You get a richer experience. Except with the McPherson, you get that all the time.

If I had the money to spend, I would by a McPherson 5.0 MG Adirondack and Rosewood today and make it my primary guitar. Although I would not sell my Martins, I might not play them as often.

I'm so much enjoying the McPherson experience that my Martins are getting less play, and that's with the Carbon fiber one! I suspect the wooden model would get played more exclusively.

That video doesn't do it much justice. You'd need to play one in person. Of course what we like to hear in guitars is totally subjective. It might simply be that my taste and Matt McPherson's are similar.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:40 AM

Videos are a poor way to judge a guitar, but that’s not accepted by many, so I’ll move along.

I’ve played a few McPherson’s and they were among the finest instruments I’ve ever played. Nothing short of incredible, one Spruce/Bubinga 5.0 still haunts my memory.

This vs thing isn’t a game I play so I’ll leave it at that.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 04-02-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John5 View Post
So are you saying if a neck is cantilevered, it does not need an adjustable truss rod due to the fact that it is cantilevered; or are you saying their particular neck, which just happens to be a cantilevered neck, does not need an adjustable truss rod?
Seems to be the former, which sidesteps the relief issues I mentioned. Their necks may be *stable*, but the relief along their length is not adjustable, and that’s an issue for me. I like very little relief, and many factory setups don’t have enough.

When I tried one, there was more relief than I liked, and I asked about adjustability, only to be told that the necks don’t require it. I’m surprised at that as a design choice in an instrument costing that much - it seems to assume one perfect setting for everyone, which, given the ongoing discussions of setup on this forum, is clearly not the case.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion