The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-01-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SasquatchLife View Post
The plot thickens lol.

So, I haven't played a cedar top in awhile. So, you're tasting that Cedar is warmer than spruce, but hog is warmer than cedar? Am I getting that right? Or cedar is brighter than hog?
Cedar is warmer and less bright than Spruce. More responsive to light touch.

I would consider Cedar brighter in tone than Mahogany but nearly as warm. I consider Mahogany tops "darker" in timbre (lacks some brilliance in the high end, but tons of midrange). Strings and picks can make a huge difference though.

In my mind, your stated style sounds like a great match for Cedar. The only real downside to Cedar is it's relative softness. It is far easier to scratch or ding than Spruce and Mahogany.

Another upside to Cedar is that it sounds warm and mature straight out of the gate, while Spruce (especially Adirondack) can sound bright and brittle for several months or even years before warming (opening) up.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 04-01-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedaddy View Post
You are in good company with any of your selections. I'm not familiar with the Martin you looked at but I have played the OM 28 Modern Deluxe and it is great. A lot more than your budget goal however. You'll like the Eastman - they are very good all the way around and I've owned a few. What I can tell you from my experience is that the Furch is a tremendous guitar. I just picked up an OM 34 which is basically the Vintage 3 model with a torrefied Adi top and deep body. It is a cannon and I am pretty certain you will be impressed with the quality. The finish is hand buffed and is flawless.
Thanks for the input. Man, I am so torn on what to do lol. It's nearly impossible for me to buy sight unseen, but I think I'm leaning towards the Furch and Martin. I'm sure the Eastmans are great, but a Martin is a Martin and Furch gets talked about like they are the best hidden secret in the boutique world.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Cedar is warmer and less bright than Spruce. More responsive to light touch.

I would consider Cedar brighter in tone than Mahogany but nearly as warm. I consider Mahogany tops "darker" in timbre (lacks some brilliance in the high end, but tons of midrange). Strings and picks can make a huge difference though.

In my mind, your stated style sounds like a great match for Cedar. The only real downside to Cedar is it's relative softness. It is far easier to scratch or ding than Spruce and Mahogany.

Another upside to Cedar is that it sounds warm and mature straight out of the gate, while Spruce (especially Adirondack) can sound bright and brittle for several months or even years before warming (opening) up.
Thanks so much for the explanation. I honestly just need to buy em all and screw the risk of getting divorced. I'm kidding!
Old 04-01-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
The Vintage 2 is the equivalent of my OM34sr. I don’t find it too reverby (is that a word...?) at all; the only reason my Taylor is my go to guitar is due to the electronics, it’s a great stage guitar. For recording and gigs where I take two or more the Furch is number one!

Best acoustic I’ve ever owned, one of the best I’ve ever played.
Haha, I don't think "reverby" is a word, just made it up lol. Man, I really think I'm leaning towards the Furch and have been probably for awhile now. I don't know. Other people on here say I should go with a Cedar top Furch though instead of this Sitka. Am I wrong in stating that the Sitka top is probably more versatile than a Cedar top since it would project more? I know the back and sides would be at play, but curious as to the direct Sitka vs. Cedar comparison. I want something that suits my playing style, but I also don't want to sacrifice versatility. Maybe I'm being too picky though.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
If you want a Rosewood body guitar, then congrats! You're getting a Furch, since it's the only Rosewood guitar on the list. Likewise, the Martin has a Mahogany top, which is going to have a completely different voice than the Spruce tops. So, if you'd prefer an all-hog guitar, congrats! You're getting a Martin.

As for the Eastman guitars, you'd have to ask yourself if the aesthetics are worth the $200-400 price difference, since the tonewood components are identical otherwise. Also, the E10OM is new, while I'm assuming the LTD is used, based on the photo background. New guitars will depreciate as soon as you take them home, while used guitars should already be discounted, so make sure you're not over-paying for the used one.

I would recommend giving Ted a call at LA Guitar Sales (since two of the four are from his shop). I've purchased many guitars from him, including a new one yesterday, and one of the reasons I return to him is b/c he will talk through my purchase with me, so I can buy with confidence. Call him, and I'm sure he will help you make a decision that fits your needs and playing style.
Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I did call Ted yesterday, and he was very helpful. He really had great things to say about the all-hog Martin OM-15, but warned that I really need to like all-hog (which I do). He said that he doesn't carry many Furch guitars b/c he thinks their voice profile or sound is too similar to Taylor. So, that kind of threw me off considering I'm not a big fan of the Taylor sound. To me, most (not all) Taylors sound too thin and bright.

So, I wonder if the same would hold true with this Furch Vintage 2 OM (Spruce Top and Rosewood B/S). I have listened to the sound of this Furch, and to me it doesn't really sound like a Taylor, but I'm sure some do. What are your thoughts on that?
Old 04-01-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Haha, I don't think "reverby" is a word, just made it up lol. Man, I really think I'm leaning towards the Furch and have been probably for awhile now. I don't know. Other people on here say I should go with a Cedar top Furch though instead of this Sitka. Am I wrong in stating that the Sitka top is probably more versatile than a Cedar top since it would project more? I know the back and sides would be at play, but curious as to the direct Sitka vs. Cedar comparison. I want something that suits my playing style, but I also don't want to sacrifice versatility. Maybe I'm being too picky though.

So I've played a whole lot of Furch. From Cedar to Sitka and several sizes.

They are insanely responsive. I'm a heavy strummer as I play mostly worship music. I was so wowed with the Cedar I almost got it. It can take a pretty heavy strumming and doesn't really break up just a headroom issue.

I went to Chicago Music Exchange the other day and played some high end Taylor's and Santa Cruz, Collings, Martin's, Foggy Bottom etc.

I came home and was like man my Furch is phenomenal. I wouldn't trade for any, and I thought I'd buy another one custom again if I was doing that money.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Interesting, thanks for the feedback. This furch is an OM with extra deep body. I wouldn't think it would be too heavy, but I trust your opinion. I really am leaning towards the Martin or Furch at this point.

I own three Furch guitars and one thing I would not say (and have never before heard said) is that they are heavily built - all of mine are very lightly built and as such are very resonant and great for fingerstyle playing.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 04-02-2020, 01:02 AM

Quote:
It's been awhile since I've played a Cedar top. So, like the other poster mentioned, Cedar is maybe better than hog because it responds better to light touch? I'm trying to understand the main differences between hog and Cedar. Why exactly did you find Cedar more enjoyable?

Two of mine are cedar topped and they are great sounding guitars - certainly more responsive to a lighter touch but also warmer to my ears than my spruce (one has a hog back and the other RW)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 04-02-2020, 01:37 AM

I have no experience with Eastman guitars, Martin's 15 serie is great if you like the all hog kind of tone, but those are probably not the most versatile. I have played many Furch, and here in Europe, I don't think you can get much better at this price point. I'm the happy owner of a Furch OM 32 SM, and it's a wonderful guitar, loud and responsive. I agree with Shadowfox, those can handle very aggressive strumming without ever being overdriven, but are also very responsive when it comes to light fingerstyle. Just as he says, I've also played some very high end and expensive guitars, and wouldn't trade my Furch for any of those. My only regret is that they don't build 00 / 14 frets model, maybe one day...
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 04-02-2020, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
So I've played a whole lot of Furch. From Cedar to Sitka and several sizes.

They are insanely responsive. I'm a heavy strummer as I play mostly worship music. I was so wowed with the Cedar I almost got it. It can take a pretty heavy strumming and doesn't really break up just a headroom issue.

I went to Chicago Music Exchange the other day and played some high end Taylor's and Santa Cruz, Collings, Martin's, Foggy Bottom etc.

I came home and was like man my Furch is phenomenal. I wouldn't trade for any, and I thought I'd buy another one custom again if I was doing that money.
People who have played Furch and are in the know about them get it. They are good value. Statements like “they are good for the money” do not apply. They make world class instruments. Period.

I think there will come a time when you cannot get Furch guitars for the more reasonable pricing you can right now.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 04-02-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Madsen View Post
I have no experience with Eastman guitars, Martin's 15 serie is great if you like the all hog kind of tone, but those are probably not the most versatile. I have played many Furch, and here in Europe, I don't think you can get much better at this price point. I'm the happy owner of a Furch OM 32 SM, and it's a wonderful guitar, loud and responsive. I agree with Shadowfox, those can handle very aggressive strumming without ever being overdriven, but are also very responsive when it comes to light fingerstyle. Just as he says, I've also played some very high end and expensive guitars, and wouldn't trade my Furch for any of those. My only regret is that they don't build 00 / 14 frets model, maybe one day...
Thanks for the feedback!
Old 04-03-2020, 01:51 AM

Quote:
He said that he doesn't carry many Furch guitars b/c he thinks their voice profile or sound is too similar to Taylor.
I played a dozen of Taylors and maybe hundred Furchs and I do not find their sound similar.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:26 AM

OP—I may have missed it, but when you play fingerstyle, do you use fingerpicks or nails or flesh? I think that may play into your decision of the guitar’s top.

I’m flesh-only, so that’s already pretty mellow on my Martin OM-21 and Eastman OM spruce tops.

With the brands you offer, I would lean towards the Furch. I’ve played a friend’s Stonebridge guitars in the past (my understanding is that Furch labeled their guitars sold over here as “Stonebridge”) and it was a well-built and good sounding guitar. That’s been several years ago, and I suspect the guitars are even better today.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
OP—I may have missed it, but when you play fingerstyle, do you use fingerpicks or nails or flesh? I think that may play into your decision of the guitar’s top.

I’m flesh-only, so that’s already pretty mellow on my Martin OM-21 and Eastman OM spruce tops.

With the brands you offer, I would lean towards the Furch. I’ve played a friend’s Stonebridge guitars in the past (my understanding is that Furch labeled their guitars sold over here as “Stonebridge”) and it was a well-built and good sounding guitar. That’s been several years ago, and I suspect the guitars are even better today.

You’re right; Stonebridge is Furch rebranded for England and USA. Possibly named for the famous Charles Bridge in Prague. Nowadays they have confidence enough to use the original name.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 04-03-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbla4024 View Post
I played a dozen of Taylors and maybe hundred Furchs and I do not find their sound similar.
Neither do I, I do think they have a voice of their own, more modern and less dark than let's say a Martin, but still with some kind of vintage vibe that I don't find in Taylors
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion