The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-01-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexsblues View Post
I’d go for the Martin honestly. I have a lot of experience with Furch, and while they’re nice guitars, they’re very heavily built. They also will not retain value very well.
Interesting, thanks for the feedback. This furch is an OM with extra deep body. I wouldn't think it would be too heavy, but I trust your opinion. I really am leaning towards the Martin or Furch at this point.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Furch is probably the best bang for the buck in your list. My OM34sr cured me of longing for a Martin; it is easily in the same class as any equivalent US made model.

We own three Furch guitars at home now. My wife starred it off with her OM23sf (spruce/flame maple) which then promoted me to pull the trigger on my OM34sr (spruce rosewood) a couple of years ago and then most recently my Green Plus D12-sw (spruce walnut). All of them are exquisitely made instruments and a joy to play.
Thanks for the feedback. Hearing this really makes me want to get the Furch. I think I'm down to the furch or martin at this point. Honesty, based on forum feedback, it seems that people have more great things to say about Furch than Martin. That may seem shocking but it appears that way. For every 1 person that recommends Martin, another 2 people are saying go with Furch instead.

On the Furch OM Vintage 2 that I'm looking at: it has spruce top and Rosewood b/s. Both are AAA tonewoods. My only concern with rosewood is it being too reverby for recording purposes. Have you had that experience with yours? I will be recording with a mic positioned near the 12th fret.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBJones View Post
Another difference between the two 15's is that the OM is long scale, the 000 is short. Neither is particularly loud, but the OM gets a bit more volume.
Typically, that is true. But, for some reason the 000-15m and OM-15 are both 25.4"

I think the 15 series may be the only series that does that though...

Weird that it's the same.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Given this - I believe that you should consider the merits of a Cedar topped guitar as well. Typically, they are more responsive to a lighter touch than Spruce but also provide a warmer tone as well - kind of 1/2 way between Spruce & Hog in the warmth & tone department. Mahogany does better with a heavy r hand strumming than Cedar, but it doesn't sound like that's the way you play.

Just a thought.
That's a great point. Cedar is such a lovely, warm tone, especially for the OP's playing style. I owned a couple of each (Mahogany and Cedar tops), and I really found the Cedar tops more enjoyable.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Given this - I believe that you should consider the merits of a Cedar topped guitar as well. Typically, they are more responsive to a lighter touch than Spruce but also provide a warmer tone as well - kind of 1/2 way between Spruce & Hog in the warmth & tone department. Mahogany does better with a heavy r hand strumming than Cedar, but it doesn't sound like that's the way you play.

Just a thought.
The plot thickens lol.

So, I haven't played a cedar top in awhile. So, you're tasting that Cedar is warmer than spruce, but hog is warmer than cedar? Am I getting that right? Or cedar is brighter than hog?

Last edited by SasquatchLife; 04-01-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:56 AM

You are in good company with any of your selections. I'm not familiar with the Martin you looked at but I have played the OM 28 Modern Deluxe and it is great. A lot more than your budget goal however. You'll like the Eastman - they are very good all the way around and I've owned a few. What I can tell you from my experience is that the Furch is a tremendous guitar. I just picked up an OM 34 which is basically the Vintage 3 model with a torrefied Adi top and deep body. It is a cannon and I am pretty certain you will be impressed with the quality. The finish is hand buffed and is flawless.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
That's a great point. Cedar is such a lovely, warm tone, especially for the OP's playing style. I owned a couple of each (Mahogany and Cedar tops), and I really found the Cedar tops more enjoyable.
It's been awhile since I've played a Cedar top. So, like the other poster mentioned, Cedar is maybe better than hog because it responds better to light touch? I'm trying to understand the main differences between hog and Cedar. Why exactly did you find Cedar more enjoyable?
Old 04-01-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I’d go for the Martin honestly. I have a lot of experience with Furch, and while they’re nice guitars, they’re very heavily built. They also will not retain value very well.

This is the first time ever I’ve read that someone thinks they are heavily built!

With respect, we have three and none of them are what I would call heavily built. What’s more, most reviews I’ve read on AGF tend to veer towards light...

YMMV of course[emoji4]
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 04-01-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SasquatchLife View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Hearing this really makes me want to get the Furch. I think I'm down to the furch or martin at this point. Honesty, based on forum feedback, it seems that people have more great things to say about Furch than Martin. That may seem shocking but it appears that way. For every 1 person that recommends Martin, another 2 people are saying go with Furch instead.

On the Furch OM Vintage 2 that I'm looking at: it has spruce top and Rosewood b/s. Both are AAA tonewoods. My only concern with rosewood is it being too reverby for recording purposes. Have you had that experience with yours? I will be recording with a mic positioned near the 12th fret.

The Vintage 2 is the equivalent of my OM34sr. I don’t find it too reverby (is that a word...?) at all; the only reason my Taylor is my go to guitar is due to the electronics, it’s a great stage guitar. For recording and gigs where I take two or more the Furch is number one!

Best acoustic I’ve ever owned, one of the best I’ve ever played.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 04-01-2020, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

As MusicMan1951 said early on, don't choose your guitar based on what we say (or the number of responses for a particular brand). If you have concerns that the Rosewood guitar is a good fit, then why spend money on the Furch?

Any of the four guitars would be fine choices. And any of the four guitars can be completely wrong choices. You need to figure out which one will be the best fit for you (not us).
Old 04-01-2020, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SasquatchLife View Post
It's been awhile since I've played a Cedar top. So, like the other poster mentioned, Cedar is maybe better than hog because it responds better to light touch? I'm trying to understand the main differences between hog and Cedar. Why exactly did you find Cedar more enjoyable?
I just really love the tone to it. Mahogany can be woody, while Cedar comes across as pleasant and warm. Smaller body Mahogany can be bluesy or boxy, which doesn't really align with my playing style. I'm not a fingerstyle player, but I enjoyed playing the few fingerstyle songs I know and some lighter strumming on my Cedar guitars. My 2% playing probably aligns with your 90% playing, so take my feedback proportionately.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
This is the first time ever I’ve read that someone thinks they are heavily built!

With respect, we have three and none of them are what I would call heavily built. What’s more, most reviews I’ve read on AGF tend to veer towards light...

YMMV of course[emoji4]
I agree. As far I’m concerned that is not a notion that is typically applied to Furch. They have some VERY resonant guitars on offer.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 04-01-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:

YMMV of course[emoji4]
I'll pile on here. Every Furch I've played has been very lightly built. In fact one of the two I own is the lightest acoustic I own or have ever played. Furch makes extremely resonant guitars, due partly to this light build and I am very impressed with them.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 04-01-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBJones View Post
Another difference between the two 15's is that the OM is long scale, the 000 is short. Neither is particularly loud, but the OM gets a bit more volume.
No. Both of those guitars have a 25.4" scale.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
They are light builds. Using Mediums is probably riding the edge. They almost look underbraced, though not, as the guitars are intelligently engineered.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion