The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-28-2020, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

During today’s live stream I compared 4 acoustic guitars in a blind test and the results were very interesting. Check it out if you’re bored. The comparisons begin when the screen switches to black.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
During today’s live stream I compared 4 acoustic guitars in a blind test and the results were very interesting. Check it out if you’re bored. The comparisons begin when the screen switches to black.
Blind, my favorites were (2) D-18, then (1) HD-28. The other two were not even close. What was (3)?
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 03-28-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Blind, my favorites were (2) D-18, then (1) HD-28. The other two were not even close. What was (3)?

Inquiring minds want to know... :-)
Old 03-28-2020, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Inquiring minds want to know... :-)
SPOILER 3 was the Sheeran by Lowden and 4 was the Rainsong but 4 and 1 were most liked in the live stream.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
SPOILER 3 was the Sheeran by Lowden and 4 was the Rainsong but 4 and 1 were most liked in the live stream.

Ah, I would probably take any of the full size guitars over the Sheehan/Lowden. LOL

I like the sound of the RainSongs.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
If I had loved the Anthem's tone, it would still be in my guitar, regardless of the unplugged tonal change. The reality is, I just didn't really like it. There's something about the tru-mic that I don't really love. I still think it has more of a SBT type of quality sound vs. that of a good mic. I didn't find it to be plug and play at all really. I still remember two shows where I was doing sound check and my guitar sounded honky with tons of mid range. This was to the point where my band mates asked if I had another guitar to use.

I think it's true though, there's no one pickup that will suit everyone. I have yet to find a pickup that makes my guitar sound big through a PA and that's been a constant struggle. I still really want to try the LB6 but it's a pain that it needs to be shaped and that it needs to be soldered to an endpin jack. I am still considering getting one and removing the micarta and trying it with a tusq sadde. Tusq just sounds right in my Taylor.
I have an LB6 in my Goodall Rosewood Standard. It's a 1990 and was installed by James Goodall when he made the guitar. I have to say it's a pretty good pickup, quite natural sounding plugged in. I believe James Taylor still uses the LB6 in his Olson, Phil Keaggy too. Pretty amazing that the old original pickup technology still holds up. My son put in a Lyric in his Larrivee and I have to say I am not that impressed with it. Makes the guitar sound a little boxy.
Give the LB6 a try, pretty cheap experiment. As you know it is passive, you will need a pre-amp. I have good success with the Baggs Para DI.
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 03-29-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
I like RainSongs. What you can't hear on-line is how well they cut in a jam session when you give the strings a harder attack. My little parlors keep up with full sized guitars. I can play an electric guitar style blues solo and be heard over an HD-28 where the strumming player is not giving me any slack.

My new Vintage Dreadnought is the most Martin-like sounding RainSong to date that I've played. I am not sure why a thin veneer of spruce makes any difference except to influence the perception of the listener...
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification