The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-09-2020, 06:52 AM

Default By Request: Yamaha ‘Atmosfeel’ Review!

I was asked to review this system and I am VERY glad that I did!

Old 03-09-2020, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the review, Aaron. That system certainly does record nicely.

Can you tell us where the mic is located?

Have you had a chance to try the system in a high volume setting? I'm interested in finding out how effective that "bass" (anti-feedback) knob is. The fact that the guitar ships with a soundhole cover implies to me that feedback may be the system's Achille's heel.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:14 AM

Nice sound! I have always wondered why more companies don't offer a three pickup system, especially an aftermarket solution. I remember at one point I had considered a K&K and Matrix system and a lot of people mentioned that these pickups probably wouldn't compliment each other. Now I know with the Atmosfeel the sensor is not on the bridge plate but a SBT/UST system seems to sound pretty nice. I liked the tone even before you blended in the mic.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:21 AM

the mic is above the soundhole. See pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post

Have you had a chance to try the system in a high volume setting? I'm interested in finding out how effective that "bass" (anti-feedback) knob is. The fact that the guitar ships with a soundhole cover implies to me that feedback may be the system's Achille's heel.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:34 AM

The position of the body sensor leads me to believe that Taylor were on to something with the original Expression, it was just poorly designed. It would be neat if Fishman for example could design a pickup with the Matrix, one or two body sensors in the Atmosfeel position and then an internal mic. Maybe even an internal mic on the endpin jack. I am pretty sure Misi has a mic there on one of there systems and it seems to work well.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:52 AM

My problem with this system is the guitar itself. It's about the most blah...plain looking guitar I have ever seen. Some may like this understated basic look, but I would like a little more modern look. Would also prefer a cutaway. Not sure why they wouldn't make a cutaway design on a guitar meant for the stage?

Old 03-09-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
the mic is above the soundhole. See pic

Thanks for the pic, Jack. I wonder if that mic position is the result of experimentation or just a handy place to attach it to the control unit.

That system sure seems to record well. That's quite an accomplishment in itself.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
My problem with this system is the guitar itself. It's about the most blah...plain looking guitar I have ever seen. Some may like this understated basic look, but I would like a little more modern look. Would also prefer a cutaway. Not sure why they wouldn't make a cutaway design on a guitar meant for the stage?

I agree with you Jack, they are bland and dull looking. I have played a number of these and I really like their acoustic sound a lot. But the yellow top coupled with a dull mat finish.......they do not look attractive to me in person. Almost cheap looking but that is just a personal opinion. Hopefully the Atmsofeel pick up will be introduced to other Yamaha models.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:32 PM

Good point about the pickguard. I wish it were "quieter."
Old 03-09-2020, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Maybe I missed something, but I didn’t see you adjust the STB.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb1591 View Post
Maybe I missed something, but I didn’t see you adjust the STB.
That is fixed
Old 03-09-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post

I cranked it up. It did not feedback! If there is to be any it seems to be from the low end and the bass control can fix that. The mic is tucked away inside the guitar and only goes to 50%.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:20 AM

Awesome, thanks for the review!

To my ears I believe that would be a really workable sound in a live setting. When cranked to higher volume levels playing live my guess is that you wouldn´t need to boost the highs. Those get accentuated at higher db.

What a great live workhouse those guitars seem to be. And with the plain look I wouldn´t be too worried about it getting some dings and scratches.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I cranked it up. It did not feedback! If there is to be any it seems to be from the low end and the bass control can fix that. The mic is tucked away inside the guitar and only goes to 50%.
Thanks Aaron. Those are very encouraging observations.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:00 AM

I've yet to see one of these at any of my 3 local Guitar Centers. Wonder why Yamaha is taking so long to get these out?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification