The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyo View Post
Mmvs are ok,but for that money,I'd rather buy a larrivee d03,......
Well, like everything, opinions are worth what you pay for them. I would pay for almost any MMV before a ... Rather than pit one brand against another, how about just answering the OP's questions and not say that your preferred brand is superior because you like it better.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Well, like everything, opinions are worth what you pay for them. I would pay for almost any MMV before a ... Rather than pit one brand against another, how about just answering the OP's questions and not say that your preferred brand is superior because you like it better.
Ok,that's fair
Do yourself a favor and look at other brands
Dave
Old 01-18-2020, 08:26 AM

Personally, I have very little love for Martin guitars.
However, the MMV is the exception. There are others. But I’ve played a fair few MMV’s, and liked every one of them.
I used to think of them as the “poor man’s D28”.
Except the few I’ve played actually sound better than any D28 I’ve played.
Actually closer to the openness of an HD28.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 01-18-2020, 09:42 AM

Personally, I'd jump on it. I missed the chance 10 years ago and prices have only gone up. The strong brand loyalties here notwithstanding, while I love my Larrivee they sound completely different than Martins - so I have one of each. I actually passed on the D-03 and went with a D-16GT. If I'd have discovered an MMV prior to committing to the 16 I'd had jumped. I'm still kicking myself 10 year later.

That being said, if there's something else you really want then save your money. I'm holding out for a D-35.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

I've had two students with MMV D-size and one with the 000. All were nice, not remarkable but for a solid wood Martin not bad at all. As others have said, that price seems about right with a K&K. But frankly - and this is coming from a HUGE Martin fan with three top end Martins - I would check out the Eastman line up also. I think they are making some outstanding instruments in that price range and you could very well find one that beats that MMV, sound-wise and in terms of materials and fit-and-finish. Not trying to confuse things, sorry!

Gene
Old 01-18-2020, 10:03 AM

Having owned one, I would have another if I played dreads.
It had a tone that was very satisfying, and was an all round fine guitar.
One could do a lot worse.
(- the usual disclaimers apply of course!)
Old 01-18-2020, 10:03 AM

For the third time, will somebody comment on the weather cracks mentioned in the ad for that MMV? Does having cracks of some type not bother anybody here or is it just me?
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 01-18-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
For the third time, will somebody comment on the weather cracks mentioned in the ad for that MMV? Does having cracks of some type not bother anybody here or is it just me?
IIRC that was not the listing the OP was looking at. As for your issue, typically a listing like that - AND its price - will continue to sink until it either goes away or ends up being donated. If a guitar is neglected and you can't get 40% of the list price it's what we flea market types call a "white elephant."
Old 01-19-2020, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

I've played 3-4 MMVs and each was an excellent guitar. And that price is right in the ballpark.

Sounds like a good deal to me.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:54 AM

For the third time! The guitar that the OP is looking at to buy is NOT the one with the cracks. Got it?
Old 01-19-2020, 12:09 PM

I was ready to pull the trigger on an MMV until I played a Gibson J-15, which I liked a little more. They both should be about the same price used.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

"Weather cracks"???? If I recall - and I could be wrong because the students I've had with MMV's were with me a while back - but I *think* they had gloss tops and satin backs and sides. Finish checking on the front (assuming it is a gloss finish) would not be a deal breaker in a beginner guitar unless you just can't stand the looks of them. A larger issue would be: how well was it humidified? Was dryness the cause of the finish cracks? Or a sudden change in temperature that the guitar was exposed to? Of course there is probably no way of telling. But..... sharp fret edges are a dead giveaway to an under-humidified guitar. That condition (lack of humidification) can be dealt with via a room humidifier along with guitar humidifiers.

If "weather cracks" are referring to actual cracks in the wood, if it was me in this scenario, I would offer the seller a much lower price, probably in the range of $600 if - and only if - I really liked everything else about it. Cracks can be stabilized but on a less expensive guitar like this one cracks can severely impact the value compared to a high-end, vintage instrument.

Hope this helps.....

Gene
Old 01-19-2020, 12:31 PM

I sold an MMV Dread last year w/HSC for $775 in almost mint condition. Very nice guitars. The upgrades are worth about $75 max to the value IMO...with the dings I wouldn't go over $800.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 01-19-2020, 12:37 PM

I've played a number of MMV Dreads and OMs. I actually bought an MMV OM, but took it back because I liked it so much I was suddenly willing to pay the extra for a standard OM-28.

The Dreads and OM MMV are excellent guitars.

I also tried the MMV 0-12vs, but did not like it at all. It was too stiff and I had a hard time getting a nice ringing tone out of it. Maybe it would have broken in, but wasn't willing to wait for that.

Good luck.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
"Weather cracks"???? If I recall - and I could be wrong because the students I've had with MMV's were with me a while back - but I *think* they had gloss tops and satin backs and sides. Finish checking on the front (assuming it is a gloss finish) would not be a deal breaker in a beginner guitar unless you just can't stand the looks of them. A larger issue would be: how well was it humidified? Was dryness the cause of the finish cracks? Or a sudden change in temperature that the guitar was exposed to? Of course there is probably no way of telling. But..... sharp fret edges are a dead giveaway to an under-humidified guitar. That condition (lack of humidification) can be dealt with via a room humidifier along with guitar humidifiers.

If "weather cracks" are referring to actual cracks in the wood, if it was me in this scenario, I would offer the seller a much lower price, probably in the range of $600 if - and only if - I really liked everything else about it. Cracks can be stabilized but on a less expensive guitar like this one cracks can severely impact the value compared to a high-end, vintage instrument.

Hope this helps.....

Gene
The MMV are full nitro in gloss. The DSR at GC was the satin version; both are D-15’s with upgraded tonewoods.

For the 4th time, this is not the guitar the OP is looking at. Move along.

Even still, if it were looking at the guitar I’d consider finish checking to be a secondary cosmetic issue. That’s evidence of it being exposed to rapid changes in temperature where the wood expands or contracts at a rate greater than the finish can. If that can happen to the finish, then I’d be concerned about the integrity of the glue holding the guitar together and if any wood has cracked or separated/split.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
beginner, martin, mmv