The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-10-2019, 09:57 PM

I have a D-18GE (Sunburst) that I bought used and thought about trading it in on an Authentic. Then I played the Authentic and it had nothing on my GE. I wouldn't have traded the D-18GE for that Authentic even up.

These guitars were a steal at some of the prices they were selling at used a year or so ago. If I had Martin make me another dread in their custom shop I'd base it off the D-18GE and would only request these two changes: 1) change string spacing at the bridge to 2 1/4" (which would thin the neck slightly as well) and 2) add herringbone purfling like an HD-28. Well, maybe I'd 3) go with Evo gold frets, too.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Petrivoges, it was a Martin D-18GE that got me interested in finding a Martin D-18 for myself. At that time I couldn't afford that one in the store - it was probably four or five years later before the stars aligned and I had the money and found a used Martin Custom D-18 with an Adirondack top that was worth spending it on. Duff was correct that any all-solid wood guitars will vary in tone, somewhat, between one instrument and another. As a general rule, though, those Golden Era D-18GE models do tend to be fine-sounding guitars.

One caveat with them, though, is the neck profile; you may or may not like it. Truthfully, I prefer the modern low profile neck profile and the Custom Shop D-18 I bought used has it. (I also ordered it for the Custom Shop 00-21 I've since received.) But some players like a more substantial neck than I do, and more power to them.

Just be aware of that going into any negotiations for this guitar, particularly if it's going to be long distance transaction.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
I have played a couple of D-18GE guitars and they were both unusually good guitars. If you like the D-18, the D-18GE is, at least to me, a cut above. They are terrific bluegrass guitars because they have great projection.

However, Wade's point about the neck is valid. That D-18GE neck gets pretty thick as you go up the neck towards the body. I think if I had bought one, I would have gotten used to it, but some players never can adapt to that thick neck.

- Glenn
Old 07-11-2019, 03:05 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Most comments focused on the Martin and the Larrivee got very little attention.
I'll take that as the D18 GE is worth the hype.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrivoges View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Most comments focused on the Martin and the Larrivee got very little attention.

I'll take that as the D18 GE is worth the hype.

To be fair, the Martin was in the thread title so that is clearly where the attention would fall, but I’ve never heard a bad word said about the GE’s (except maybe the neck profile, don’t know from personal experience).
Old 07-11-2019, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousDevil View Post
To be fair, the Martin was in the thread title so that is clearly where the attention would fall, but I’ve never heard a bad word said about the GE’s (except maybe the neck profile, don’t know from personal experience).
Yeah...the neck profile is Mod-V. I like it but there are some who much prefer the MLO. I have both and play both w/o issue.

The Larrivee is a fine guitar as well but in a different class (to me) than the D-18GE.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-11-2019, 09:21 AM

I have a 2004 D-18GE that I picked up a few years ago, and it comes closer to my departed 1952 D-18 (and it was stellar!) than any other guitar I've touched. I've played GEs and Authentics....I love 'em both, but the GE is an exceptional value!
Old 07-11-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
. . . . D-18GE. Hands down the best D-18 to be had other than the Authentic 1937 model or an actual pre war Martin IMO. . . .
Absolutely correct and in that order.

For the relatively small difference in price between a used GE and an Authentic, I'd stretch and opt for the Authentic. The price difference between the Authentic and a real vintage 1937 D-18? Now, that's a price difference of around 10 times.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:53 AM

Yes, the GE's are that good. It was one my greatest disappointments to see Martin discontinue the line before I was able to string together the bread to acquire one. Luckily for me, Jon at My Favorite Guitars exists to fill this need.

While I have only played a few Authentics and they are great, the GE's are definitely a cut above the standards and have a different tone profile than then authentics to my ear. They are great for bluegrass and any genre you need the acoustic to project and power through. Like others have mentioned, the neck is the only complaint I have ever heard from GE owners and has led some to let them go.

I went with the 000-18GE because it is the biggest sounding and best playing OM/000 sized guitar I have ever played and I prefer OMs' to D's. But, all of the D-18GE's I have played have been fantastic.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 07-11-2019, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4life7 View Post
Yes, the GE's are that good. It was one my greatest disappointments to see Martin discontinue the line before I was able to string together the bread to acquire one. Luckily for me, Jon at My Favorite Guitars exists to fill this need.

While I have only played a few Authentics and they are great, the GE's are definitely a cut above the standards and have a different tone profile than then authentics to my ear. They are great for bluegrass and any genre you need the acoustic to project and power through. Like others have mentioned, the neck is the only complaint I have ever heard from GE owners and has led some to let them go.

I went with the 000-18GE because it is the biggest sounding and best playing OM/000 sized guitar I have ever played and I prefer OMs' to D's. But, all of the D-18GE's I have played have been fantastic.
The 000-18GE is a "Little Monster" of a 000/OM size guitar!

Old 07-11-2019, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiva238 View Post
Absolutely correct and in that order.

For the relatively small difference in price between a used GE and an Authentic, I'd stretch and opt for the Authentic. The price difference between the Authentic and a real vintage 1937 D-18? Now, that's a price difference of around 10 times.
Problem is those D-18 Authentic 1937 models are hard to come by. Carter Vintage in Nashville had a couple of them a while back and those are the last I've seen?

Last edited by llew; 07-11-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:29 PM

I have had the opportunity to try GEs next to some pretty fancy vintage D18s and sometimes the GE sounds better to me. Tested one right next to a late 30s D18 and much preferred the GE. I have a 40s D18 and a GE and while they don't sound the same they both are good guitars. Can't say I prefer the GE to the 44 but I could live with either.

I think the GEs are built pretty right and I have found them to be pretty consistent. The top on mine is no great shakes. By comparison the top on my late 70s D18 is much cleaner, perfect, even, tight straight grain and color. But cosmetic grade sitka was available in the late 70s. My GE has the Adirondack skunk stripe a couple of minor imperfections and grain that goes from tiny to what I used to think was huge. But it sounds good. And lack of cosmetic goodness is the sacrifice for Adirondack most of the time.

The only real caveat I have is the neck. Not for everyone. If you are sensitive to neck shape, probably should try one first.

hunter
Old 07-11-2019, 01:04 PM

Some years ago, I got to try every hog dread in my local high end guitar store. They had a brand new D-18GE that stole the show from everything else including a couple of authentics. Other people in the store agreed. I don't as a rule buy new instruments, but that one was different. I went back two days later and it was gone.

Last month I came across a used GE at a really good price (sunburst too!) and pulled the trigger. Best guitar I ever played. My other one has a 1 11/16 nut width and it took me about 5 minutes to adapt. Whoever did the setup really knew their stuff because it plays like a dream.

I can see people with small hands might have a problem, but if the neck is setup right and the string height at the nut is correct, There will be no problems. Playing mine is effortless. Even with medium gauge strings it plays better than my SCGC D/PW. And that's really saying something!

When I got home I took it out and started playing, everyone came to look. The tone is amazing.

Last edited by leonski; 07-12-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Yeah...the neck profile is Mod-V. I like it but there are some who much prefer the MLO. I have both and play both w/o issue.

The Larrivee is a fine guitar as well but in a different class (to me) than the D-18GE.
I agree the neck is not for everyone. Funny, I have read many different results/review, some say it is very chunky and others disagrees. My OM-18V usually referred to "like a baseball bat size" I don't find that at all. I find the string spacing at the bridge could be slightly less. I have a OM-28V and that is perfect. One thing I do know with these Vintage/GE, they are super, super, light weight and full of grunt.

One thing I do know, I wouldn't swap my 'Vintage' for any guitar. But like I said, I wouldn't mine adding a 000-18GE to my collection.

Trust me, there is nothing wrong with a Larrivee, they are super cool guitars but no match for a GE.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:32 PM

I'll add my sentiment that the 2007 D-18 GE I owned and sold (to buy a Collings Mandolin of all things!) was a guitar I should have kept until the end of my life. Fortunately, not too long ago at long last I bought a replacement, a Martin CS Outlaw and I honestly think this new guitar exceeds my D-18 GE (and I certainly prefer it to the mandolin I foolishly bought). It is best described as the combination of a D-18 (mahogany b/s), D-28 (herringbone on an Adirondack VTS top), and the torrified, forward shifted, same-scalloped bracing of an Authentic (it even has the silk ribbon fabric strips lining the insides and a beautiful Brazilian veneer on the headstock!) -- all in one superb instrument. I have even become a big fan of the MLO neck. Nothing against Larrivee (I owned a wonderful 12 string some years ago), but there is a difference between the D-18 Martin tone and other instruments that just can't be beat. But then, I am a Martin mahogany guy (vs. EIR) and these are my thoughts. As an aside, if you can find a used Outlaw I'd say go for that (I have seriously digressed here, sorry), otherwise I'll bet you are supremely happy with the D-18 GE.

Last edited by Hobblecreek; 07-11-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The 000-18GE is more like a small dread than a 000/OM?
No ... The 000-18GE had a different (modified V) neck and Adirondack top, perhaps more carefully crafted. Buts it's more like a better (most would agree) 000-18 than like a dread. Adirondack top and different bracing produced a louder, brighter sound than the Sitka of the standard 000-18. Body size same 000/OM. No longer made except as a custom shop order, which also allows for other mods. For example, the Guitar Riot in Cleveland has one with an Englemann top available.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d18ge, larrivee, martin