The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-04-2018, 11:38 PM

Dmitry Nilov.Flexibility of joints, independence of fingers, elasticity and strength of muscles. [Left hand]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T31S40N52nk

Old 04-28-2018, 02:06 PM

Hello!

I'd like to present to your attention new educational videos by Dmitry Nilov.

Agustín Barrios Mangoré - La Catedral. [Dmitry Nilov, guitar]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvQSbQ7vxSU
Old 06-13-2018, 02:34 AM

Thank you for your question!
Dmitry Nilov's working upon the cantilena technique is based on next approaches:
The right hand's position:
- In Dmitry Nilov's opinion, the classical right hand's position (of Tarrega and Segovia), that is based on the muscular freedom and plasticity, is compulsive. It's very important.

The articulation of sound:
- The classical right hand's position provides the following advantages while performing:

Classical positioning of the right hand. Dmitry Nilov (Part I)

Classical positioning of the right hand. Dmitry Nilov (Part II)

- The main aim of this technique is to provide as long as possible duration of each note of the piece that is performed, meeting strictly requirements of scores. The sound shouldn't be shorten by no means, but conversely each note should be left in a last moment. It depends on the left hand's ability (independence of fingers and lightness of a wrist). It's difficult to achieve on a guitar, but the music is worth the cost.
- The sound is made by a nail, but touching a string by a tip of a finger is obligatory (it will provide a tactile contact with strings). Playing with a finger on a string and "preparation" can be used either as a stage of practicing, either in those cases when it doesn't affect the duration of the sound, either is determined by articulation. Otherwise the full-featured sound is impossible.

Preparation as a stage of the practice. Part 1//D.Nilov/

Preparation as a stage of the practice. Part 2//D.Nilov//
Old 07-07-2018, 10:34 AM

Dmitry Nilov: Working at a program

Responding questions that I occasionally receive in private messages.
Practice is a dialog with an instrument that consists of different stages. I'll point out just most evident of them.
1) You should have a precisely adjusted conception of a piece you perform. Otherwise I find no sense to start working with a text. This conception can later change, but it's strange if it doesn't exist at all.
2) Then comes the detailed study of the fingering which is based on your conception.
3) Scores' knowledge: it should be an easy job for you to write any fragment of a piece from memory.
4) While playing a piece you should name each note inwardly and accompany it with a visual control of your left hand.
5) You should be able to "play" a piece in a slow tempo without an instrument, but feeling it in your hands, looking in scores only and naming notes aloud.
6) ) You should be able to "play" all your program without scores and without an instrument with your eyes closed, naming notes inwardly and feeling a contact with an instrument.

It is a minimum.

It doesn't concern a music, but only a skill. Otherwise you'll have no freedom. These are only several examples of a practice while meeting which you have a chance to feel yourself freer. And also these is a technique. And it's also a minimum.

This should be a standard. At least for me it's a standard for last 15 years. Plus a technique and a literacy. And then it's possible to do smth if there is a background.

DN
Old 07-09-2018, 02:17 AM

Enrique Granados. La Maja De Goya. Dmitry Nilov
Old 09-03-2018, 04:15 PM

Dear all!
*The interview with Christopher Parkening appeared in the YouTube this August. It's very interesting in general. But I'd like to point out 2 replies of Maestro:
*GuitarCoop Interview Series - CHRISTOPHER PARKENING - Part 2/4

17:51* - The Sound

GuitarCoop Interview Series - CHISTOPHER PARKENING - Part 4/4

5:40*- Right Hand
In my opinion this is accordant to this theme...
Old 10-06-2018, 03:08 PM

Default My small home studio:) How I make my videos

DN:
Dear friends,
In order to show how I make my clips, video-replies etc. for you I place here a new video. It demonstrates a part of my filming process, what camera and light I use, how the process of filming looks like etc.
Also I try here to record the guitar of my fellow luthier from St. Petersburg Ravil Karimov and test the new pair of microphones DPA 4011.

And here is the result)

Hope, you'll like it!

Please, do not hesitate to ask me any questions you are interested in!
Old 01-04-2019, 03:40 AM

Hello!

I'd like to present to your attention new videos by Dmitry Nilov:

Isaac Albeniz - Asturias [Dmitry Nilov]

Old 03-17-2019, 02:28 PM

Hello!

I'd like to present to your attention new videos by Dmitry Nilov.
Alonso Mudarra Fantasia X [Dmitry Nilov]

Agustín Barrios "Un Sueño en la Floresta" [Dmitry Nilov]
Old 07-07-2019, 11:28 AM

Hello! New video by Dmitry Nilov

Luthier Timophey Tkach and Dmitry Nilov [English subtitles] mov
Old 09-09-2019, 07:54 AM

DN: "The initial idea was to present a new guitar, recording several works on it. The luthier asked me to play five Catalan songs by Miguel Llobet, taking into account the peculiarities of the instrument's design.
But the July presentation of the new guitar by Timophey Tkach didn’t confine itself to just playing.
Often musicians who already play at a fairly high level can’t understand what kind of instrument they are holding in the hands and are guided solely by intuition and purely personal feelings. The judgment of a guitar usually boils down to four or five trite phrases: "is comfortably to play", "strings are not high", "what a deep bass", "sounds like a grand piano" and "a terrific sustain". The last two characteristics come from aesthetes I'm often asked questions about the choice of an instrument, but I thought it would be right to address them to the luthier whose opinion has been authoritative for me since we met. All the more so because you, the subscribers to the channel Classics of Sound DN, were okay with it. Timophey's answers have come out very detailed, so I decided to divide them into four parts..."

How to learn to distinguish a good guitar from a bad one? "Attack" [Part1]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v

How to learn to distinguish a good guitar from a bad one? "The dynamics". [Part 2]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F59M5kRsRmA

How to learn to distinguish a good guitar from a bad one? "Evenness". [Part 3]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfAZIKHvqWI
How to learn to distinguish a good guitar from a bad one? "Timbre and sustain" [Part 4]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgDcOv4ANkM
Old 09-12-2019, 09:40 AM

Default Thanks

Thank you for embedding all this great teaching, SoundDN. I notice thread began in 2016. I would have missed the whole series if not for the updates. I intend to comb through from the beginning.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:26 AM

Thank you and further...

Conceptual differences between "fan bracing" and "lattice bracing" design. Questions to the master.

Old 09-20-2019, 11:26 AM

DMITRY NILOV. CLASSICAL GUITAR. VIEW FROM BEHIND THE SCENES...
The new article was recently published in "Da capo al fine" ("Igraem snachala").

We are happy to present to your attention the English version of this text:

https://muzkult.ru/news/47405274
https://gazetaigraem.ru/article/18141

The journalists continue discussing the traces of classical guitar development, that began 2 years ago in the article:
«Dmitry Nilov: “Academism is essential to my work”»

You can read it here:
http://classicsofsound.com/en/Media

Waiting for your comments and question, you can send them via Dmitry's web-site or web-site of the newspaper!
Old 11-06-2019, 11:40 AM

Dmitry Nilov plays Bach in Novosibirsk 2015 (Live):

Bach Sonata N1 g-moll (Excerpts)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical