The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-05-2019, 07:17 PM

The panels shouldn’t be very heavy unless the frames themselves are heavy. They work better in my experience if they can “straddle” the corners where the ceiling and walls meet. I used eyehooks and some thin chain. Just posted this picture in the “foam” thread in this form.

Also, I have a som that I have hung on one of those rolling garment racks. I will post a picture of those later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0B58CC8F-31B1-46EF-834B-47F4366F3D72.jpg (54.9 KB, 132 views)
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Thanks.. I am not able to move my desk. But will study your post.

KevWind's suggestion was to set up "facing" the wall... With Mics facing me... Is this what you are saying? Or the opposite.

Here's a photo of what I "believe" Kev was suggesting.

I don't want to get tooo confused..

Yes that was what I was suggesting ...

I believe sdelsolray was saying the other way around.
But that is because I was only talking about a recording position (since you did not mention mixing)
Where sdelsolray was talking about setting up a combination recording and mixing situation in a single location in the room , where you would want to be mixing facing the short wall (20') and you would then simply turn your chair around to record and face out into the room. Which is a good suggestion for a single spot for both and this is in fact the way I do it . But like he said you then probably want some more panels so you could have at least two or three also out in room between your recording position now (turned around) and the other short wall in your wife's office . And in a mixing situation like in Ricks photo it would also be beneficial to have some on the ceiling above the mix position .

I hope this is now more clear

I am guessing from "I am not able to move my desk" you are saying you will be mixing in some other location ??

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 01-05-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post
The panels shouldn’t be very heavy unless the frames themselves are heavy. They work better in my experience if they can “straddle” the corners where the ceiling and walls meet. I used eyehooks and some thin chain. Just posted this picture in the “foam” thread in this form.

Also, I have a som that I have hung on one of those rolling garment racks. I will post a picture of those later.
Very nice.. Thanks for posting .. I need to do something similar.

Yes indeed...... I'm beginning to understand why room Treatment is so important.

I can hear a huge difference in the recordings I have made today..

Last edited by JakeStone; 01-05-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
To clarify You are meaning from side to side or ( centered between the long walls of the room) yes ? But from front to back the middle position is not a good idea as I understand it, at least for a mixing position ????
I'm not an acoustical expert but I did mean the center of the room, or as far away from each wall as possible.

I wouldn't think that a good place to mix from - nor that it would be good for recording low frequency instruments. But for recording a guitar and voice, closely miced, my experience has been that the place farthest from walls is best.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes that was what I was suggesting ...

I believe sdelsolray was saying the other way around.
But that is because I was only talking about a recording position (since you did not mention mixing)

Where sdelsolray was talking about setting up a combination recording and mixing situation in a single location in the room , where you would want to be mixing facing the short wall (20') and you would then simply turn your chair around to record and face out into the room. Which is a good suggestion for a single spot for both and this is in fact the way I do it . But like he said you then probably want some more panels so you could have at least two or three also out in room between your recording position now (turned around) and the other short wall in your wife's office . And in a mixing situation like in Ricks photo it would also be beneficial to have some on the ceiling above the mix position .

I hope this is now more clear

I am guessing from "I am not able to move my desk" you are saying you will be mixing in some other location ??
Okay.. This makes perfect sense now.

Yes.. I will only be recording in this space and not mixing...

I am still experimenting tonight.. But things sound much better. I can actually hear some solid bottom end out of my J-45.. the highs are not ice picks either!
Old 01-05-2019, 11:57 PM

Here is my garment rack converted into a rolling panel. I got this at Lowes. You can also achieve the same thing by using cheap mic boom stands and just make the boom arm form a “T” with the stand and han panels off of them. In fact, you can see a stand that I use for this purpose in the left of the photo. I got the cheap “amazon basics” ones for next to nothing. The hooks attaching the panels to the garmet rack are extra shirt hangers that I screwed directly into the frames of the panels. They were free and work perfectly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B9CC3F32-5594-489B-B791-F21082A42E6E.jpg (38.4 KB, 128 views)
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:14 AM

Thanks for those ideas Gwlee.
I have a few more pieces of Rockwool.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:54 AM

Thanks everyone that replied yesterday ..
Just what I needed to move forward.

Last night, I recorded my son playing my Martin OM-21.
Glad he was home .. because his playing is WAY better than mine

We tested a variety of things. But this clip stood out.
Note the photo in the video is not where the mic was placed..

Mic was a single Octava Mk-012 about 12-14" from around the 13th fret.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Here are the stands that I made basically out of 1 by material, in this case leftover alder trim boards from a construction project, but you can use pine or fir ect. They are just cut to size and screwed together
(Also just for trivia sake these movable type absorber panels are sometimes referred to as "gobos" ) I have no clue why

This is the stand itself

And with the panel mounted

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 01-06-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:04 PM

KevWind.

Those look nice! I bet even I can make those..

Ya.. I heard of them being called "Gobos"..

From Google " Gobo is a sound recording term for a movable acoustic isolation panel.

In typical use, a recording engineer might put a gobo between two musicians to increase the isolation of their microphones from each other.

The origin of the term "gobo" is obscure, but is most likely short for "go-between."
Old 01-06-2019, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

It depends how the room sounds. I'm not into total isolation. There's nothing like a good sounding recording space.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-07-2019, 08:37 AM

I have all my panels mounted using hook-and-eyes (eyes on the walls) so I can easily take them down and move them when needed.
For best isolation when recording acoustic guitar, I will put two in front of me in a 'V' - this captures the immediate sound coming from the guitar - meaning less is going to be bouncing around the room. As I have the other panels still on the wall (or ceiling cloud), that's all I need to do -the room is not large. In your case, take the other 4 panels and arrange them in a larger 'V' behind you.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-07-2019, 02:16 PM

Thanks for your reply.

This sounds good too!

I think I need more panels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I have all my panels mounted using hook-and-eyes (eyes on the walls) so I can easily take them down and move them when needed.
For best isolation when recording acoustic guitar, I will put two in front of me in a 'V' - this captures the immediate sound coming from the guitar - meaning less is going to be bouncing around the room. As I have the other panels still on the wall (or ceiling cloud), that's all I need to do -the room is not large. In your case, take the other 4 panels and arrange them in a larger 'V' behind you.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:34 AM

Jake, my attic studio might be smaller than yours but it probably has some of the same shape freatures. I asked Auralex for some advice and roughly followed it with decent results. As you can see it is a mix of bass traps and foam panels. Doug is right where (in another recent thread) he points at the absorbtion capacity of the panels which only deal with the high frequencies. And of course you need sufficiently thick and quality panels. There is nothing wrong with them as suggested by some here. For purely recording acoustic guitar I would love to have a bigger room and could do with less treatment (to get some 'air') but all my recording equipment is in my attic studio and impossible to move around. The air (where necessary) has to be created digitally. Karel

My lyrics and music on Youtube

Last edited by Karel; 01-08-2019 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:29 AM

Awesome Karel .. I wonder if I need to bite the bullet and do some more permanent.

Here is my set up now. I play mostly singer songwriter type stuff.

Here's a short test clip.. I made last night.
Still not crazy about the sound.

This was using 1 AT2035 LDC about 12-14".. Situated to record guitar and vocals together.

Last edited by JakeStone; 01-08-2019 at 07:43 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD