The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-27-2023, 09:29 PM

Default S. Yairi 5031

Greetings! First time post.

I am returning to classical guitar after almost 40 years of abstinence (to play piano, harpsichord, and become a first-rate music engraver...guess which one paid the bills!). Am really out of touch with the guitar world.

After playing my $85 Aria, and then borrowing my friends Kohno 10, I realized how much I want a better guitar. I love Kohno, used to know a wonderful Kohno 20, but it's a bit out of my reach at the moment. I think older Japanese guitars are the way for me.
I have the opportunity to buy a rosewood 1970 S. Yairi for about $900. I haven't seen it yet, but want to gather info about it before I do. The label is signed S. Yairi, says it is No. 88, and that it is CLASE 5031. I think this means it is a model 5031, serial number 88.I would attach a pic of the label but can't quite figure out how to do so.
I get the sense that this may be a pretty nice instrument for the price. At the same time, I see other Yairi's both K and S, at lower prices. I'm not clear as to where the 5031 stands in the pecking order of S. Yairi. Any thoughts extremely welcome and appreciated.
I know with Guitars (and pianos, and prob. everything else worth having) one Model XYZ can be very diferent then another model XYZ. Just trying to get some sense of it before I see it.
Thanks!
Old 11-28-2023, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Hi,
Welcome to the forum! and glad you found your way back to the guitar.
I used to own a Yairi way back when. I think mine was a K. Yairi, however. It had a cedar top, and laminated indian Rosewood back and sides. (Pretty sure).
It was also under $500. (at the time), so maybe the S. Yairi models are better in this regard.
The important aspect I recall though was that, back then, the Japanese-made Yairis were largely copied on the Spanish Ramirez models popularized by Segovia. As such, they were long scale instruments, i.e. 660mm+.
That's a factor that may impact playability, so having a chance to try it out first would be worthwhile.
Also, I thought mine sounded good at first, until I tried my teacher's genuine Ramirez 1a, which I ended up buying. It also had the long scale, but it sounded A LOT better. Your experience with the Kohno reminded me of that.
In summary, it may be a good deal, but if I were you, in that price range, I would also give Yamaha guitars a look to compare, both tone and playability wise. They offer great value at that price range and under. Many models and specs. They are all well made.
So, I do hope the Yairi floats your boat, but if not, there are other options to consider.
Good luck, and mostly, enjoy your return to the guitar!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 11-28-2023, 11:00 AM

Thanks, Andre, good advice!
I'm a little muddled about the scale length thing. I''m in my 60's, not as spry as I used to be, hands stiffer. Shorter scale might help.
The guitar market sure is odd now, at least to me. I can't imagine buying a classical guitar without playing it. Even when I bought my $85 Aria, I went through a lot of $100 guitars before I found one I could live with.
PeteyWheatstraw
Old 11-28-2023, 11:03 AM

Also, Andre,here's a little tidbit from "Richie" in 2007:
"S. Yairi guitars are closer in style to Yairi & Son guitars than K. Yairi guitars. Guitars made by Yairi & Sons have a distinctive Japanese influence, while K. Yairi classical guitars are either based upon Torres bracing and construction or Ramirez - Madrid school guitars."
That sounds good to me on paper - hopefully it will also in real life!
Old 11-28-2023, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyWheatstraw View Post
Also, Andre,here's a little tidbit from "Richie" in 2007:
"S. Yairi guitars are closer in style to Yairi & Son guitars than K. Yairi guitars. Guitars made by Yairi & Sons have a distinctive Japanese influence, while K. Yairi classical guitars are either based upon Torres bracing and construction or Ramirez - Madrid school guitars."
That sounds good to me on paper - hopefully it will also in real life!
Interesting! Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. It also confirms my impression of that K.Yairi guitar I owned. Appearance alone, it looked very much like the Ramirez.
As such, the S Yairi might be much better in this regard. I hope so for your sake. Long scale lengths might have made good sense for concert performers like Segovia, who used no amplification, but they just make things more demanding for us regular folks. They're not necessary.
It's all subjective of course, but scale lengths in the 630...650 range are much friendlier. Even shorter ones work well.
Kenny Hill, a well respected builder and player, is a fan of shorter scale classicals. He might be someone else to check out. He has a wide range of offerings, from student models built under his supervision to his own signature builds.
Enjoy the search. It's all good.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical