The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-13-2019, 01:18 PM

Default Could using different guitars actually hurt your playing?

Hello all,

I once heard something about this a while ago and wondered if anyone else has heard of this or experienced it. I just recently got back into playing and have been practicing as often as I can. I have however noticed that I have a problem when I switch between say a Les Paul and a Telecaster for example. It takes a long time for me to adjust and sometimes I have to stop playing because nothing seems to work for me. I know most of it comes down to practice, learning better technique, etc but is it possible since I am rediscovering my playing that switching between different types of guitars is actually nerfing my progress? Do you think until I get back up to speed I should focus on one main guitar?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you!!!

Electric Guitars:
Gibson, Fender, ESP, Schecter, Jackson, PRS
Old 08-13-2019, 01:33 PM

Playing different guitars can't hurt your playing. I think it can help in many cases by lessening dependence on a specific guitar's properties. (Personally, I enjoy moving between different guitars and even acoustic to electric, or steel string to nylon string, or guitar to bass.)

OTOH, the act of switching CAN introduce some physiological 'confusion' that sounds like what you are experiencing.

You might try sticking with one per day and see if the issue goes away, until you feel comfortable enough with your technique that you can try switching again.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 08-13-2019, 04:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Actually the opposite is true in my experience.

I believe that playing different guitars is healthier for your hands.

Howard Emerson
Old 08-13-2019, 04:50 PM

I experience this when switching between some of them more then others.

In general, I rotate thru the 4, playing each for about a week at a time. The first day with each might be a bit rough but then things smooth out.

That's a Martin MMV dread, L-00, J45 and a Santa Cruz D 12 fret. All different and all awesome.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:51 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I remember the days when Steve Howe was taking eleven guitars on tour with him and playing each one on a different piece.

I've experienced what you are talking about. There is a phase in your playing when you become, as Gordon put it, dependent on a particular guitar's physical properties. I can encourage you that if you stick with it you break through. You might still have a proclivity for a particular class of guitar but you can get quite comfortable with several.

Here's a typical load-in for sessions I play:

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-13-2019, 05:05 PM

I agree with most of what has been said, developing the ability to adapt can only help you long term, if if it feels awkward short term.

That said, my hand does prefer certain neck shapes over others, even after having played something quite different for several days or even weeks.

Played my GT90 as my main electric for about 10 days straight, picked up my Squier '72 Thinline and it just felt "right".

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-13-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414CE Koa View Post
I just recently got back into playing and have been practicing as often as I can. I have however noticed that I have a problem when I switch between say a Les Paul and a Telecaster for example.
You might be sensitive to the differences in scale length.

George
Old 08-13-2019, 08:10 PM

Thank you very much for your responses! You all make very valuable points. I will work through it. Tone gopher I think you might have a point on specific differences. I have noticed I have the hardest time adapting to the Tele and Jackson which do not have stop bar tailpieces. Every other guitar I have has one. When I get it right with the Tele though it is one of my favorites to play! I'm just glad it isn't anything crazy.

Electric Guitars:
Gibson, Fender, ESP, Schecter, Jackson, PRS
Old 08-13-2019, 09:24 PM

In a word, no. I play everything from violin, viola, mandolin, mandola, octave mandolin, banjo, mandocello. Its great cross training. My guitar playing got way better as soon as I took up mandolin 11 years ago.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:37 PM

55 years of playing all kinds and types of guitars, banjos, and ukuleles I've never had a problem. The key is to practice with them all.....often.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:00 PM

I think you should play any guitar you like, but if there are any major differences in ergonomics then it make take some getting used to.

One of my friends invited me to come play lead for him one night years ago and that I could play his Les Paul, which totally threw me off anywhere above the 15th fret. Now that I've mostly been playing as an acoustic soloist for some time it's pretty easy for me to get around all the way to the top on a Les Paul, even though they're so much different.

If others can play a particular guitar, you can too.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 08-14-2019, 08:16 AM

The story of Bert Jansch might be relevant here. He owned a guitar when he began (age 15-16), but it was stolen after a year. For the next four or five years he played only on borrowed guitars. That period (1961-65) is when he made a name for himself on the UK folk scene as possibly the more astonishing acoustic player of his generation, and recorded his first two albums, which are still influential today.

IOW, you could argue that his experience with a wide range of other guitars (of a wide range of quality too) made him the great player he was. Certainly he wasn't fazed by having to play a different guitar, maybe for each gig.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have heard from symphony and orchestra musicians (and one even a forum member here) who have to switch different sized instruments throughout a piece, that the best way to practice is to actually practice rotating through your different sized instruments when you sit down to play. Through repetition and training your hands to sense the difference over and over again, your hand and brain start to more easily recognize the change and can adapt.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-14-2019, 10:55 AM

I think this is like so many things- it depends on the individual.

Assuming the guitars you have are comfortable to play, switching between them may be a matter of a short adjustment time.

Some players, successful rockers, have a considerable number of guitars that they play.

The late Tom Petty had oodles of gits and appeared to do well with any of them.

Jackson Browne has a great number of J 45s. Is it because they have the same physical feel or because they are sonically kindred or both? I don't know.

I suspect most players adjust quickly going from one guitar to another. But that is just my speculation.

I don't see how playing multiples could hurt a player. I do think it is preference.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:44 AM

Default One other advantage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageTone View Post
I experience this when switching between some of them more then others.

In general, I rotate thru the 4, playing each for about a week at a time. The first day with each might be a bit rough but then things smooth out.

I do this too. Since I live in a dry climate, this allows me to dare to leave the weeks' guitar ready on a stand, while the others snooze safely in their humidified cases.

There is a readjustment period, however. Switching back from bass electric guitar is the worst. "Are these strings, or spider webs?"
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write