The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-07-2019, 06:01 AM

Default Online Lessons

Hey all,
I introduced myself in another thread an mentioned guitartricks. I bought the year package, with a 60 day money back guarantee, and I must say I'm thinking about taking advantage of that. I tend to agree with this quoted text:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
I've been subscribed to GuitarTricks for about 2 months. I'm a returning beginner - played for several years as a little kid, quit at 12 years old, and picked up the guitar again at 45 in December of last year.

I'm about 1/4th through the "intermediate" course. Most of the beginner course was review for me. Some helpful basics in the beginner and intermediate course work, and the instructor is very competent, but OMG is she BORING. I dread the lessons, just like back when I was 12 in my instructors basement playing Sloop John B and begging to play something I recognized. I think they have songs to practice on but to be honest I have not tried those yet. I did the monthly so I can cancel anytime.

I desperately want to stick it out and get through the intermediate stuff - but really I shouldn't be feeling like this. It should be fun and rewarding.

Justin Guitar - whom others have recommended, is fantastic. He makes it fun and interesting by mixing in songs and keeping it interesting. I'd start there and if you want to get into more of the blocking and tackling basics you can go to Guitar Tricks. But do the monthly subscription in case you want out....
I started with Justin Guitar, and I think it's better for me to have "one teacher," even online, than the myriad of choices at guitartricks, and the main beginner teacher uses her own songs, which I find very boring. I guess my question is, will I regret losing all the admittedly varied choices at guitartricks if I go back to just using Justin Guitar?

Another question, my current plan is to give myself a year with online lessons and if I stick with it and improve, get a local teacher. Would I be better off going with a local teacher earlier? I like what some said in other threads I read about a teacher keeping one accountable. I don't feel like I need that, but I do feel like I need honest feedback and to ensure I'm not making bad habits.
For folks here who have recently, say in the past year or two, made the leap from beginner to intermediate, how did you do it?
Old 08-07-2019, 06:12 AM

I’ve done it several ways and for me having a teacher that’s putting together an individualized lesson plan and to whom I’m accountable is by far the best way to go.

I’ve tried in person teachers and teachers via Skype and have found no difference in efficacy. It just all depends on getting a good teacher.

I’m sure there are lots and lots of good online instructors but I would recommend Campfire Guitar Star. Funny name but goo people.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write