The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-24-2017, 05:07 PM

Default How many gig with a Line 6 L3T?

I'm starting to pick up some regular gigs and branch out on my own. I play a mixture of originals and covers, with guitar and mandolin. I may be adding some bass drum and tambourine ala Shakey Graves style if I can pull off the coordination...

I've been researching PA solutions to supplement the Loudbox Performer I already own. From reading around here, I'm impressed with the Line 6 L3T, and am curious how many people haul these around with them.

A lot of what I'm doing now is solo, but I also play with a variety of others from time to time. I like the live recording capabilities and input capacity of Soundcraft's Signature 22 MTK to feed the L3T.

So my idea is to use this setup with my Loudbox functioning as a monitor. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

One challenge is that I live in Alaska and there aren't a lot of speakers available to audition. I can order the Line 6 through a local shop who won't charge me shipping, but I'd be buying it blind.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:49 PM

I have a l2t. The only drawback is weight. The L3t is 57 lbs. Yikes! The sound is amazing but think about lugging that around.

You need a 22 channel mixer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 04-24-2017, 11:13 PM

I'm trying to put together a setup that will work in a variety of situations. I just landed an outdoor wedding where I need to provide the sound, so I felt the larger L3t would be the smarter choice. Although most of my gigs have been small restaurants and bars. I figure down the road I'll be able to have different speakers depending on venue requirements, I thought it would be wise to start with too much rather than not enough.

Same concept for the mixer. I play with a 5 piece band from time to time, so the extra inputs will come in handy. If Soundcraft made that mixer in something between the 12 and 22, it would probably be a better fit. (I'm looking at the MTK line because I like the live recording options it provides)

How would the L2t do for outdoor shows, say 50-75 people? I thought about getting two L2t's, and only bringing one for the smaller venues...
Old 04-25-2017, 03:05 AM

I've been gigging for over 40 years. Used to haul heavy gear but no more. Just sold two EV powered 12 inch speakers to go with a single Yamaha DBR10. The new powered speakers combine light weight with crazy high SPL output. I've admired the L2 and L3 speakers but no way Id haul them when you can get as much SPL out of smaller lighter units. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2015 Larrivee OM40 WL
2015 Seagull Performer Mini Jumbo Q1T
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Yamaha DBR10 powered speakers
Behringer XR12 digital mixer
M Audio Bass Traveller headamps with Shure IEM's
Old 04-25-2017, 09:23 AM

Check out the Behringer xr18 digital mixer. Small, light and can do pretty much anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2017, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

My Line 6 L2t sounds great with nice features but is a bit heavy, as mentioned, at 39 lbs.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-25-2017, 12:32 PM

Default How many gig with a Line 6 L3T?

If you are mounting this L3t speaker on a stand, you should be aware it is almost 60 lbs. 60 lbs doesn't sound too bad until you do it a few times. Personally, I think the L2t was an excellent solution for any performer. But, at almost 40 lbs, I felt it wasn't very convenient to lift onto the pole. I ended up selling it and going with the JBL Eon One. Like the Bose L1's, there is nothing to lift, and I like the dispersion benefit.

Other than weight and size, there is really no downside to the L3t. It has a very capable two channel mixer on board. As you mentioned, the outboard mixer will give you even more flexibility. Before you commit to buying anything, you should consider testing the Line 6 and trying to mount it on a pole in a store. Also, consider some of the line array options designed for solo performers. Sometimes, dispersion, or coverage, is more important than SPL when you are trying to do something like an outdoor wedding. That's were the Eon, Bose L1, etc. have some advantage.

As far as using your amp as a monitor, that's a great idea. Some of the best guitar players in the world do that. In fact, you can perfect your sound in the amp, and DI it to your mixer or a more conventional PA system. However, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better mixer for acoustic guitar than the one built into the Line 6. That is the chief benefit of the L3t versus a traditional powered speaker. For small gig's you can plug straight in and sound great. If you are always planning to use the outboard mixer, then you can consider saving money (and weight) by looking at Presonus Air, or the (now on closeout) QSC K speakers.

[Edit: I'm sorry but I just saw the mixer you're considering. Are you really looking at an $800 mixing desk with 22 channels? That seems excessive for an individual player no matter how many 'do dads" you use. You'd need more than one speaker for that kind of show.]

Last edited by martingitdave; 04-25-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the replies and feedback! I did reconsider the 60# weight of the L3, and went to a local music shop to audition the Yamaha DBR/DXR/DSR line (the only speakers they carried). I was most pleased with the DXR12, but found all their speakers to have excessive hiss even with gains turned down and no inputs plugged in. The more the gains were cranked, the louder the hiss. The salesman thought it was the pickup on my Taylor 816, but unplugging from the speaker didn't change anything.

Although they don't carry Line 6, they are able to order me one and absorb the shipping cost to Alaska. I did heft the Yamaha DSR115 (~60lbs) and take it on and off the stand several times. It's not pleasant to do, but doable. I ended up ordering a L3t and gig bag for it, figuring that rolling it along isn't bad and with another person's help, schlepping it up stairs or onto the stand is manageable.

As far as the mixer, I'm debating between the Signature 12 and the 22 MTK. Although the majority of my playing is solo, I also play with up to 4 other musicians from time to time and really like the live recording capability and other features of the MTK line. I've considered digital mixers like the Behringer recommended above, but am more comfortable with analog interfaces.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyk View Post
Thanks for the replies and feedback! I did reconsider the 60# weight of the L3, and went to a local music shop to audition the Yamaha DBR/DXR/DSR line (the only speakers they carried). I was most pleased with the DXR12, but found all their speakers to have excessive hiss even with gains turned down and no inputs plugged in. The more the gains were cranked, the louder the hiss. The salesman thought it was the pickup on my Taylor 816, but unplugging from the speaker didn't change anything.

Although they don't carry Line 6, they are able to order me one and absorb the shipping cost to Alaska. I did heft the Yamaha DSR115 (~60lbs) and take it on and off the stand several times. It's not pleasant to do, but doable. I ended up ordering a L3t and gig bag for it, figuring that rolling it along isn't bad and with another person's help, schlepping it up stairs or onto the stand is manageable.

As far as the mixer, I'm debating between the Signature 12 and the 22 MTK. Although the majority of my playing is solo, I also play with up to 4 other musicians from time to time and really like the live recording capability and other features of the MTK line. I've considered digital mixers like the Behringer recommended above, but am more comfortable with analog interfaces.

Good news. You'll love the Line 6. Consider the portability of the mixer and plethora of cables too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-25-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:

The gig bag on wheels is a must. I got on for my l2t and have never regretted it.

Guild GAD25
Old 04-25-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos View Post
The gig bag on wheels is a must. I got on for my l2t and have never regretted it.

I agree. Even though I sold the L2t, I actually kept the bag! I use it to haul everything else I need for a gig.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Good news. You'll love the Line 6. Consider the portability of the mixer and plethora of cables too.
Yeah, I think I'm leaning towards the smaller mixer, the bulk adds up quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos View Post
Quote:
I agree. Even though I sold the L2t, I actually kept the bag! I use it to haul everything else I need for a gig.
I was reading reviews on that bag and it sounds like it may not hold up very well. What are your experiences with its durability?
Old 04-26-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I think I'm leaning towards the smaller mixer, the bulk adds up quick!

I was reading reviews on that bag and it sounds like it may not hold up very well. What are your experiences with its durability?

The wheels are small suitcase style wheels. The kind designed for indoor rolling. If you drag it around town, it won't hold up. You can equate it to a rolling duffle bag. If you need heavy duty, you'd need to order a rolling hard case. Unfortunately, there aren't too many options. Mine has held up fine going from the car to inside and rolling around.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
The wheels are small suitcase style wheels. The kind designed for indoor rolling. If you drag it around town, it won't hold up. You can equate it to a rolling duffle bag. If you need heavy duty, you'd need to order a rolling hard case. Unfortunately, there aren't too many options. Mine has held up fine going from the car to inside and rolling around.

Yes. I only use it for to/from car. And I don't drag it up stairs, I pick it up by the handle. Mine shows no signs of breaking.
Guild GAD25
Old 04-26-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I would be quite surprised to find out that hiss had anything to do with ANY modern powered speaker. I have a pair of DXR's and the only time I hear hiss is when something upstream isn't great. They're practically silent when the chain is good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification