The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-09-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
I can't believe anyone would pay $5K for a Fender strat like that.
I also don't care for the color. It's your fault your car gets low mpg, why complain about that? Whoever sold you that guitar got what you paid for.
I know of plenty of builders who can build a master built Strat-style for well under $3,000. My builder of choice estimated that my $3k B-Bender guitar on steroids would have been $9-10k from Fender Custom Shop. I'd rather buy 3 guitars from him and am working on it.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar1083 View Post
Start it at 3:46 - the whole video if you wanna watch

Nice..thanks.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
I know of plenty of builders who can build a master built Strat-style for well under $3,000. My builder of choice estimated that my $3k B-Bender guitar on steroids would have been $9-10k from Fender Custom Shop. I'd rather buy 3 guitars from him and am working on it.
Oh man but it means a lot to me that it says Fender on it.. : )
You know 7 years or so ago I was asking after a DeTemple,that guy makes Teles & Stratocasters..and his price was $8k for one. : (
When I told him I wanted a Short Scale Stratocaster he was not willing at all to do it saying.."What,you want me to redesign the guitar..no,I wont do it.." Then telling me the string gauge I use he could "wrap them around the neck & fingerboard.."
Well well..
Dennis Galzuka the guy who made these two pink things at Fender was ready to make short scale Stratocasters ,he just wanted to know which of two ways Id rather he do it.
After a good long talk I changed my mind & he assured me he'd make them feel easy to play.
I think you guitar at Fender Masterbuilt would probably be $9-10 retail but street 35-40% less. Still higher than you builder though.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz View Post
Check out the Law of Reciprocity.
Might explain much.
max
Id never read that before today but Ive long believed and live by it.
It was good to read some of that.

My problem is I sit there and expect in general,human thoughtlessness/crudeness.
I sit in the car and see people texting,and think to myself he/she goes into a family & ruins them.
I think maybe I just attract it.
I think of all the things that could go wrong and resulting consequences
& I curse it..
I probably attract it. : )
Old 06-09-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athana View Post
Nice..thanks.
you are very welcome

ADVERTISEMENT
Aitch Oh Double-U A Are Dee
Ef Are Eye Ess Sea Aitch E Are
Facebook.com/HowardFrischer
Ads by Google Adwords
Old 06-09-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Even more unbelievable is a person who actually ordered 2 like that : )

Its in the details of the making(one guy at a bench)who has looked for & selected certain woods that are resonant,personal attention and the most important..perfect necks..(which has been my biggest problem with guitars cause I use very low action).
This guy really did deliver two new Pre CBS guitars.
What do you think ?
I've played just 3 pre CBS strats. They sounded very different than my modern ones. If yours sounds like an older strat and has that "lighter" weight, I'd say you acquired a great guitar and made a fair deal.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:39 PM

its so hard for people to under stand how wood could go for $5,000+ i love the idea of a $30,000+ guitar and trying to understand what makes it worth that value
Old 06-09-2014, 04:44 PM

This is sort of what bothers me about the "vintage guitar" market. When I started playing guitar, back in the 60s, you could pick up a used Fender Telecaster at a pawn shop for about $75. Now, if you allow for inflation, it would go for about $750 in today's money. Anybody know anywhere you can get a Leo Fender-era Telecaster for that price?
It's not just a "you get what you pay for" attitude. It's our fascination with "antiques" and our willingness to inflate their price way over their intrinsic value.
I don't want to tell anybody what I paid for my Telecaster. That would be cheating.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Id never read that before today but Ive long believed and live by it.
It was good to read some of that.

My problem is I sit there and expect in general,human thoughtlessness/crudeness.
I sit in the car and see people texting,and think to myself he/she goes into a family & ruins them.
I think maybe I just attract it.
I think of all the things that could go wrong and resulting consequences
& I curse it..
I probably attract it. : )
That's the general idea of the Law. We attract what we feel. Sorry to be so forward, but after reading your post I felt compelled to offer that perspective to you.

So try an experiment. Don't bother with the chip, or the strap blemish for a few days. Just experience the positive in owning such a killer guitar. Really concentrate on the gratitude. I bet you won't notice people texting during this time. Just an idea.

I LOVE your Fender!

max
Old 06-09-2014, 05:36 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
This is sort of what bothers me about the "vintage guitar" market. When I started playing guitar, back in the 60s, you could pick up a used Fender Telecaster at a pawn shop for about $75. Now, if you allow for inflation, it would go for about $750 in today's money. Anybody know anywhere you can get a Leo Fender-era Telecaster for that price?
It's not just a "you get what you pay for" attitude. It's our fascination with "antiques" and our willingness to inflate their price way over their intrinsic value
But that goes for anything that is considered "antique" or "vintage" not just guitars... (hence the reason I paid a few hundred bucks for a WW2 fighter airplane instrument panel clock for instance).
Old 06-09-2014, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSK983 View Post
I get it. I would not be happy. I'd contact fender about the stain. Surely there is a way to get the stain out. Yeah that is a bad deal the guy dented the guitar. If he is a professional let him pay for it. He damaged it when it was in his possession. You'll tell people great things about him taking responsibility for his mistake and he gets more business.
I don't have time to read all of this. The Fender service pro dented your guitar. He should have business insurance, like Errors & Omissions, or similar. Regardless, he damaged it, did the right thing in offering to get it fixed, and could have resolved all the issues, stain, dent and stuck neck. You're not doing anything bad by taking him up on this. I've been in business and mistakes happen. Good businesses own up and fix it. It would be worse for him if he doesn't fix it and Fender finds out because they may not want him to rep them anymore if he doesn't show appropriate customer service. I'd let him get it fixed, then send a letter of praise to Fender, and send every bit of business I could find his way.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-09-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz View Post
That's the general idea of the Law. We attract what we feel. Sorry to be so forward, but after reading your post I felt compelled to offer that perspective to you.

So try an experiment. Don't bother with the chip, or the strap blemish for a few days. Just experience the positive in owning such a killer guitar. Really concentrate on the gratitude. I bet you won't notice people texting during this time. Just an idea.

I LOVE your Fender!

max
The issues with this Law are manyfold .
How does this work with the child suffering from disease ?
How about the good kid that catches a stray bullet or the good parent/s that have to bury that good child ?
Shall I go on ?
This Law lays blame on innocent victims . How can that be good ?
Not that good thoughts and deeds can reap rewards because they can , but they are no guarantee of good things .
There is evil in this world and it touches some of the best .
What was the basis of reciprocity for the Amish children that were murdered at the Nickel Mines school ?
Yes , we tend to find what we are looking for but .......
Old 06-09-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
[...]The Fender service pro dented your guitar. He should have business insurance, like Errors & Omissions, or similar. Regardless, he damaged it, did the right thing in offering to get it fixed, and could have resolved all the issues, stain, dent and stuck neck. You're not doing anything bad by taking him up on this. I've been in business and mistakes happen. Good businesses own up and fix it. It would be worse for him if he doesn't fix it and Fender finds out because they may not want him to rep them anymore if he doesn't show appropriate customer service. I'd let him get it fixed, then send a letter of praise to Fender, and send every bit of business I could find his way.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Oh man but it means a lot to me that it says Fender on it.. : )
You know 7 years or so ago I was asking after a DeTemple,that guy makes Teles & Stratocasters..and his price was $8k for one. : (
When I told him I wanted a Short Scale Stratocaster he was not willing at all to do it saying.."What,you want me to redesign the guitar..no,I wont do it.." Then telling me the string gauge I use he could "wrap them around the neck & fingerboard.."
Well well..
Dennis Galzuka the guy who made these two pink things at Fender was ready to make short scale Stratocasters ,he just wanted to know which of two ways Id rather he do it.
After a good long talk I changed my mind & he assured me he'd make them feel easy to play.
I think you guitar at Fender Masterbuilt would probably be $9-10 retail but street 35-40% less. Still higher than you builder though.
When ya have 30 some handmade guitars and basses, having the big names would mean I'd only have a third of what I have. If I'm spending $8k, it's going to be on a really nice acoustic or archtop.

Keep in mind that Fender was by design was meant to be a cost effective alternative to the archtops and semi-hollows of the day.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:05 AM

Default Overall, you do get what you pay for!

I don't understand the stain. How could the strap be on top of the guitar??? One wears the strap under the guitar, not over it. Please don't say you left the strap on the guitar when you put it in its case, or you draped the strap over the guitar and left it on a stand; if you did either, its solely your fault.

Further, Fender's with a gloss finish have a layer of clear coat and that stain is almost certainly on the clear coat and not in the paint itself. Anyone who knows much about painting could polish out that stain in a few minutes. Been there, done that, many times.

Finally, I have owned thousands of Fenders, and in general, the higher the price, the better the guitar will play. For example, for my son's PhD graduation present, he wanted a very specific USA made, standard telecaster. I went to about 20 or so music stores and tried out every telecaster that matched his wants. I kept going until I found one that played great (some guitars have that feel of almost being able to play themselves) and that's the one I bought for him. I have owned about a dozen or so Fender Custom Shop strats and teles, and all of them played like that tele I found for my son.

Over the years I have found that what you really get when you pay more is a guitar this is more likely to be a great player, but if you shop long and hard, you can still find great players in lower end models.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars