The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-26-2018, 04:29 PM

Default Inspiration

Glenn, I’m so happy you are on the quick mend pathway. You always inspire me to pick up the guitar and walk away from the iPad.
I think this tune would fit well in my repertoire, so it’s now moved to the top of the ‘to do’ list. I, too, love the melody.
I am also inspired to make a few recordings and add to this part of the forum. I’m just waiting for our new home to be finished so I can actually break out all my gear currently stored in a warehouse in San Diego.
Thanks, Glenn
Old 03-26-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

This is Dougie MacLean's song of Scotland called "Caledonia." This song was suggested to me as a possible song to record by Mach Buffet, my Australian YouTube friend and also on the AGF. Mach Buffet's family was from Scotland before he moved to Australia as a boy. Like Mach, I found that I liked this song a lot. I hope you like my attempt here at covering this sweet song.

I am just shy of four weeks since my right hip joint replacement surgery, but this time (compared to my left side) I made sure I did not lose my calluses on my fretting fingers. I am recovering a little faster than I did on the left side, too, so that helps in allowing me to make a recording like this. I was not able to record after the left side surgery until about 7 weeks, so this is considerably sooner.

Regarding the word "Caledonia," this was apparently a word the Romans used to describe Scotland way back in time.

The guitar is my Olson SJ, cedar over EIR, standard tuning, no capo. My arrangement is more like the way Nathan Carter plays this song here, which I like very much, except in my recording there is no accordion and I have a Midwest American accent instead of a Scottish accent. :

Thanks so much for listening!

- Glenn
Great rendering, lovely voice and playing as usual , hope that you will quickly recover from your hip surgery
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 03-26-2018, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryjoh814 View Post
Glenn, I’m so happy you are on the quick mend pathway. You always inspire me to pick up the guitar and walk away from the iPad.
I think this tune would fit well in my repertoire, so it’s now moved to the top of the ‘to do’ list. I, too, love the melody.
I am also inspired to make a few recordings and add to this part of the forum. I’m just waiting for our new home to be finished so I can actually break out all my gear currently stored in a warehouse in San Diego.
Thanks, Glenn
Hi Larry,

Well, if I have inspired you to learn something new, that is very cool! Hopefully, you can see all the chord shapes from the video. I can write out the lyrics and chords and post them here if that would be helpful. This is one of those songs where the chords are not terribly hard, though some of the chords, while not all that hard, are variations of the usual. For example, that one chord that is held halfway through each verse is a Cadd9. The 9th is the added D note on B string and there is also an added G on the high E string.

And I am so glad you like this version! Thanks so much for your comments! And how nice that you are having a new home built! I will look forward to hearing your recordings after you get settled!

- Glenn
Old 03-26-2018, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Madsen View Post
Great rendering, lovely voice and playing as usual , hope that you will quickly recover from your hip surgery
Hi Johan,

Thank you for commenting, for the kind words of support, and for the good wishes on recovery! It's much appreciated! I am doing well!

- Glenn
Old 03-27-2018, 02:36 AM

Excellent!
A wonderful listen!
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 03-27-2018, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
Excellent!
A wonderful listen!
Thank you FS!

Thanks for taking the time to weigh in and offer support! I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 03-27-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Thank you FS!

Thanks for taking the time to weigh in and offer support! I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
I always enjoy your music!
Everything is great here in Central VA. Waiting for some warmer temps so my old bones won't hurt so bad when I'm cycling. Also waiting for grandchild #9 to arrive. Life is good! Hope you're mending sure well and sure.
Vance
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 03-27-2018, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
I always enjoy your music!
Everything is great here in Central VA. Waiting for some warmer temps so my old bones won't hurt so bad when I'm cycling. Also waiting for grandchild #9 to arrive. Life is good! Hope you're mending sure well and sure.
Vance
Hi Vance!

Grandchild #9!!! Good for you and for your children! I hope that arrival goes safely and smoothly for all! I have 6 grand children. I love hanging out with my grand children!

And yes, warmer weather would be very good! I am looking forward to getting my grass cut and my garden in, but I need to do a little more healing before I start into that! And, the weather needs to get a little warmer!
Old 03-27-2018, 10:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Glenn, so nice to see you posting your music again - that was a quick recovery! Glad to hear that you are doing well. This song was beautiful - I wasn’t previously familiar with it. Wonderful playing, singing and recording, as always
Old 03-27-2018, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWSog View Post
Hi Glenn, so nice to see you posting your music again - that was a quick recovery! Glad to hear that you are doing well. This song was beautiful - I wasn’t previously familiar with it. Wonderful playing, singing and recording, as always
Hi Larry!

Great to hear from you! And thank you for your kind comments here!

And for me, too, this is a new song, but still it seems so familiar, like so many other folk songs we singing guitar players tend to encounter over the decades. And for that reason it was very easy to adapt to this song. Learning to sing it was the biggest challenge, just making sure I really sang the correct notes rather than the notes I wanted to sing myself. ( ...bad habit of mine!! ) And I still probably don't have it 100% accurate, but, ... to me it seems fairly close.

Regarding recovery from hip joint replacement surgery, I still have a fair amount of physical therapy to attend to, but I am recovering much more quickly this time. Ironically, I still have some work to do to recover my complete range of motion on the other side, and that surgery was 5 months ago now. The PT people are helping me with that, also. Even if I never get the complete range of motion back, I am way better off in terms of pain than I was before the surgeries. And, I think after the coming spring, summer and fall of outdoor work, I will be even stronger.

Thanks again for weighing in here, Larry!

- Glenn
Old 03-27-2018, 03:23 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Very nice, Glenn. I've never heard that song before but you played it lovely and once again singing while you're playing beautiful fingerstyle - not easy for the rest of us on our best days! That Olson sounds just incredible. So glad to hear that you're recovering well. You look good.

JR
Old 03-27-2018, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Beautifully done, Glenn. Thanks for introducing me to this song! And so glad you are back in top form
Old 03-27-2018, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Very nice, Glenn. I've never heard that song before but you played it lovely and once again singing while you're playing beautiful fingerstyle - not easy for the rest of us on our best days! That Olson sounds just incredible. So glad to hear that you're recovering well. You look good.

JR
Thank you JR!

I'm so pleased that you took the time to listen and comment here -- very nice of you, JR!

This is a good song for the Olson, where I wanted an accompaniment sound that was not too strident. The Olson has a very nice, rich, warm sound even played with the thumb pick that I use. Thanks for noticing!

And yes, I am recovering well. I just got back from another physical therapy session and I've been told I am doing super well. So I was very fortunate with this latest surgery!

- Glenn
Old 03-27-2018, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Beautifully done, Glenn. Thanks for introducing me to this song! And so glad you are back in top form
Hi Bob!

It's great to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time!

And I'm glad to read that for you, too, this is a new song! And the good thing about it is that it's not terribly hard to play on the guitar -- G, D, C, Em, Am... I played some variants of those chords here and there, but even if I had played the song with just those straight chords, I think it would have sounded good and been rewarding to play.

I hope you are doing well! I am doing quite well!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell