The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-21-2016, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Canadian luthier compliance with new CITES additions

I haven't been frequenting this forum for a bit ... apologies if this has already been covered exhaustively already (or if I've posted in an inappropriate spot on this forum). I knew of course of the CITES addition of all rosewoods this past September, but was made aware yesterday that a complete inventory of all rosewood parts and guitars (both in-progress and completed) have to be submitted to CITES by the end of this month, to be able to export the instruments legally in the future.

Here's an excerpt from an email from the head of CITES permit policy and operations, to Guillaume Rancourt of Rancourt Guitars (thanks to Guillaume and to Linda Manzer for forwarding it to me)

"The first thing we need to do is get an inventory of any guitar with rosewood or rosewood pieces that you have in your possession. You need to create a detailed list of what you have - # of guitars (finished or unfinished), # of pieces of rosewood that are shaped (and what shapes those are) and # of pieces of rosewood. If you have different types of Dalbergia spp (the scientific name for the entire family which will be under CITES protection), then this inventory needs to distinguish the quantities of each species. We need to get this list in our office (via email is ok), by end of 2016. This will serve to “certify” that your stock of rosewood is pre-convention (i.e. before the CITES changes occurred). We would also like to get a short summary of what your business is about – how you operate, how you track your guitars and stockpiles of wood and volume of exports per year. We need to get a sense of what we will have to manage for your business and ensure that we setup the right process for your business model.

When you ship a guitar after January 2nd 2017, you will need to obtain a CITES permit from our office. I have attached the application form. You will need to refer to the associated line item from the wood inventory that we have received and recorded in our files at the Canadian CITES office. NOTE: I have attached 2 versions of our permit application form – one is editable on the computer (no handwriting is required, but might not be compatible with your computer) and the other one is printable (handwriting is required).

If you receive new rosewood after January 2nd, 2017, this wood will have to enter Canada with a CITES export document issued by the exporting country. Please keep a record of that CITES document and send us a copy. We will have to update your wood inventory to account for that “new” wood."

I've also just talked to Michael Greenfield who confirmed that Canadian luthiers exporting guitars with rosewood components to the U.S. will need to submit CITES export documentation that will refer to this inventory list (apparently will take around 20 business days). He also confirmed that the recipient will not (thank goodness) have to submit CITES import papers too.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:14 PM

David,
Thanks for posting this. I'm primarily and electric and archtop builder and this is the first I've seen of this deadline. Are you able to post any contact details or a link where I can get this info? I have 3 electrics in production now that will be affected by this (Cocobolo) and being unable to export them would have a significant financial effect on me. I went on the www.cites.ca website and couldn't find the info you're referring to.

Many thanks!

-Geoff
Old 12-22-2016, 10:23 PM

Here's what I got from them...

Ed,

The registration/documentation means that you need to send us an inventory of the rosewood you have presently in your facility. A spreadsheet works nicely if you have multiple types of rosewood and multiple formats of rosewood (i.e. planks, fret boards, fingerboards, partially completed instrument, complete instrument, etc.). Provide a list of the type of wood, quantity of that wood in each of the formats you may have and approximately when you obtained the wood (does not have to be super precise). As well, please provide us with a short overview of your business, so that we can understand your operating model. As well, please provide a photo or copy of a label you affix to your finished guitars as a reference for us. Photos are always good to help us visualize what you are talking about 

If we have that list of wood, when you do require a CITES permit to export a finished guitar, you can request the permit and indicate that the source of the wood used for making the guitar is listed in the inventory provided to CITES Canada in December 2016, from the line item #x of the spreadsheet or list.

Any wood that you get after January 1st will be a bit tricky, since you will need to track whether it was imported into Canada (and you have the CITES documents for that) or you obtained for someone else, who will have to certify when and how the wood got into Canada. We can cross that bridge when you get there.

Cheers,

Lise Jubinville

Chef d’unité, Politique et opérations des permis CITES / CITES Canada - Organe de gestion
Gestion de la faune et affaires réglementaires / Service canadien de la faune
Environnement and Climate Change Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
[email protected] /Tel 1 855 869 8670

Head, CITES Permit Policy and Operations Unit / CITES Canada - Management Authority
Wildlife Management and Regulatory Affairs / Canadian Wildlife Service
Environment et Changements climatiques Canada / Government of Canada
[email protected] /Tél 1 855 869 8670
Old 12-23-2016, 09:43 PM

Ed,
Thanks for the response. This should help me get my info into them by the deadline.

Cheers,
Geoff
Old 12-23-2016, 11:34 PM

Don't forget to include all the rosewood and bubinga you have in your shop as well, so it can be used in the future...
Old 12-24-2016, 09:46 AM

Thanks again, Ed. I submitted my inventory this morning... hopefully it has everything they need.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:10 PM

I'm telling myself I can get it done on the 28th...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop