The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-04-2016, 10:48 PM

Default Comparing Halcyon & Martin 12 fret guitars

Hi Folks,

I've put down a deposit on a Lutz/Walnut NL-00 with Ed at Halcyon Guitars. I currently (mainly) play a mahogany B/S Larrivee 00-03 and a rosewood Thompson T2. Both are very nice guitars but with differing qualities. The Larrivee in particular has some tonal qualities I'd like to explore further. Ed and I chose the NL after discussion of what I was looking for - a stronger sound overall (than the Larrivee) with balanced, woody tone across the spectrum and a more compact instrument that a 14-fretter. I'm happy with the outcome of our discussions and am looking forward to the guitar, although it looks like it's still many months away.

However the more I advance with my own playing and the more I pursue my interest in guitar construction, the more I find myself interested in the classic Martin 00-18 12-fret style of instrument. I see that over recent years Martin have built at least one reproduction of this design - the 00-18VS &/or 00-18 Authentic (not sure if they are the same series). They seem to become available now and then.

I imagine that some of those who have had Ed build them an NL or maybe a repro 00-18 would also have experience with these small Martins. I would be grateful if anyone with such experience could offer their thoughts regarding comparable (or differing) tonal qualities, responsiveness, dynamics, volume, richness of tone, harmonics etc.

Many thanks,
Sam.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:06 PM

As of yet, no one has asked us to build a 12 fret 00...though the NL-00 proves to be a very popular guitar. An excellent design, wish I'd thought of it...

That being said, when the time comes if you want to change models, no problem, and no price difference...
Old 06-05-2016, 02:19 AM

Thanks Ed,

For now I'm very happy with my (our) choice of the NL-00. Your excellent advice has more or less confirmed for me that it will do the job I'm after!

I guess I'm asking about comparisons with Martin's 00/12fret design because I'm curious about the impact of what often seem like subtle design differences, particularly sound hole placement and body depth. I note that the Martin's sound hole is a bit further down the face than on my 00-03 which I assume might reduce the vibrating area. The classic Martin 00 also seems to be shallower than the NL which again must reduce sound box volume.

Anyway - just trying to introduce a bit of science into my G.A.S-related thinking!

Sam.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:51 AM

You want input on tonal differences between a Martin a Halcyon?

Ed will build you a far more responsive and dynamic guitar than Martin for anywhere near the same price. I haven't played any of the Martin Authentics, but my Halcyon was built lighter than any modern Martin I ever laid hands on, and sounded that way (which is only a good thing in my books).
Old 06-05-2016, 09:57 AM

I don't feel the soundhole location on its own is that important, not compared to the X brace intersection location. As in, if the the soundhole and X cross move forward or back together, it's the X cross that's making the difference, not the actual location of the soundhole.

We've actually made quite a few nl-00's with the soundhole moved forward or backwards with the X location remaining static, with no really noticeable or defineable results.

The body depth, otoh, makes a huge difference, and is probably the reason for the extra whomp of the nl-00, even moreso than the shifted braces, though they certainly contribute.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:23 PM

Mmmm - we'll have to talk about all of this down the track I guess Ed. Can't wait!

regards,

Sam.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:01 AM

Congrats on your commission !

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop