The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-03-2015, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)
Default Build Thread: Tahoe Guitars Madi RW/Carpathian OM

I have moved this build thread HERE due to a couple of changes to this build. It is now a 00-14 with a bearclaw Lutz top.

My latest build by Larry Nair of Tahoe Guitars is set to start in the next week or so. It will be a Madagascar Rosewood and Carpathian Spruce OM.

The Carpathian top is very light, very strong and has great tap tone. The goal is a guitar with a large dynamic range. The Madi RW set is nice, but not hugely figured. It does have a very rich butterscotch brown hue and great tap tone. The guitar body will be bound in curly mahogany, the neck in ebony.

I have posted some pics of the woody bits. I will keep this thread updated as pics roll in.

Tahoe Guitars OM

Top: Carpathian Spruce
Back/Sides: Madagascar Rosewood
Binding: Curly Mahogany/Ebony
Neck: Five-piece mahogany/curly maple/walnut
Bridge/Fingerboard/Headplate: Ebony
Bracing: Adirondack Spruce
Frets: EVO Gold
Pearl Inlay: Logo, Rosette, 12th Fret
Nut: 1 3/4"
Saddle: 2 1/4"
Scale: 25.4"
Saddle/Nut/Pins: Bone

Last edited by OddManOut; 01-15-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:14 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

That is a wonderful carpathian top. I have the Martin 000-28EC Madagascar/Carpathian that I really love. Good luck!
Old 01-04-2015, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
That is a wonderful carpathian top. I have the Martin 000-28EC Madagascar/Carpathian that I really love. Good luck!
Thank you...I am hoping for a good outcome.

I tried to capture the wonderful silking in the top. It has it all in terms of physical characteristics. Time will tell what it will yield.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 01-04-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
Thank you...I am hoping for a good outcome.

I tried to capture the wonderful silking in the top. It has it all in terms of physical characteristics. Time will tell what it will yield.
That is a great top, I believe the "ideal" top wood grain pattern is narrow in the center and wider on the edges which this top is a beautiful example of!
Old 01-05-2015, 08:14 AM

Good luck! That tonewood combination intrigues me and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Also, good call on the curly mahogany back strip. It's beautiful and the honey color compliments the pale spruce and red rosewood. It will darken to a more reddish hue in time though; I used it for my homemade guitar and it's all but blended in to that guitar's mahogany back so the contrast is limited to ribbon texture now that under finish is almost iridescent in a way.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
Good luck! That tonewood combination intrigues me and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Also, good call on the curly mahogany back strip. It's beautiful and the honey color compliments the pale spruce and red rosewood. It will darken to a more reddish hue in time though; I used it for my homemade guitar and it's all but blended in to that guitar's mahogany back so the contrast is limited to ribbon texture now that under finish is almost iridescent in a way.

The one downside with the curly mahogany binding is the neck. This is why I've chosen to have the neck bound in ebony. It is possible I could have the neck bound in curly koa without causing too much of an aesthetic ruckus, or I could bind the whole thing in something lighter...curly maple comes to mind. We shall see...I have some time before the binding must be set in stone.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 01-05-2015, 11:00 PM

Binding the fretboard with Ebony is a good call. It will blend with the Ebony fingerboard but also hide the fret ends. I assume there will be some form of purfling between the two? A single strip of maple purfling should compliment things.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop