The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-22-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Low fret crown height (I would say 0.40mm or less) can be harder to barre. Taller fretwire could help.
You mean .040" don't you ? ... 0.40mm equates to less than .020" ...not even Martin with their skimpy frets approach that low of a fret height.

But yes, the frets need to be a workable height in order to facilitate barre chords ...the minimum (finished) fret height for an acoustic guitar IMNSHO is .043" ... and .045" is even better.

Martin fret heights end up at .035" high after going through the PLEK machine ...a total joke ...
Old 02-22-2014, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
You mean .040" don't you ? ... 0.40mm equates to less than .020" ...not even Martin with their skimpy frets approach that low of a fret height.

But yes, the frets need to be a workable height in order to facilitate barre chords ...the minimum (finished) fret height for an acoustic guitar IMNSHO is .043" ... and .045" is even better.

Martin fret heights end up at .035" high after going through the PLEK machine ...a total joke ...
Right, my bad - 0.040 inches, not 0.40 millimeters. Most of my guitars are 0.043" or 0.045" and I prefer the 0.045".

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-22-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post

I play a lot of surf on electric, and had a couple Moserites that had frets that were probably close to .020! They were tiny!!! It takes getting used to, especially barres!
Old 02-26-2014, 01:41 AM
Charter Member

I saw Adrian Legg last week, and he bars with support from his middle finger.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
As in the picture I keep my middle finger further toward the bridge, not directly over the index finger. The little bit of extra
pressure is more than enough for a little rest and a solid barre, and you are less out of position for what may come next.

Here is me and how I do it. Just kidding, it is Julian Bream, but what does he know about technique?

he knows enough to keep his face out of the picture.
but i do recognize that jacket.

looks like he's got some long nails on his fretting hand!
Old 02-26-2014, 07:39 AM

George Harrison used his middle finger to support the index, and the ring to support the pinky, on "A" shape barre chords. I did it that way when I started learning because that's teh way I saw it, but it's not the only way I fret that chord.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
As in the picture I keep my middle finger further toward the bridge, not directly over the index finger. The little bit of extra
pressure is more than enough for a little rest and a solid barre, and you are less out of position for what may come next.

Here is me and how I do it. Just kidding, it is Julian Bream, but what does he know about technique?

It might be me, but it doesn't appear that the index is barring the first couple strings. But it's hard to tell from this angle. Unless you have a link to the video?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write