The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-01-2013, 08:48 AM

One more thing, aside from pitch traing, which was discussed here well, along with finding your vocal range, is to learn to phrase.

Each line in a song is phrased. That means that it has to be worked on, and the best tradeoff between volume, pitch and quality has to be measured. There are many ways to sing a line. Find the way to sing it that works. You need to figure out when you are going to take a breath. Sometimes you can do 2 lines on the same breath, sometimes you need to take a breath for a line.

Craft each song carefully, spending a long time on each phrase, each line. A group of lines gives you a verse and a chorus. Master the delivery of that material. Dont take anything for granted. Concentrate on the quality of each set of notes that make up a phrase.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:01 PM

I've seriosly started to look into this breathing exercise.
I did the lying on my back thing. I understand but when i stand up trying concentrate but it feels like i'm making myself move the stomach so dont know. Just to claridfy my chest is supposed to be still and pushed out?

Also what will be the differences between diaphram breathing and my normal breathing? How did you notice it from the recordings.

I've now went to extent of getting a guitar lesson with a man who knows alot of musicians so i've asked him about vocal lessons and he said he think he may know someone, so hopefully some good news.

I'll keep practicing. All i'm doing atm really is recording myself singing scales but only 5 notes atm is C,D,E,F,G. Usually struggle to do higher notes.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:17 PM

Ignore your chest. We chest breath automatically. Abdominal breathing has to be learned. You should not feel the chest move during breathing in or out, you should focus on the stomach moving in and out. Lie down, put a small book on your stomach and then breath, moving the book up and down. It will have to be learned. You can do it!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Ignore your chest. We chest breath automatically. Abdominal breathing has to be learned. You should not feel the chest move during breathing in or out, you should focus on the stomach moving in and out. Lie down, put a small book on your stomach and then breath, moving the book up and down. It will have to be learned. You can do it!
What he said. Don't concern yourself with chest position when you are lying down, only when you stand up. When standing, raise your arms above your head and note the position of your chest. Lower your arms slowly and keep your chest in the same position. That's the position your chest needs to be in for singing, to allow room for your lungs to expand.
Your vocal range will improve as you learn to support your breathing with your stomach muscles.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 05-02-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaYairi View Post
What he said. Don't concern yourself with chest position when you are lying down, only when you stand up. When standing, raise your arms above your head and note the position of your chest. Lower your arms slowly and keep your chest in the same position. That's the position your chest needs to be in for singing, to allow room for your lungs to expand.
Your vocal range will improve as you learn to support your breathing with your stomach muscles.
Okay. I can keep that position very easily, it's just automatically changing the way i breath and doing it without thinking. It's hard enough trying to think about singing the right note at once but adding more stuff just makes its hard :P

Ill try keep progress going
Old 05-02-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
Okay. I can keep that position very easily, it's just automatically changing the way i breath and doing it without thinking. It's hard enough trying to think about singing the right note at once but adding more stuff just makes its hard :P

Ill try keep progress going
Another trick to use when you are standing up is to stand near a wall and put a hard bound book edge-wise between your stomach and the wall and breath without the book dropping. You will feel the tension in your stomach muscles that way and you will feel them push your body away from the wall when you breath in.

My website:

Old 05-25-2013, 01:38 PM

HEy folks.

Been practicing a little been busy with other things so time is short.

I did another recording and i and a friend believe its improved but dont have things that i would like Power, Tone etc. BEcause when you listen to orginal of Ho hey the 2nd verse has alot of power to it but dont know how to do it.

I've left a recording to see if anyone can see where i can make improvements

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb-scotland/01-audio-track-6

Thanks
Old 05-26-2013, 07:54 PM

It is a bit stronger, and your pitch is steadier. Listen to your recording and see if you can hear when your out of tune. Learn to listen to yourself while singing to keep your voice in tune with the guitar.
And can't you come up with a better song? How about some Beatles?

My website:

Old 05-27-2013, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaYairi View Post
It is a bit stronger, and your pitch is steadier. Listen to your recording and see if you can hear when your out of tune. Learn to listen to yourself while singing to keep your voice in tune with the guitar.
And can't you come up with a better song? How about some Beatles?
Haha, only reason i did that was it didn't seem too difficult.

Was thinking some Eagles, many country songs.

For some reason i cant seem to think of any song that i could try for the beatles.

But should i keep with the same key i sing in like that recording and all other songs i've tried to sing is in the key of c# should i try and go out of that key atm?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write