The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-13-2012, 11:34 PM

Default Sennheiser E835 Mic Review

This mic comes in a package with a great boom stand, XLR cable and a clip, for $129 CDN. It competes with the Shure M58 and out performs it.

The high end is crisp and I kid you not, will make any vocalist sound better. For guitar recording, just hang it on the cabinet for electric, for acoustic, hit the sweet spot in the cardioid pattern and off you go. A pair of these makes an excellent acoustic mic rig.

The frequency response is better than the Shure and I prefer its look, just a muted gray that won't reflect stage lighting. No on off switch, which I like, thats another part to break down.

The stand that is included is lightweight and easy to adjust. The mic clip is a bit fragile but thats no issue. Its also nice not to have to shell out money for a long XLR cable, which they include in the package.

I know musicians who own many of these and use them for drums, heavy metal vocals, male and female solo acts and for acoustic guitar recording in the studio.

So for a budget mic with professional sound, a single purchase that gives you everything you need, go for it. I run it through a preamp and that really gives it its high end shine.

The one word that summarizes this mic is...crystal clear highs, no muddiness. IMHO< blows the Shure out of the water.

HtH someone looking to mic their axe for DAW recording, live performance for vocals and faithful acoustic reproduction.

5/5.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:53 AM

I wholeheartedly agree....I too switched from the SM58 to the E835......don't regret it at all.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Cocobologist

I went to the e835 a few years ago for vocals and haven't looked back. Very 'live' sounding mic. Highly recommend for those guys with richer voices who may need a little presence boost or crisper response in the highs without sounding harsh or strident. Much hotter output than the SM58 also.

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD