The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-09-2012, 03:32 PM

Default Starting out: should I use my computer or a pocketstudio?

I would like to start to record myself playing and maybe start to learn how to mix multiple tracks i.e. separate guitar and vocal tracks. My guitar is a Seagull S6 and does not have an on board pickup and my limit budget wise is £175.00 or $280.00. I use a mac and garageband but as I don't know how to use that properly yet I haven't budgeted for anything more professional software wise.

To cut to the chase I was wondering whether I would be best off getting a good quality USB mic which could handle guitar and vocals and would also be simple to set up. I have the Blue "Snowball" or "Yeti" in mind if I go down this route. I realise I could use my mac's built in mic I have not been particularly impressed with its sound quality.

The other option would be to buy something like a Tascam DP-004 which I understand has built in mics which I could use until I had the money to buy a better mic if necessary. The thing that puts me off this is that a) I think it may have a much steeper learning curve than the mic/garageband option and b) I really don't want to get into gear acquisition syndrome if i can help it partly because I don't know what other gear I would need (pickup?, preamps? etc.)

I play only for my own pleasure and am nowhere near good enough to perform live or put my stuff "out there." At the same time it would be nice to be able to get a good clean recording just to monitor myself improving over time. If I got the Tascam unit I wouldn't have access to the virtual instruments in GarageBand but on the other hand if the Tascam offers greater versatility or quality then maybe that would be the way to go. If any one can offer any advice or alternative routes into helping me get started recording I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Last edited by Tuff Gong; 05-09-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

I have the same questions and eauipments considerations and am interested To see the responses from others. I think much will depend on your recording needs/ purposes and music focus as well.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:58 AM

If you are interested in multi-tracking and you already have some experience with Garage Band, then it makes sense to stay with that. So, based on your budget, a USB mic into your computer using Garageband is probably the best option to get you started.

Garage Band is a very capable DAW and can produce near pro quality tracks. The USB mic option will limit you to one mic, which is okay, but you will eventually want to stereo record which requires two mics. A decent interface will be needed to utilize two mics simultaneously and there are a lot of options to choose from. A decent interface is only the beginning, however. You will need microphones (preferably good quality condenser mics) mic stands, connecting cables, headphones for multi-tracking, and good quality monitor speakers for mixing and mastering tracks. All of this is well outside of your stated budget.

The Tascam learning curve is dependent on the person. Some people find it intuitive and easy to learn while others find it impossibly complex! However, you will still need headphones to hear what you previously recorded when adding additional instruments and tracks, but you can avoid buying mics by starting out using the built in mics.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 05-10-2012, 06:40 AM

The Apogee One would be my first choice given the budget and your aims. Upgrade as soon as you can with a mic like the ADK A6 or Oktava Mk012.

Another option could be a Zoom H4N. However, although it does function as an audio interface, I couldn't tell you what the latency is like. That's important for multi-track recording. As a rule of thumb, I'd want something around 5ms or less.

If one day you find yourself looking for a more powerful DAW, take a look at Ardour.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:21 PM

Thanks guys. It looks as though I may have to splash a bit more cash than I intended to but i think I'll take the mini recorder route and am now looking at the Boss BR-80 which is available here for about £50.00 more than my budget allowed with a pair of headphones thrown in-not the best headphones but I guess I can always upgrade as time goes by. I believe the Boss unit will act as an audio interface. If anyone uses the Boss BR-80 or the Tascam I'd like to know what you think of this idea.

One other possibility is that I shop around for a used Boss Micro BR which can be found for between £60-100.00 and then use the remaining money to pick up accessories but I'd be worried about picking up a dud machine. How reliable are used ones and are they worth buying?Again, any advice is welcome.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:38 PM

I use an old Boss BR864 which I think delivers decent quality recordings and is easy to use, but I don't know about the newer units like the micro and BR-80. I've had mine for about 6 or 7 years and have only had to clean the faders and dials with contact cleaner because of dust contamination and corrosion due to humidity, but it has worked flawlessly in every other respect. So, my unit seems fairly robust and I would not hesitate to buy a used one if I had to replace it for some reason. I don't have any experience with the units you mentioned so I can't vouch for their quality or functionality, but if they are anything like the earlier units I think they should be reliable even if used.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 05-10-2012, 06:58 PM

If the budget has room for improvement, and you're looking for a "good clean" sound, get a second-hand Duet and a decent mic. The sound quality is very good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
blue usb mic, garageband, recording, tascam dp-004