The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-11-2020, 09:21 AM

Default Scything, anyone?

Anyone here use a scythe to cut grass and/or weeds?

Old 07-11-2020, 09:28 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I used to have a very old one that I tired a couple of times, but it was really beyond functional, so it became an art piece that hung above the door on the old shed. With over an acre to cut, I can’t imagine scything. I opted for power...my JD garden tractor.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:04 AM

Used one on my brother in laws farm when I lived with my sister back in the 70's. Didn't use it enough to become real proficient. We tended to use what we called "Core" (sp) knives, a long straight bladed thing (about 16 - 18 inches long) that we used to cut/chop hemp weed and other noxious weeds. Some of the hemp stalks were pretty thick, made you think of small trees.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:30 AM
Charter Member

I can see why some might call the old scythe a "core" instrument, as it will be really good for straightening your core muscles !

I need to clear weeds and such on the paths around my allotments (plots rented from the local council where we grow our fruit & veg).

I use an ancient traditional Japanese tool called a Ryobi 2-stroke strimmer.

Edit, then i watched the British competition and especially enjoyed the first round - a pretty young lady in a little summer dress working hard - suits me, but in the second round - bit concerned about Chris Riley's "snath". - but that's real British summer local fair fun.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 07-12-2020 at 03:47 AM.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:38 AM

Yes, one more of my trail steward associates has a good one like mine but we cannot keep up without the gasoline machines and a crew of people working our trail systems.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post

That hat the announcer's wearing just screams "Somerset".
Old 07-12-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Anyone here use a scythe to cut grass and/or weeds?
I own 2 scythes. One wooden and similar to the one in the first video, and a second that is lightweight aluminum. I bought them many years ago, but never mastered them.

Watching the first video of the man using them rekindled my interest. So I will watch a few more videos, especially those on how to sharpen the blade, because I think that is critical. Clearly his blade is super sharp.

I like the idea of using a scythe, because it's quieter, more peaceful, and more connected to the task.

I also have owned a couple of push mowers, including a rather fancy one, but I'm always disappointed with them. As an aside, in the video when the man was using the gasoline mower, the way it was open at the back, I'll guess where a bag should go, seemed rather dangerous.

Another small issue, besides getting the sharpening down, that I don't know enough about is what size weeds, brambles, roses, raspberries, saplings can be scythed. The field behind my house is a mix of all those things in addition to grasses.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

I would think that if one is not careful, either the person scything or a bystander could lose a foot or two. Then, how would that person get home? Talk about taking somebody down a notch or two...

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-12-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I would think that if one is not careful, either the person scything or a bystander could lose a foot or two. Then, how would that person get home? Talk about taking somebody down a notch or two...

Tony
I believe it is Grim Reaper etiquette that if you accidentally remove someone's foot you offer them a ride home.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:36 PM

Old 07-12-2020, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
I believe it is Grim Reaper etiquette that if you accidentally remove someone's foot you offer them a ride home.
Now, that is right neighborly.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-12-2020, 05:03 PM

Thanks, all.

I certainly understand the preference for gasoline-powered mowing, especially for larger areas. I haven't used a scythe but am thinking of buying one and trying to learn how to use it. Clearly there's a a learning curve both to the actual mowing and, as mc1 pointed out, to sharpening. Obviously it'd be nice to learn in person from someone who knows how to do this stuff, but given the current state of the world I think I'm going to just order a scythe and and see how well I can manage with the online resources available and practice.

Quote:
I own 2 scythes. One wooden and similar to the one in the first video, and a second that is lightweight aluminum.
. . .
Another small issue, besides getting the sharpening down, that I don't know enough about is what size weeds, brambles, roses, raspberries, saplings can be scythed.
I'm curious: did you use the 2 snaths enough to develop a preference for the wood vs. aluminum? Also, and FWIW, from my reading I get the impression there are different blades for things like heavier weeds, woody stems and saplings than for grass. I've seen the terms "ditch blade" and "bush blade" used to refer to shorter, wider, tougher blades used for tougher foliage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I would think that if one is not careful, either the person scything or a bystander could lose a foot or two.
I have been amazed how many youtube videos there are of people scything in bare feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I use an ancient traditional Japanese tool called a Ryobi 2-stroke strimmer.
Ah yes, we are quite familiar with the Ryobi school of toolmaking around here, masters of their craft.

Quote:
I like the idea of using a scythe, because it's quieter, more peaceful, and more connected to the task.
That is what caught my attention about it, too. We'll see how peaceful it feels when I'm trying to learn how to put a good edge on it.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I'm curious: did you use the 2 snaths enough to develop a preference for the wood vs. aluminum? Also, and FWIW, from my reading I get the impression there are different blades for things like heavier weeds, woody stems and saplings than for grass. I've seen the terms "ditch blade" and "bush blade" used to refer to shorter, wider, tougher blades used for tougher foliage.
No, I had the wooden scythe, and it was ok. The wood was curved, which is nice, but the blade seemed to be not the best Chinese metal, and the whole thing was kind of heavy, so when a friend told me the lee valley scythe was much lighter and easier to use, I decided to buy one. I think either one could be used if one knew what they were doing. But I never really figured it out. If I were to recommend one, it'd be the lighter aluminum.

There are lots of good videos about their use and sharpening. Which is really pretty neat.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:30 PM

Certainly, they work well. That's how they used to cut hay (which as a former hay farmer impresses me). Just be sure to wear shoes. Leather ones.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

In 1973 I had a job on the grounds crew at an American recreation facility in Naples Italy..Carney Park....we used Scythes and Sickles to cut fields and weed borders...like any cutting tool maintaining sharp edges is of utmost importance...

...these days I cut my fields with a Kubota L3200 and a rotary cutter...and a BCS tractor with a sickle bar for brush cutting.....much faster...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic