The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-03-2020, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

My best friend finally just this last week fell under the grip of the "Dark Side" and just got his first electric guitar ???????
You guessed it, a Honeyburst with Rosewood Fingerboard,,,Fender American Performer Strat

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-03-2020, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
My best friend finally just this last week fell under the grip of the "Dark Side" and just got his first electric guitar ???????
You guessed it, a Honeyburst with Rosewood Fingerboard,,,Fender American Performer Strat
I suppose that's where I thought I was going with this thread. Not to stir (or re-stir) the Strat vs Tele debate nor how much better other electric guitars are than a Strat. I don't consider myself an electric player per se, but I like to play an electric occasionally. Maybe it's the time that I grew up but the Strat just seems like a very iconic guitar, and it seems that it would be in the arsenal of many electric players and in some cases, like Kev's friend, the first choice for an electric.

I recently purchased a Robert Cray Strat - don't need and don't want tremolo. Simultaneously I sold the Eastman T486 BD. In fact, as the UPS driver was delivering the Fender, I had him pick up the Eastman. The Eastman was a great guitar in most respects but just felt too heavy for me. The Strat, on the other hand, just felt right and sounds amazing to my ear through my Sweetwater Fender Super Champ X2 Tweed. I've owned a number of Strats over years and sold them probably because playing electric has always seemed to be a language that I spoke poorly. However, I finally realized that owning a relatively inexpensive guitar/amp combo and playing an electric is still enjoyable to me. Are there other great electric guitars out there? Of course. Would all of you agree with my choice for a lone electric guitar? Highly unlikely. Am I satisfied with this combo? Definitely...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 06-04-2020 at 04:17 AM.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

That's why I was curious.

I originally felt like my two closest guitars weren't really the same thing but I have recently finding myself getting very strat like tones from the split on the Anderson cobra S in particular. Although it is 24.75 and there is. A very obvious visual resemblance with the body shape and bolt on necks.

I've never been particularly drawn to actual Strats for some reason. I think mostly just the look has put me off. Some of the new super strat models look interesting though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Some of those are important, like the bolt-on 25.5" scale maple neck with a RW or maple fretboard.

Nut....nah.

Some, definitely not all, humbuckers can split well. The JB in my ancient Kramer Pacers and Duncan Hyperion in my Ibanez AZ both split well, which delivers a nice single coil and single bridge+middle.

The 2 knob config might make a theoretical tonal difference, but not something that's likely audible in a band mix.

While it's true that a Floyd might change the tone a little, even Fender is offering modern 2 point options. Much more responsive to subtle vibrato and stays in tune better.

As for the name on the headstock, plenty of people have been using different brands, mismatched parts, parts builds, etc. It was never meant to be a perfect or magic formula. The intent was mass production and reasonable price.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:35 PM

Traded my Strat today. My second one. I just don’t bond with them. I also think part of it is I feel I could just get another one at some point. They are generically good... if that makes any sense. There is a raw aspect to a Telecaster I am drawn to over them.

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 06-04-2020, 12:16 AM

I started playing guitar two decades ago. For about the first two thirds of that period, there were two types of guitar I thought were boring and vanilla and that I’d never own: the Martin D-28 (and anything similar D-35, D-18, OM-28, etc), and the Fender Stratocaster.

Well, I got a Martin D-18 a year and a half ago, I’d love to have a D-28, and I’ve been looking at Stratocasters for months after getting my daughter a mini-sized one a couple years ago and kinda falling in love with it.

I just can’t decide what color I want...
Old 06-04-2020, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
That's why I was curious.

I originally felt like my two closest guitars weren't really the same thing but I have recently finding myself getting very strat like tones from the split on the Anderson cobra S in particular. Although it is 24.75 and there is. A very obvious visual resemblance with the body shape and bolt on necks.

I've never been particularly drawn to actual Strats for some reason. I think mostly just the look has put me off. Some of the new super strat models look interesting though.
The 24.75" scale length and mahogany body probably take away a little from a "true" Fender sound.

I have plans for an Anderson hopefully in the next year or so. I like my Ibanez AZ, but I miss having a Floyd and I like the idea of mid output pickups with the boost switch. I'm also a sucker for Super Strats that utilize the neck+bridge single instead of the middle pickup, which I seldom use.

The Strat body is extremely comfortable. Other than a deeper cutaway if you have bit hands and/or want 24 frets. Leo got it right and that's why it's such a highly copied guitar shape. Very ergonomic, light, and comfortable compared to the Tele and LP shape.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich Novice View Post
Traded my Strat today. My second one. I just don’t bond with them. I also think part of it is I feel I could just get another one at some point. They are generically good... if that makes any sense. There is a raw aspect to a Telecaster I am drawn to over them.
Once again I am very biased and I have owned a couple of Strats over the years.....just not for me....I’ve loved teles since I could hold a guitar....they can deliver any genre and to me are more comfortable to play than a strat....I am a smaller body guitar fan and I just love the feel of a tele when I play....I’ve owned Strats, 335 style axes, LPs, etc and come back to the Tele every time....

Maybe the real question to be asked is “should every electric guitarist own a Telecaster?”......

Electrics
Fender / Fender Amps * TMG

Favorite Gin - Citadelle
Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Favorite Grape - Nebbiolo

Last edited by blews; 06-04-2020 at 05:00 AM.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blews View Post
...The real question to be asked is “should every electric guitarist own a tele?”......
Sounds like a good companion thread...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-13-2020, 02:41 PM

The answer is yes, in my opinion they are the only electric guitar. I wouldnt own any other.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:43 PM

Didn't take the time to read all 4 pages of this thread so might sound redundant. I settled for EBMM Cutlass then picked up a Peavey Predator for an insane low price. Two strat like guitars to make one never go wandering for another.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:38 PM

Should this subject even be discussed? The answer is quite obvious!
'02 American Series Strat – Sky Blue/RW
'05 Epiphone Les Paul – Amber Birdseye Maple w/ SD 59 neck & JB bridge
'04 Yamaha FG403S Dread
'14 Recording King ROS-06 12-fret Slothead
'17 Recording King 000 RO-T16 Torrefied top
Old 06-19-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I think if you have a electric guitar collection you need to include a Strat and a Les Paul. If you don't have an assortment of guitars I think you only need a Strat if you like the scale length and the tone. I have Strats and Les Pauls and much prefer the Les Paul for both the scale length and tone.

So, no, I don't consider a Strat a 'must have guitar'.
Only if they’re gold.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post

I recently purchased a Robert Cray Strat - don't need and don't want tremolo....
An excellent Strat.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchtop View Post
Only if they’re gold.

I have a Gold Top Les Paul Tribute (and an Epiphone Gold Top Bonamassa) but none of my Strats are gold. Not something you see often but yours looks great!
Old 06-20-2020, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchtop View Post
An excellent Strat.

Yep, I bought one about two and a half years ago and due to an accounting mistake at a large retailer (which I alerted them to, but they never fixed), I paid less than $140 for it. I've played and even bought a few much much much more expensive strats since then - I thought the PRS Silver Sky I bought late last year was gonna finally knock it out of the top spot, but the PRS is gone and the Cray remains my overwhelming #1 - I have an Epiphone SG with P90s because I have to have P90s available, but the Cray gets about 90% of my time.

Cray-5 by Ray, on Flickr

Cray-8 by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars