The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-24-2018, 01:23 AM

Default Martin X SERIES

Here We go again . The Martin X Series. As mentioned , I've had almost ever guitar imaginable since 1970. MUCHO KUDOS to Martin to come up with something I can easily afford, Love the sound but have to be very careful with shoulders edges as are not protected . DX1REA Sounds as Good or Better than Original $1600 HD28 purchased in the 80s . Cant say enough , Cant put it down just keeps sounds better and is Very easy to play . Pearse 660Ls & Melloe Guitar moose Classic 80 pick and Wow . No need to go $5000 Nuts for 10 centimeters of more " Tone " Others can chime in with your experiences . EXTREMELY LOWRATED . Construction Immaculate .
Old 05-24-2018, 04:12 AM
Charter Member

Some people hate them but I'm with you. Dollar for dollar, you can't get more tone than in the Martin X guitars.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:51 AM

I recall when they first came out and tried out several models. I was impressed however I am not a big fan of the look of them. I like a glossy guitar and body binding. The rosewood or mahogany mactac they use to cover the HPL doesn't appeal to me either. That being said, one of the nicest 12 strings I have ever played was a Martin X series guitar.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

I own two 000X1AEs and they are great guitars. I pulled out the factory Fishman pickup and battery pack and installed a JJB in both. They are awesome stage guitars and I pick them up at home a lot too.

But my favorite Martin is my DM. It's kinda the predecessor to the X series in construction, but it was made in the US. That thing just sings and has that nice dry old Martin sound. Awesome guitar all the way around and inexpensive too. Keep playing those X series guitars and loving them, there are a lot of us that like them.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-24-2018, 06:32 AM

I was very impressed with the sound when I first played the DX1. Then I looked at the price tag and was astounded. I knew nothing about the build at that time. I was just very impressed.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:07 AM

I've had two, a dread and a 00. I like em but I do wish they had solid wood necks and a 1.75" nut.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

The newer ones are 1 3/4. I sold it when I realized how much more I liked 1 3/4. A friend who has a d-18 bought it. He wanted it as soon I got it. He said that it gave him a lot of what he got from his d-18 but he didn't have to worry about it.

For someone wanting all wood, I have to add the Dread jr spruce to the list. Not as deep and rich but still a lot of Martin tone for the money.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:35 AM

I had Martin X series 12 string for about 15 years. It really put out some nice sound and played pretty easily for a 12 string. I bought a couple of new guitars in the past month and had to sell that one. I needed the room and had to appease the wife. I miss it already.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:44 AM

Side by side, my OM-15M outperforms my 000x1ae, as anyone would expect. That said, I really enjoy the X. The overall feel is pleasant and balanced. The fingerboard is smooth and silky. And after taking a pretty nasty fall the other day, it didn't show a scratch. Not one.

The only thing I don't like about it is the look of the HPL and the stratabond neck. So, I just close my eyes. It's a tank, perfect for camping, and it's got a feel and sound that I enjoy every time I pick it up. Are there cheaper options for campfire guitars? Sure, but I haven't found one that sounds so good. I'd point anyone toward an X whose budget is limited.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:10 PM

No offense intended here -- The X Series guitars are quite nice - and I've owned a couple. . .er. . . three of them. The all HPL models are cool and quite handy in certain circumstances.

However, for sonic, as well as economic reasons, I'd rather have a solid top, laminated non-Martin guitar than a Martin "X1" and, in fact, actually preferred the tone of my old LXM to that of my old LX1.

All that said, I'd certainly snap up another used X or X1 guitar if the right model (OMCX1KE, for instance) came along at the right price.

Last edited by geelinus; 05-24-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:33 PM

A few years back I could finally afford a $500+ guitar, went to a shop and played dozens of guitars and I picked the best sounding one (that was my only criterion) - it was Martin DX1REA. At that time I didn't know that they were not made of real wood, I thought all guitar over $500 are solid wood.
I didn't care about it back then because I was so happy with the sound. Later on an awareness came, what HPL material is really made of, and stupidly it affected my perception of how good that guitar was.

So yes, I totally agree, these guitars beat many solid wood guitars in my opinion.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:42 PM

My DX1R; got it for a song, and it has that Martin bass. ONLY issue for me is the 1 11/16 nut--everything else I own is 1 3/4. I don't' mind the laminate layer neck, and the 'formica' body and sides are sure easy to take care of!

Goat Whisky Mick- interestingly, mine is a DX1R but the label says made in Nazareth, AND it has a rosewood fretboard and bridge.

I take it camping too.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:01 PM

I have the 000X1AE. I love this guitar. I also have a Taylor Dread that cost much more than my 000x1AE but I find myself reaching for my Martin and hardly ever get my Taylor out of the case anymore. As far as looks.... I really like the look of the HPL rosewood back and sides. I so like the stratabond neck. At first the stratabond neck was not real appealing but when I played it I fell in love with the neck and how it feels. On my model the simulated rosewood HPL back and sides blend well with the color and striping in the stratabond neck and headstock. All i can say is i like the look of it .not sure if it grew on me but I really like the look of the guitar. I had a higher end Martin years ago and I love the sound of this X series better than I the high end Mrtin before. I also fee i'll more peaceful knowing that it should be more durable and less prone to changes in humidity because of the JPL and stratabond neck
Old 05-24-2018, 07:09 PM

I just purchased a used DX-1. This one was heavily played and was definitely someone's beater. I was astonished at the sound. Very dry and complex, like an aged wine. I went back to the store today and tried a few high end Martin's like the D-28 and some Gibson's too. These guitars we're all in the 2-4k range. The guy even let me try the new Taylor X-brace. The $350 beat-up DX1 def holds it's own ($250 if you include the rebate for opening a Sam Ash CC card). In some ways it's better than those new expensive ones, but that can only be earned with age and a lot of play time. IMHE Something about those materials just work if the guitar was built well, but negatives are I'm afraid how it will hold up (since mines already beat-up), and the strabond neck doesn't feel as smooth as a wood neck to me. I may try polishing it with some miro-mesh pads.

Last edited by Rick1114; 05-24-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:58 PM

I picked up a DCX1E off CL while visiting my folks in Florida a couple winters back. Guy bought it new, played it a couple times and decided guitar wasn't for him so he stuck it under his bed. Gave $325.00 for it with HSC. Didn't sound great when I got it, but that was because he had replaced a broken D string with one for an electric guitar! A new set of Martin medium acoustic strings helped a lot, as well as the bone saddle I put in it. Honestly, not a whole lot of sonic difference between it and my HD28. Just a great workhorse guitar!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion