The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-20-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
That was the complaint on an old version. Much better buttons on the current one.
Thanks Rev !! have the polyclip and always wanted one of these, can't beat the price !! How's that 41 treating you ??? I ordered a custom GP 41 style so the wait begins.
thanks again !
Mrbirdog
Old 05-20-2018, 04:23 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbirdog View Post
Thanks Rev !! have the polyclip and always wanted one of these, can't beat the price !! How's that 41 treating you ??? I ordered a custom GP 41 style so the wait begins.
thanks again !
Mrbirdog
The 41 is fantastic! Nicely played in now and after experimenting with various string I’ve found it loves Santa Cruz Mid Tension. And I couldn’t ask for a better partner for the J-45. Looking forward to the arrival of yours...and the NGD thread (w/pic of course).

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 05-20-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Well sorry I took so long to respond - I was out all day, only just got back and saw your question. I'll answer it anyway.

The TC PolyTune Clip has only one tuning-type - equal temperament - if that suits you, it's absolutely fine, a great tuner. It's accurate, it's quick to respond to the note, the display is big, bright and clear. It works in either Polyphonic, Strobe, or Chromatic mode - user's choice. I find the Polyphonic mode pretty useless, but the Strobe and Chromatic modes are fine. Can be affected by other instruments playing close by.

The Peterson StroboClip HD has numerous 'sweetened' tunings which are great for different tunings and instruments. As well as GTR (equal temperament), the ACU sweetener is very good for capoed instruments - this is the 'James Taylor Tuning'. The tuner has only Strobe mode, if you don't get on with Strobe tuners, it's not for you. The display is big, bright **enough** (though not as distinct as the TC), and far more stable than the previous version. Prone to being affected by other instruments playing close by - more so than the TC, IME.

So...two excellent tuners, very accurate, but having some functions which are different. You can buy either with confidence that you've got a very good piece of kit, but as to which is 'best'...very subjective, and it's up to you to decide which features matter the most to you.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.
Thanks. Yes, I have a Polytune, so I'm familiar with that. I'm think I'm just going to use that.

Thanks again.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 05-20-2018, 08:56 PM

I ordered one. I love the app on my phone, but it is hard to tune with, in a GC room, for instance. I have a TC Polytune, which is my go to tuner. I just wanted to try some of the "sweetened tunings" and I don't play in loud situations, unless it is a recital with my instructors and a small band. Then I can bring the PolyTune.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 05-20-2018, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Thanks. Yes, I have a Polytune, so I'm familiar with that. I'm think I'm just going to use that.

Thanks again.
And there ya go! It's a great tuner - I tend to use my TC PolyTune Clip-on in noisy, but unamplified, situations because extraneous sounds seem to 'affect' it less than my StroboClip HD. For quieter unamplified situations, I use the StroboClip HD. Both get great results in their relative ways.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 05-20-2018, 09:08 PM

Thumbs up

Well all this unbridled enthusiasm convinced me. And I can't resist a good deal. Maybe it'll make me a better player. I'm sure it'll make me a better *sounding* player! Thanks for tip!
Old 05-20-2018, 09:17 PM

If playing live I would recommend the Turbo Tuner by Sonic Research, assuming you are plugged in. Best tuner I have ever owned.

For clip on around the house, the Peterson HD is excellent and way more accurate than the other clip on tuners I have tried.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:44 PM

Mine arrived today. My first thought is that it's HUGE. Not something I'd leave on the guitar like my NS Micro, but it works very well.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:20 PM

Default clip on this !!!

Yes mine arrived with the mail yesterday as well !!! I never owned a strobe tuner before so I have a lot of learning to do, but I must say it does get a very precise tuning on both of my acoustics. I own a 20-year-old Ibanez Art Wood CE 100 that has always sounded great, hog back and sides with the torrified spruce top. The Peterson really enabled me to get as tight a tune as far as the sympathetic harmonics go, it really sounds great !!! And the Yamaha LL16-12 is time-consuming to get it perfect, I might need to have the saddle tweaked to proper intonation as it is difficult on the bass E string harmonic, and the G string, but when it's in, wow very sweet !!! I'm sure a lot of it is just going to be me getting used to it. I want to use the strobe first, then compare it to my unitune TC
clip on to see how they match up !!!

Last edited by Graham H; 05-24-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
Yes mine arrived with the mail yesterday as well !!! I never owned a strobe tuner before so I have a lot of learning to do, but I must say it does get a very precise tuning on both of my acoustics. I own a 20-year-old Ibanez Art Wood CE 100 that has always sounded great, hog back and sides with the torrified spruce top. The Peterson really enabled me to get as tight a tune as far as the sympathetic harmonics go, it really sounds great !!! And the Yamaha LL16-12 is time-consuming to get it perfect, I might need to have the saddle tweaked to proper intonation as it is difficult on the bass E string harmonic, and the G string, but when it's in, wow very sweet !!! I'm sure a lot of it is just going to be me getting used to it. I want to use the strobe first, then compare it to my unitune EC Harmonic clip on to see how they match up !!!
I'm just curious. Your 20 year old Ibanez had a torrified top? I thought that's a new technology that is maybe no older than 10 years. I could be wrong though.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 05-24-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I'm just curious. Your 20 year old Ibanez had a torrified top? I thought that's a new technology that is maybe no older than 10 years. I could be wrong though.
I was thinking the same exact thing when I read that! Didnt' know Ibanez was at the forefront of that tech.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion