The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-22-2015, 10:46 AM

Default Problems with the Ditto 2X looper

I've run into a problem with the Ditto 2X looper and I was wondering if it's something that others have also run into.

When I start to record the first loop after letting the pedal sit unused for a short period of time, it will pop and the volume going to the PA will change. IF I erase the loop and then start over, it works as it should.

The loop level is at 12 o'clock and the effects are off.

My signal chain is K&K -> looper -> PADI -> Yamaha DBR12 powered speaker.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 01-22-2015, 12:07 PM

Sometimes happens with true-bypass switch pedals. Try putting any pedal with a buffer in front of it for a test. In other words, from guitar to say a reverb or even a pedal tuner with a buffer, (not true bypass) then to the Ditto. If it no longer pops, then the voltage is being bled off and the true bypass switch may need a 1 meg resistor attached to it to bleed off the voltage build up.

OR

Just be aware of it and when you get it out after being in storage for awhile, power it up and hit the switch a few times before turning on your PA.
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 01-22-2015, 12:46 PM

I have not had that experience but I always use my DITTO after the preamp or in the insert loop. I wonder if that would help.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:38 PM

I haven't had it happen, but only had mine since Christmas. Are you using a power supply or battery power? I have mine set around 1 o'clock to get the same volume coming out as going in.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-22-2015, 08:02 PM

I haven't heard of that before so I don't really have an answer. However, I do know that TC Electronics has a reputation for faulty foot switches that contribute to issues like this. If you go over to thegearpage, you will see threads on the quality issues of the Ditto Looper. I owned the original and now have the Ditto x2. The original foot switch stopped functioning properly and gave me a number of issues. That definitely could be the problem with your pedal.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:13 AM

In response to the last post: did you receive a replacement from TC or just go out and buy another? Mine is acting up and failing me (making horrible sound rather than the recorded loop, late to go into play mode, in effect blowing the loop) and their response to fix it was 'get an isolated power supply' which I already have and it worked fine for 2 years and works fine on other pedals: It's not daisy chained.
Gurian JB-3 (Brazilian,Sitka)

Last edited by sixstrings; 02-02-2015 at 07:39 PM. Reason: bad language
Old 02-02-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstrings View Post
In response to the last post: did you receive a replacement from TC or just go out and buy another? Mine is acting up and failing me (making horrible sound rather than the recorded loop, late to go into play mode, in effect blowing the loop) and their response to fix it was lame: they said: 'get an isolated power supply' which I already have and it worked fine for 2 years and works fine on other pedals: It's not daisy chained.
I actually just took a hit on it and did not return it. However, I have heard that TC does not fix pedals, they simply ask for the pedal to be exchanged. That's the problem with their pedals; they are not easy to fix.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
I've run into a problem with the Ditto 2X looper and I was wondering if it's something that others have also run into.

When I start to record the first loop after letting the pedal sit unused for a short period of time, it will pop and the volume going to the PA will change. IF I erase the loop and then start over, it works as it should.

The loop level is at 12 o'clock and the effects are off.

My signal chain is K&K -> looper -> PADI -> Yamaha DBR12 powered speaker.
I have the exact same problem as the above post! Also, my signal chain is similar - K&K guitar(s) -> looper -> Red Eye pre-amp -> SA220. That first foot click is brutal. I do not have the problem with reduced volume after the fact though, so that might be due to the difference of the SA220 vs. the DBR12.

I cannot put the Ditto after the pre-amp as I use the XLR out of the Red Eye. I can't put the Ditton into the effects loop of the Red Eye because I use the out (send) from that to send guitar signal to the TC Helicon GTX Harmonizer.

I'm learning to remember to click a couple times (once seems to do the trick) before bring up the amp volume but I worry about playing open mics with it and forgetting and blasting that loud 'SNAP' to the crowd!

I'm open to other suggestions. If anyone knows of a mod like putting in the 1 megohm resistor, that would be great. I'm good with a soldering iron. Maybe I'll hit up TC about it and see what they say. If several of us have encountered the issue, they surely must know about it.

Edit: I just left a message with TC support to see if they are aware or have a solution. I also gave them a link to this thread so they can see it's happened to others. I'll post if I get an answer.

Last edited by Methos1979; 02-18-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I have the exact same problem as the above post! Also, my signal chain is similar - K&K guitar(s) -> looper -> Red Eye pre-amp -> SA220. That first foot click is brutal. I do not have the problem with reduced volume after the fact though, so that might be due to the difference of the SA220 vs. the DBR12.

I cannot put the Ditto after the pre-amp as I use the XLR out of the Red Eye. I can't put the Ditton into the effects loop of the Red Eye because I use the out (send) from that to send guitar signal to the TC Helicon GTX Harmonizer.

I'm learning to remember to click a couple times (once seems to do the trick) before bring up the amp volume but I worry about playing open mics with it and forgetting and blasting that loud 'SNAP' to the crowd!

I'm open to other suggestions. If anyone knows of a mod like putting in the 1 megohm resistor, that would be great. I'm good with a soldering iron. Maybe I'll hit up TC about it and see what they say. If several of us have encountered the issue, they surely must know about it.

Edit: I just left a message with TC support to see if they are aware or have a solution. I also gave them a link to this thread so they can see it's happened to others. I'll post if I get an answer.
The popping issue went away for me, I don't know the specifics of how it went away, it just did. As I was developing my pedal board I'd rearrange the pedals, I took off the passive volume pedal and add a poly tune pedal, I put the PADI after the Ditto, it use to be before. I don't know if any of that had any thing to do with the problem going away.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

Old 02-19-2016, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
The popping issue went away for me, I don't know the specifics of how it went away, it just did. As I was developing my pedal board I'd rearrange the pedals, I took off the passive volume pedal and add a poly tune pedal, I put the PADI after the Ditto, it use to be before. I don't know if any of that had any thing to do with the problem going away.
I'm quite sure moving pedals around solved your issue based on a few comments from above. Unfortunately for me, I really don't want to have/add anything more than the two I have!

I'll update the thread on my experience so the next guy searching gets answers as well. I'm glad you've got it worked out on your end.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:26 PM

You might want to try updating the software if you haven't already. My loop playback sound would be degraded. I hooked it up to my computer and updated the pedal software and it fixed it.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

I managed to fix my issue by just running the Ditto X2 through the effects loop of the Red-Eye and use the second out as the source for the TC GTX Harmony.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I managed to fix my issue by just running the Ditto X2 through the effects loop of the Red-Eye and use the second out as the source for the TC GTX Harmony.
Glad you found a solution, loopers are a great tool and having one with problems is frustrating.

A second problem I've had that is recurring is that the pedal will lock up and not clear out the loop. It seems to happen during practice when I'm looping and clearing loops rather quickly. The cure is to hold the left side toggle switch in the up position until the unit clears. It takes a few seconds of holding the switch.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

Old 02-27-2016, 08:05 AM

I had the original Ditto and when it began messing up, TC said they wouldn't replace it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't so I can't use it onstage. Why buy another product from them? They've lost my future business, as if they really care. I went back to Digitech Jamman's: steady eddy's
Gurian JB-3 (Brazilian,Sitka)
Old 02-27-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstrings View Post
I had the original Ditto and when it began messing up, TC said they wouldn't replace it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't so I can't use it onstage. Why buy another product from them? They've lost my future business, as if they really care. I went back to Digitech Jamman's: steady eddy's
My Ditto 2x has battery power, my Jamman doesn't. My Zoom A3 has battery power. Taking the Zoom and the Ditto to an open mic makes for a quick stage setup and take down and allows me to play a song set I wouldn't be able to play without them.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification