The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-05-2009, 08:43 PM

Default K&K Pure Western Mini in Taylor 114ce

I have a Taylor 114ce, which has a UST in it. I listened to some clips of other pickups and based on those clips concluded that I would probably prefer the K&K Pure Western Mini sound over the UST. Here's my question--if I were to try to install this pickup in my guitar, how would you recommend I do it? I don't think there's anyone around who can do it for me. Because of the huge jack cutout on the end, I figure that I need to use the existing endpiece. I haven't taken it apart yet, but it seems like the simplest scenario would just be to disconnect the endpin from the K&K and connect it to the endpin on the Taylor.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan? I'm pretty good with a soldering iron and with electronics in general, is there something else I should try? I'd love to be able to use the existing preamp, but I'm guessing that just connecting the K&K to the current electronics would yield a far-less than ideal result. I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 02-06-2009, 12:30 PM

You may run into impedance issues and the K&K would probably overdrive your existing preamp. Would be best to just leave the endpin jack that came with the K&K and run direct or through aan offboard preamp that has an adjustable gain.

Takamine EAN15C w/ Palathetic pickup system and CT4B onboard preamp
Takamine GN93CE w/ TK-40 preamp
RainSong DR1000 w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Rainsong JM3000 12 string jumbo w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Yamaha FG345 w/ Fishman Matrix II

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 02-06-2009, 10:04 PM

I guess I pretty much figured that would be the case--but you don't see any problems with wiring into the existing jack and bypassing the preamp do you?
Old 02-06-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrick View Post
I have a Taylor 114ce, which has a UST in it. I listened to some clips of other pickups and based on those clips concluded that I would probably prefer the K&K Pure Western Mini sound over the UST. Here's my question--if I were to try to install this pickup in my guitar, how would you recommend I do it? I don't think there's anyone around who can do it for me. Because of the huge jack cutout on the end, I figure that I need to use the existing endpiece. I haven't taken it apart yet, but it seems like the simplest scenario would just be to disconnect the endpin from the K&K and connect it to the endpin on the Taylor.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan? I'm pretty good with a soldering iron and with electronics in general, is there something else I should try? I'd love to be able to use the existing preamp, but I'm guessing that just connecting the K&K to the current electronics would yield a far-less than ideal result. I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks in advance for your help!
Not sure what you mean by "huge jack output on the end". K&K uses a standard 1/4" jack, the same as most UST pickups. Should be a simple replacement using the same size hole. The K&K jack should fit right in.

David
David's CDs
Old 02-07-2009, 06:20 PM

The jack on then end of the Taylor acoustic electrics also contains a 9v battery, so there is one big plastic piece that contains both the jack and the battery compartment. That's what I meant by the huge hole--otherwise I'd definitely just swap them out.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:44 PM

Does anyone know if I could use the Pure Western Mini with the B-Band A11 preamp? The A11 would allow me to have an internal preamp and still use the knobs that are already on my Taylor, which would be nice. The page for the B-Band A11 says that it can be used with USTs or ASTs, although I assume that is only designed to work with their own pickups. Any ideas of whether this would work or not? Thanks!
Old 02-09-2009, 03:38 PM

Hi Drrick,
In my understanding BBand preamps are only compatible with BBand pickups.
When i removed the expression system from my taylors and replaced with other pickups i left the battery compartment there and just drilled out the taylor jack and installed the new endpin jack there.
What situation will you be using this pickup in?
Best Regards
Jask
Taylor 110 w/ Dtar Wavelength & JJB 330
Blueridge BR-361
S.Yairi 1978 Rosewood/ Spruce Classical

1 Tiny Baby All Solid KOA Tennor UKE w/ Shadow UST
Old 02-09-2009, 04:36 PM

I will probably only be using it plugged in for leading worship at my church. Right now I wear a headset mic and most of the time play by myself--the headset mic actually picks up enough guitar that I don't even need to use the current pickup. My fear is that as we add more instruments (which we are slowly doing), that I will have to begin plugging in my guitar (and I may have to switch to a stand-mounted vocal mic). I just really don't care much for the sound of the UST, and would love to get something close to the sound of the unamplified sound (which is of course what the mic is picking up). Based on the sound clips that I have heard, the K&K seems like it's the closest to that ideal. The only reason I was really interested in the B-Band Preamp was that it can be used with the existing holes I have in my Taylor. But, it's not a big deal to still have knobs that don't really do anything on my guitar--no one will know (or care) but me.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:50 PM

I just put a K&K trinity system in my LKSM which i use for quieter solo acoustic stuff, which pairs the PWM with the silver bullet internal mic. On Sat i also put a Baggs M1 in the guitar and used all 3 sources together and its the best "acoustic" sound I have ever achieved.I had one guy come up and say to me "It sounds like you're sitting at the table across from me just playing an acoustic guitar"
You could maybe install a system like the trinity and then as you add more instruments to the mix or you are concerned with feedback you could add a magnetic without any further modification, and blend them all together.
With that said though, there are many great threads and many people who are authorities on this forum regarding the matter of Monitor and speaker placement in regards to feedback.
There is a thread going like this at the moment
Best Reggards
Jask
Taylor 110 w/ Dtar Wavelength & JJB 330
Blueridge BR-361
S.Yairi 1978 Rosewood/ Spruce Classical

1 Tiny Baby All Solid KOA Tennor UKE w/ Shadow UST

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification