The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-05-2009, 02:50 PM

Default Help!

I just got a T5S and I am as green as one can get with looking at amps and everything. I have no clue what most of the terms mean when looking into the specs of a particular amp. I play in a church and need an amp that will work for both a decent acoustic sound as well as electric sounds when using a pod Xt or X3 live. As well as a good DI. Any help and advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-05-2009, 02:58 PM

Welcome to the AGF, Troy! Glad to have you with us. I'm moving your question over to our Electrified section because that's where I think you'll get a lot more help with your questions about amps.

cotten
Old 02-05-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy205 View Post
I just got a T5S and I am as green as one can get with looking at amps and everything. I have no clue what most of the terms mean when looking into the specs of a particular amp. I play in a church and need an amp that will work for both a decent acoustic sound as well as electric sounds when using a pod Xt or X3 live. As well as a good DI. Any help and advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks
There, maybe that will help. Congratulations on that T5S. Nice guitar!

One issue that you'll bump into is that the purpose of an acoustic amp is to make an acoustic guitar sound like an acoustic guitar, just louder. You don't want it to "color" the sound, unless maybe you're adding effects. My Ultrasound AG50DS4 has some nice built-in effects that can add to the interest of the tone if not overused. It's a 50 watt, two-channel amp that is relatively small, lightweight, and has a direct output for when I use it as a monitor but want to run it to the PA system. There are a good number of fine choices in acoustic amps, depending on your price range.

Ah, but the purpose of an electric amp is different. It's supposed to make the sound of a guitar differenet, not just louder. I'll let someone else explain more about that.

Can you use a good, clean acoustic guitar (or a keyboard amp) with a pod to get decent electric sounds? Yes, probably, but probably not the "best" electric sounds. Again, a lot depends on the funds available. And sometimes it also depends on how much gear you want to cart around.

I'm sure you'll get some far more knowledgeable answers, but maybe this will get you started. Don't be shy about asking quesitons or discussing. You're one of US now!

cotten
Old 02-07-2009, 09:48 PM

Thanks for the welcome. This forum has been beyond helpful and informative. Thank you for taking the time to respond and for the advice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification