The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-29-2009, 11:25 AM

Default Anyone put a midi pickup in thier acoustic?

Thinking about doing it and looking for ideas.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:22 PM

Yep - I have a Gretsch Jumbo Westerner that I had the Roland synth pickup kit permanent install done. Works great. Not a very expensive guitar, my "work" guitar, so I didn't mind drilling the holes, etc.

Did it on a Taylor also, regretted that a little bit...
Old 01-29-2009, 12:50 PM

I attached a GK-3 roland pickup to my Babicz Tribeca. Used the tape to attach it. Works great.

Jack
Old 01-29-2009, 01:20 PM

Yep, I got an RMC Pickup in my Ayas. Check
http://www.rmcpickup.com/
Works wonderful. Also a great normal guitars sound!

Roland Kalus

https://rolandkalus.bandcamp.com/alb...le-autumn-blue
Mcilroy A30
Stevens 000-P
Yairi OM
Martin Duwe OM 12fret Cut
Stevens OM-P
Martin Duwe Crossover

AER Amps and PA-Systems
Old 01-29-2009, 08:54 PM

I use a Roland GK2 and GK3 on two of my T5s. I just used the tape and it was a perfect fit. The tracking is amazing. Easy install since there were no mods involved. The mounting fit on the end pin and sits nicely on the guitar.
Fun stuff.
davidc
Old 01-30-2009, 12:42 AM

I am using a GK-3 mounted on a Martin OM-28 to drive a Roalnd GR-33 synth. Works fine but I found that using PB strings that I could not get enough signal into the pickup from all strings as the radius of the pickup and the radius of the saddle are different so the low E and A strings in particular were a bit too far from the pickup. I have put DR Zebra strings on the guitar and that has solved the problem and tracking is now much better, but that has been at the cost of less impressive acoustic sound. It's a trade-off I can live with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepnback View Post
Yep, I got an RMC Pickup in my Ayas. Check
http://www.rmcpickup.com/
Works wonderful. Also a great normal guitars sound!
I have been thinking of putting an RMC into the Martin but have been reluctant due to the bridge modifications required. I am told that it tracks better than any other midi pickup but I have little experience playing one.

My other concern is how those RMC saddles affect unplugged acoustic tone and how the amplified sound of the RMC sounds for normal steel string amplification.

Aaron
Old 02-02-2009, 09:16 AM

Thanks! I am finding that this is a difficult subject to find info on. Thinking about picking up a GR-20 w/GK-3 pickup.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:57 AM

Default Roland Stuff

I have a GR3 pickup I have used on several guitars. All electric, to date (Strats). It's running a GR-33. I had a midi pickup in an ES335, but sold that guitar (shame on me), and subsequently started using the GR3.

I've been thinking about one of two directions: 1) An acoustic pickup install in a mid-bodied guitar (Larrivee L-70) or, 2) Selling the GR33 synth and the GR3 pickup and paying more attention to practicing "off the juice".

Shouldn't be this way, but for me, those two options are mutually exclusive!

I'd appreciate it if anybody might want to prod me in either direction.

CarterPoulsen Model G
SC 000
Martin D18-DC
Old 02-02-2009, 01:17 PM

The GK-3 Divided Pickup

I cannot find anything that says that it is ok for acoustic guitar.

From Roland
http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...x?ObjectId=651

GK-3: Divided Pickup
Features
The GK-3 Divided Pickup attaches to any steel-stringed electric — no drilling necessary — and delivers accurate performance data to guitar synthesizers such as Roland’s popular GR-20. The GK-3’s slim-line design enables ideal placement on the guitar.

Mounts easily on any steel-stringed electric without damage to guitar
Features an adjustable curve design and pickup cable length
Includes attachment plate for Les Paul-type guitars

So I am apprehensive. I am glad to hear that others have used it.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:46 PM

Default I just Installed One....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakespenart View Post
The GK-3 Divided Pickup

I cannot find anything that says that it is ok for acoustic guitar.
Okay. You guys inspired me. I pulled the Epi Masterbuilt campfire guitar off of the wall and installed the GR3. Not a big deal to install, of course.

But you have to be willing to use some Velcro on your axe. And take some time to get the GR's pickups placed "just so". I like the Epiphone well enough for it's tasks. I paid $275 and it was second hand in perfect shape. So I wasn't too upset when I found the best placement of the pickup was slanted (as opposed to parallel to the bridge) across the rear of the sound hole with the treble portion further toward the bridge, and the bass portion of the pickup. In fact, it's about a "slash" (angle from parallel) of 2.25 inches.

Then, with the height so temperamental, I didn't want to simply use Velcro to "stick on" the p-up as I did with the control and input portion. I was going to glue it. Then I thought, "...that's *sure* to screw up the finish".

So, being the minimalist I am, and not too much risk in the $$$ department on this axe, I drilled two tiny, tiny pilot holes, found the smallest wood screws I could find, and nailed the puppy down. I figured, a couple of small holes (one's in the pick guard) are better than a big glob of glue.
I was incredibly careful in that thin spruce.

It works very well. I've been playing patches of strings and some sax to an "A" run for about an hour. BTW, the Epi has no other electrics installed, so I have to forgo the ability to "mix" (between synth and guitar) from the control. I simply pulled the 1/4" input and am running (for now) with only the MIDI.

Long story short...Take your time in the placement of the pickup, and it will work as well as it did on my Strat on your acoustic.

Wish I knew how to post a picture directly to the Forum.

CarterPoulsen Model G
SC 000
Martin D18-DC
Old 02-06-2009, 09:42 AM

Great to hear! Thanks for the time and effort. That why I love the internets.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:04 AM

Here are three pics of my installation. I did not use velcro for the control mount, rather I inserted a second strap button so I could use the standard GK3 mounting bracket. The 2nd button may look stupid, but it provides a very solid mount.

I added a soundclip at the following thread:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=146064

Jack

Last edited by jackstrat; 02-06-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:50 PM

Thanks again!
Old 02-08-2009, 09:46 AM

I put one on one of my Yamaha Silent Guitars.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-09-2009, 12:11 PM

I know it's not a true "acoustic" but I installed and internal GK-3 on my T-5 and it's given me a great range of tonal possibilities. I've just recently started using a Roland VG-99. Previously I had used typical guitar/midi/synth setups and I must say that I'm really impressed with the Roland VG system. You don't get the range of sounds that you can get from a synth but there's no tracking or ghost/drop out note issues.

I also have a Breedlove nylon acoustic which has an RMC pickup for both audio and 13-pin "midi" output. They also make a steel string version.

You can see photos in the link to "Photos of my Guitars" below

Photos of my Guitars

Taylor K14CE-L7
Taylor 854CE-L7
Taylor T5-C2 Koa
Collings OM2HG
Fender Deluxe Strat
Breedlove AN250CR SYN
Gretsch 6120 JR2
Breedlove AN250/CR SYN
Warwick Thumb Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification