The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-24-2018, 06:54 AM
Guest 2434

I have owned the folk sized version of this alvarez designation. very nice player, good sound and good to go out of the box. I did put a lighter set of strings on.
as such I would probably not recommend an immediate setup. give it a few months. you and the guitar will have developed a few idiosyncrasies (read buzzing) by then and either the guitar or you playing will need an adjustment.
good luck on your journey.
btw it discounted when I looked it up on GC today.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmitz54 View Post
Next Tuesday I pick up my first guitar. I am a complete beginner and start lessons in June. The guitar is an Alvarez AG610CESHB. I’ve also purchased an Alvarez tweed hard case that I’ll be picking up. This is at Guitar Center.
My question is: What is the best way to do this? Do I inspect the guitar at the store? Tune it, have someone play it? What do I look for when inspecting the guitar? Are there substantial differences between one AG610CESHB and possibly another one of the same model? This is a $400 instrument, how selective should I be?
Any insights into what I should be aware of is appreciated.
Double check the pricing, it's currently shown "on sale" at GS for less than $300. Ask the store to adjust the price if you paid more.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

I’m going to assume that bringing an experienced player with you isn’t an available option. It’s good to get a sense of how the guitar sounds from a listener’s perspective, but understand that it will sound different from the player’s perspective.

Someone recommended getting a humidifier. Whether you need that right now will depend on where you live. If you live in a area that is humid in the summer, you won’t need to start humidifying until the fall. And since the back and sides on your guitar aren’t solid, your guitar is going to be less affected by a lack of humidity than guitars with solid back and sides.

Whether you need to wipe off the strings every time you play depends a lot on your body chemistry. The sweat of some folks will react more harshly with strings than the sweat of others. I wouldn’t worry about it too much in the beginning because I’d encourage you to try different sets of strings to find what feels and sounds best to you.

Some have recommended buying a clip-on-tuner and I’d concur with those recommendations. I know many hear like the various Snark offerings but I’d encourage you to spend a little more and get a more accurate tuner. TC Electronics makes a tuner that is great value for the money. I believe it’s only available through Sweetwater. Here’s a link.

Picks are a very personal thing so I’d encourage you to buy an assortment of sizes, shapes, and thicknesses. Don’t be in a rush to decide on your favorite pick. Take your time and take notice of what you like or dislike about any particular pick. You’ll eventually figure out what works best for you and find a pick with all those characteristics.

While you’re in the store, you’ll want to give the guitar a good tactile and visual inspection. Run your hands over it everywhere to feel for any major imperfections. At $400, I don’t expect the finish to be perfect but I’d expect it not to have any major flaws or obvious scratches. Pay close attention to the top and look for signs of cracks. Another place to look at closely for cracks is the bottom of the guitar around the area of the strap button. If there are scratches, I’d expect a discount off the sale price. If there are cracks, I’d either want a major discount along with a repair, or I’d want them to re-order the guitar. In your case, not having enough experience to know who much of a problem any particular crack might cause, I recommend you only opt for a re-order.

At this point in your guitar adventure, you’re not going to be able to judge what nut width nor what neck contour is right for you so don’t get too caught up with those things. Neither would I worry too much about how comfortable it feels initially. For the new player, any guitar is going to feel a bit odd. The one you’ve purchased is a grand auditorium. Unless you’re pretty tiny, that shouldn’t be too big for you.

The guitar may or may not need a set up. As has been stated, Alvarez is pretty good at shipping their guitars set up fairly well, so it’s unlikely. As a beginner, you may not be able to easily make that determination in the store but that’s okay. Once you get it home you can make some measurements and ask opinions here. Even if you can’t play yet, play notes up and down the fretboard on every string and listen for buzzing. Your finger for each note should just behind the fret, not in the middle of the space between frets, and each note should ring clearly. If a note is buzzy, there’s a problem and the store should make some adjustment to correct it. If a full set-up is needed at some point, I’d recommend finding a good local luthier rather than having the work done at GC. With GC it’s hit or miss as to whether the set-up tech who works on your guitar knows his craft well, and a poorly set-up guitar will discourage you from playing.

I was going to post that the guitar is now on sale but I see someone beat me to it. They should make an adjustment and give you sale price.

All in all, I think you made a very nice choice for a first guitar. Alvarez puts out a nice product. Good luck with your lessons.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-24-2018, 09:01 AM

My best advice that I tell ALL beginners ..........

PLAY THROUGH THE PAIN!!!!

I have known many beginners, most self-taught, that play until their fingers get sore, and stop to let them 'heal'.

Guitars are one of the few instruments that require a 'painful period' while callouses develop on the fingers!
Old 05-24-2018, 11:26 AM

My first guitar was a used Alvarez

I think we are overcomplicating things here. This is a budget guitar that OP is going to use to learn to play, he isn't asking how to preserve a pre-war Martin.

You have picked a fine beginner acoustic and you have a case for it as well, great.

You could buy a tuner (a $10 clip-on tuner is fine), or you could use a free tuner app on your smartphone. the Fender and Martin apps have these, as well as many others. The clip on will work a little better, but you'll be fine either way for your first few weeks. Eventually, try to learn to tune by ear.

You could also buy a combination tuner/metronome - even better. Metronomes are your friend.

Buy some medium picks, a set of light gauge acoustic strings, and a string winder-cutter. Then you should be all set for a while.

I would recommend, if you're a beginner, spending your money on instructional material instead of accessories. In time, when you need that other stuff, you'll know what to do.

There are usually some good books with downloadable audio, or some DVD instructional materials at Guitar Center, or you could find them online at Amazon or Musician's friend.

A good DVD for a true beginner is Fender's Getting Started on Acoustic Guitar. (should be available for cheap or used for even cheaper. In fact if you can't find this I might still have it and I could mail it to you.) There are various Hal Leonard books and such which are fine too.

If you really want to invest in a full course that will start you off right, I highly recommend the Learn and Master Guitar course with Steve Krenz. It's a boxed set of 20 DVDs, some play-along CDs, and an instructional book. It's really great, and will keep you busy for a long time. By the time you get halfway through that course you'll be well on your way.

For free stuff only, there is a lot online. Check out JustinGuitar.com or the "Learn to Play" area on Reverb, or many other places. There are even some decent lessons on YouTube, although the material on there is of varying levels of quality.

Good luck and keep checking in with us! Music is a journey that never ends but it's worth it!
Old 05-24-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmf View Post
I have owned the folk sized version of this alvarez designation. very nice player, good sound and good to go out of the box. I did put a lighter set of strings on.
as such I would probably not recommend an immediate setup. give it a few months. you and the guitar will have developed a few idiosyncrasies (read buzzing) by then and either the guitar or you playing will need an adjustment.
good luck on your journey.
btw it discounted when I looked it up on GC today.
It was on sale for $300. when I purchased it about a month ago. I’ve been out of town for an extended period so as soon as I get home I will be picking it up. Thanks for watching out for my financial interests.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
It was on sale for $300. when I purchased it about a month ago. I’ve been out of town for an extended period so as soon as I get home I will be picking it up. Thanks for watching out for my financial interests.
Alvarez are great guitars..

If you ordered it from online with in-store pickup.

You mentioned ordering it a month ago.
Make sure you still have the 45 days return policy.

This way, you can take home and have your instructor inspect when you start lessons. Be able to return if for some reason you do not like it.

Best to ya!
Old 05-24-2018, 01:21 PM

Some really helpful information here, thank so much.
I did purchase a TC Unitune tuner that will arrive about the time I get home. Other than that the guitar and case so far. I have an instructor that I start taking lessons with on June 5th then each week for a half hour. I feel if I don’t have some structure and goals each week it may be to easy to put it aside and I really want to learn to play. He told me to wait on picks. I’m going to see if he will go with to pick up and inspect the guitar. So enthusiastic to get started and am hoping I find a passion here.
GC said the 45 day return policy starts when the guitar is ready for pick up so that gives me about two weeks to return it after it’s picked up. Does that seem correct or fair?
Any and all advice that you’ve shared with me so great from my perspective. I read other posts and threads and feel I’m learning much, however much of it is over my head but I’m sure in time that will change somewhat. It does seem that I’ve learned that you don’t want to be a bass, banjo or accordion player from the jokes post, too funny!
Old 05-24-2018, 02:51 PM

Yes, 2 weeks is enough time to decide if you are happy with it.

A word of advice... Beginners can be fidgity when handling and playing a guitar for the first time. Play through whatever is bothering you about the guitar. Guitars are large instruments and to the beginner, guitars are awkward. Don't take this personally... Don't blame the guitar for the things you struggle with. Don't blame the pick. Don't blame the neck. Don't blame the strings or the string spacing. Don't be fidgity with these things. In time, you will overcome these things through forming a relationship with your guitar. And hard work.

As others have said, you have a fine guitar. In time, it will become very special to you. It's okay if it bites back in the beginning. Learn to play it just the way it is, after a good set-up.

Enjoy the journey.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Some really helpful information here, thank so much.
I did purchase a TC Unitune tuner that will arrive about the time I get home. Other than that the guitar and case so far. I have an instructor that I start taking lessons with on June 5th then each week for a half hour. I feel if I don’t have some structure and goals each week it may be to easy to put it aside and I really want to learn to play. He told me to wait on picks. I’m going to see if he will go with to pick up and inspect the guitar. So enthusiastic to get started and am hoping I find a passion here.
GC said the 45 day return policy starts when the guitar is ready for pick up so that gives me about two weeks to return it after it’s picked up. Does that seem correct or fair?
Any and all advice that you’ve shared with me so great from my perspective. I read other posts and threads and feel I’m learning much, however much of it is over my head but I’m sure in time that will change somewhat. It does seem that I’ve learned that you don’t want to be a bass, banjo or accordion player from the jokes post, too funny!
Sounds like you are off to a great start. Remember, you can buy the fanciest gear in the world and it still won’t make you a better player. As long as you have a guitar that plays ok, and the basics like a tuner and metronome, invest your time and energy in practice, not stuff. If there’s a tech at Guitar Center (or someplace else), ask them to check the neck and the action. If those things are pretty ok, you’re good.

Your biggest success factor is your own commitment to getting professional instruction and to making time for daily practice. Spend at least a half hour or any hour a day practicing. No phones or iPads or tv, just you in your guitar sanctuary. And it really can be a sanctuary,

At some point you’ll realize that mastering this instrument is *hard*. Most people give up then. The rewards lie waiting beyond that point, for those people who push through and commit to guitar not as a distraction or a passing fancy but a part of your life.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
He's a beginner so these things carry little weight at this point. What you've posted here is excellent advice for a beginners 2nd guitar. Just how I see it...
I agree. When I started playing, I didn't even know guitars came in different neck shapes, string spacings and what not. Most importantly, I couldn't have cared less at that time. The only thing important to me was the sound, because that's what would inspire me to practice and learn in the first place.

Learning any new instrument is difficult at first, and while I agree that certain neck shapes and body sizes may lend themselves more or less to helping a beginner make progress, I also think that when you've never played before, you're essentially a blank slate and very adaptable. In other words, you'll learn to do what you must in order to play that new thing.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 05-24-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colder View Post
Remember, you can buy the fanciest gear in the world and it still won’t make you a better player. As long as you have a guitar that plays ok, and the basics like a tuner and metronome, invest your time and energy in practice, not stuff.
^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 05-24-2018, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

You gotten tons of great advice and I want to repeat that you should have the guitar looked at to make sure it is setup as low as it can be for what you are playing.

Don't get me wrong, your fingers are still going to hurt while you are developing tough finger tips, but not having the guitar "setup" properly will slow you down and actually hurt your development a bit.

A lot of us struggled with terrible guitars 50 or so years ago when we were learning and now know that a lot of the struggle can be avoided.

Ask your instructor his opinion of the guitar's setup. The guitar's neck relief should be almost flat, and the lowest nut and saddle setup the guitar can have without buzzing when strummed.

Have fun with it. Alvarez makes a good guitar. Good choice.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion