The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-24-2018, 09:43 AM

Default Seeing your old guitar at Guitar Center

Over the past several years, I've traded in a number of guitars at Guitar Center. I've done so with my eyes open and while I would have liked to get more money for them, I've been generally satisfied with what they offered so this question isn't about how much they offer but rather, "where do they go"?

Like many on this forum, I regularly go into GC or check out their website and oftentimes check out their used guitars to see if there is anything interesting to investigate.

Here's the rub: In all the years and of all the guitars I've traded in at GC, I've only seen one up for sale. That's one out of about 12-15 guitars!

For anyone who works or has worked at GC, where do they go? I understand they must be held for a period of time to ensure they're not selling stolen goods, but at least here in Las Vegas, the sales tag shows the date a new buyer may take possession.

Do they send them elsewhere? I admit I mostly only check the local GCs so if they do send them out of state I'd rarely ever know.

Anyone?
PJ
Old 05-24-2018, 09:56 AM

I assume that some of them are bought at such a low wholesale price that the employees buy them before they see daylight on the web or on the sales floor.

That has to be a MAJOR perk of working at GC (and perhaps the only perk..).
Old 05-24-2018, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Some stores, less GC's than mom and pop's, have really good customer relationships and when they take certain guitars in that they know would be liked by a certain customer, they often let them know and turn a quick sale. I'm one of those guys for a few stores and they know what I like and what I'll buy, so if/when they take something in, they give me a buzz and offer it up without having to do much of anything to it but collect a margin for being the conduit. I wouldn't be suprised if a local GC had a nice little network like that. Just a thought.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:25 AM

I ever traded in one guitar- a Larrivee OMV-09E. I was really impressed by the price they gave me. I know that's not normal. But they gave me $1200 and I only paid $1200 new plus I sent it to Larrivee to get a pickup put in for about $300. And I used it for 3 or 4 years.

I remember seeing it in GC after I traded it. I used to go and play it because I missed it. U think they ended up selling it for $2100 or so. That's what it was marked, anyway. Not sure what it actually went for. But it wasn't there long.

This doesn't really answer your question. Sorry. :-)
Old 05-24-2018, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

It's likely that a GC employee bought it at a discount. But, it may also be that they send them to other stores or trade back and forth.

I've sold a few instruments to my local GC and have indeed seen a few, but not all, on the floor for sale.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post
I ever traded in one guitar- a Larrivee OMV-09E. I was really impressed by the price they gave me. I know that's not normal. But they gave me $1200 and I only paid $1200 new plus I sent it to Larrivee to get a pickup put in for about $300. And I used it for 3 or 4 years.

I remember seeing it in GC after I traded it. I used to go and play it because I missed it. U think they ended up selling it for $2100 or so. That's what it was marked, anyway. Not sure what it actually went for. But it wasn't there long.

This doesn't really answer your question. Sorry. :-)
A Larrivee OM-09 model for $1200 new. Wow. What year did you purchase it.??
Old 05-24-2018, 11:49 AM

I got my Gretsch 6120 from GC online - on the Gretschpages forum, one of the members recognized it, and was able to give me the details - which included a structured foam case - the ad said "with case"....

But evidently GC either sold the case separately or an employee grabbed it.

Since the ad said it came with a case...and it shipped without one..I was able to get them to send me a brand-new Gretsch 6241 case - that would have cost me $150-180 elsewhere.

(The free case was on top of getting the 2013 6120 in excellent condition for $1500).
Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience
Old 05-24-2018, 12:03 PM

GC posts all used gear on their Website, and that site is searchable as a single database.

This means a used guitar in a Chicago GC appears in Atlanta on the GC site. If I want that specific guitar, the GC in Chicago ships it to the GC in Atlanta where I can go pick it up.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
A Larrivee OM-09 model for $1200 new. Wow. What year did you purchase it.??
It was somewhere around 2002. Maybe 2003. It was a really good deal at the time. I got it at a guitar show. I played it and fell in love with it. The guy was a dealer and was just selling stuff really cheap. My Larrivee dealer in town said he wouldn't be able to sell it at that price and make anything.

I was very lucky with that purchase, I guess.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
I assume that some of them are bought at such a low wholesale price that the employees buy them before they see daylight on the web or on the sales floor.
Yup. My brother traded in one of the original Ibanez Jem electrics, one of the highly-sought-after versions. I'm sure that thing never saw the light of day.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:58 PM

Traded in an Alvarez after having no luck selling it (but I'd gotten such a good deal when I bought it that I still came out $20 ahead). Saw it there for a while, then it was gone for a few weeks, then it came back. Sat there a while again before it disappeared for good. Was a fine guitar, but needed a light touch to really sing, and we just didn't get on.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:06 PM

I've never traded-in a guitar at GC, although I did try twice. Both times -- after they gave me a quote and then used the defibrillator to revive me -- I took the guitar back home and sold it online. . .
Old 05-24-2018, 02:03 PM

NOt GC, but a guitar trade in/saw it again tale...

in the mid 90's I traded a '34 Martin 0-17 (yeah yeah, I know...) for a nearly new LArrivee OM-5. MArtin needed tons of work (Neck set, frets, etc) and I was broke, and I needed a change. Loved that Larrivee so much I gave it to my son instead of selling it. Months later, I returned to Spruce Tree and saw the old martin, on the wall, for sale (for like $900 if I recall... I paid $275 for it in the late 70's). I asked to play it. I was surprised and glad to find that it did NOT blow me away.

ME
Mainland Tenor Uke

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion