The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2018, 04:58 PM

Default Need see schooling ony new Guild

I've just purchased a used Guild D-50 that was made in New Hartford in 2012. From my understanding (which could very well be incorrect) Guild were making a D-50 Standard and a D-50 Bluegrass Special at this point. The Standard featured a Sitka top, satin neck and no chesterfield logo whereas the BS featured and Adirondack top, gloss neck and the chesterfield logo. The model I have bought is labelled just D-50 but features a Sitka top, gloss neck and chesterfield logo. Is this another version of the D-50 that Guild was making during this period that I'm unaware of?
Old 05-23-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswilson89 View Post
I've just purchased a used Guild D-50 that was made in New Hartford in 2012. From my understanding (which could very well be incorrect) Guild were making a D-50 Standard and a D-50 Bluegrass Special at this point. The Standard featured a Sitka top, satin neck and no chesterfield logo whereas the BS featured and Adirondack top, gloss neck and the chesterfield logo. The model I have bought is labelled just D-50 but features a Sitka top, gloss neck and chesterfield logo. Is this another version of the D-50 that Guild was making during this period that I'm unaware of?
Congratulations! They are very different looking guitars, the BS also had some fancy looking tortoise bindings. Just do an image search on the two models and you will find many examples of what they look like.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:05 PM

I believe there was also a D50 that was not a special or standard before N.H
Either way they are good guitars
Custom Tele
Taylor 814ce
And what evers next
Old 05-23-2018, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

From what I recall, the "Bluegrass" moniker preceded New Hartford and perhaps even Tacoma. The higher end D-50 was in the Traditional series, and as noted above probably should have "dead turtle" binding; the Standard series actually has Italian Ivoroid binding.

As I am aware of, some Tacoma's and all New Hartford builds ("Traditional") had red spruce tops. Some may be more tightly grained than others; if you have one that is as tight as Sitka, you may have hit the Guild-jackpot!

The Standard series had AA Spruce tops.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:51 PM

Default Guild Blue Grass

There was a recent thread on this over on a the Let's Talk Guild forum. I'll see if I can post a link to it.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 05-24-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ashton View Post
From what I recall, the "Bluegrass" moniker preceded New Hartford and perhaps even Tacoma. The higher end D-50 was in the Traditional series, and as noted above probably should have "dead turtle" binding; the Standard series actually has Italian Ivoroid binding.

As I am aware of, some Tacoma's and all New Hartford builds ("Traditional") had red spruce tops. Some may be more tightly grained than others; if you have one that is as tight as Sitka, you may have hit the Guild-jackpot!

The Standard series had AA Spruce tops.
Hmmmmm what's really getting me is that it is just labelled 'D-50'... If it was a BS wouldn't it have that stated on the label in the sound hole? It has all the attributes of the BS, tortoiseshell binding, gloss neck, chesterfield logo... Possibly Adirondack spruce top but it is very tight, looks more like Sitka to me. It's and interesting one!
Old 05-24-2018, 02:12 AM

Here's some pics of said guitar:

http://imgur.com/gallery/Mu8qBID

The lines in the spruce below the B and e strings are making me think that maybe it is Adirondack.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Wow! That is spectacular!

My feel is that with those dark grain lines showing through the sunburst finish, it is like other red spruce Guild was using, with some staining and the dark lines. But you are right, the grain is really tight.

Would not have expected to see "Bluegrass" anything on the label, although perhaps "SB" for sunburst.

Your really should post an inquiry over on Lets Talk Guild, there are many others there more on top of this than I am.

Enjoy her!
Old 05-24-2018, 07:21 AM

I've done some more searching and it seems this a Bluegrass Special. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-24-2018, 07:39 AM

That looks like a red spruce Guild top to me.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:33 AM

Definitely a BS.

The center stripe on the back says it all, in addition to the tortoise binding.

Also, the BS has an ebony fretboard and bridge, while the Standard uses rosewood.

By the way, it was the 7th guitar made on the 240th day of 2012 in New Hartford.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 05-25-2018, 11:54 AM

^ There you go !
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion