The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-22-2018, 01:25 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Those are really beautiful guitars, Enzo! Welcome to the forum!

J.R. Rogers
Old 05-22-2018, 02:27 PM

Sorry I posted 2 two times the same reply. I can't delete it

Last edited by clark25; 05-22-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Those are really beautiful guitars, Enzo! Welcome to the forum!

J.R. Rogers
Hi J.R. Rogers,

thank you so much!!!

Enzo
Old 05-22-2018, 03:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark25 View Post
Hi david, thank you so much for your reply.

Actually the guitar is a multiscale. The scales are 26" an E string and 25,4" on e-string.

Today I sold the guitar at the padova guitar show. All people said the guitar is very playable and dadgad tuning is very responsive. I had three orders... It would be great for me to give you the opportunity to try it

Regards,
Enzo
That's fantastic! I didn't realise from the photos that there was a scale difference (perspective makes it very difficult to accurately picture these instruments). As a massive proponent of multiscale guitars I would be very interested to try this configuration sometime - and I'm really glad that it's proving successful for you.

Quote:
Hi Aram,

thank you so much. Finally I see something similar, now I will search again in order to understand why they did that.

In any case also this configuration (multiscale no fanned) is covered by Novak patent.

Enzo
Actually, the Novak patent has passed into the public domain, and should probably never have been granted in the first place - multiscale fretted instruments have been around for hundreds of years. In fact, the guitar is quite unusual for an instrument with its range and number of strings to have a constant scale length - the harp, the piano and the five-string banjo are all examples of instruments with varying scale lengths throughout their range.

I believe Novak still has a valid registered trademark on the term "Fanned-Fret" so this should not be used by others.

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

When you say the frets aren't fanned, do you mean the angle isn't changing? If that's the case, I don't see how you can have different scale lengths on the treble and bass side and retain proper intonation. Maybe I'm missing something. The frets have to be fanned, do they not? In this case, I think there is no perpendicular fret, or rather the perpendicular fret is some imaginary fret in front of the nut.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
When you say the frets aren't fanned, do you mean the angle isn't changing? If that's the case, I don't see how you can have different scale lengths on the treble and bass side and retain proper intonation. Maybe I'm missing something. The frets have to be fanned, do they not? In this case, I think there is no perpendicular fret, or rather the perpendicular fret is some imaginary fret in front of the nut.
Hi,

just consider to place a capo to the first fret after the perpendicular one. In this case you have a sort of mutiscale no fanned fretboard and of course everithing works again. The point of "convergence" if outside the fretboard, before the nut, as you imagined.

For me fanned means the the angles of the frets change from a positive to a negative angle. In my case all angles are negative and the immaginary point of convergence (so they are not parallel by definition) is before the nut and not between the nut and the bridge under the perpendicular fret as you can see on the multiscale fanned fretboard.

Enzo
Old 05-23-2018, 08:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Very nice work Enzo! I really like the neck on your no-fan fret guitar

Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 05-23-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Very nice work Enzo! I really like the neck on your no-fan fret guitar

Mark
Hi Mark,

thank you so much... your words are amplified x1000000... you are in my top ten of favourite builders!

Thanks!!!

Enzo
Old 05-23-2018, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi,

just consider to place a capo to the first fret after the perpendicular one. In this case you have a sort of mutiscale no fanned fretboard and of course everithing works again. The point of "convergence" if outside the fretboard, before the nut, as you imagined.

For me fanned means the the angles of the frets change from a positive to a negative angle. In my case all angles are negative and the immaginary point of convergence (so they are not parallel by definition) is before the nut and not between the nut and the bridge under the perpendicular fret as you can see on the multiscale fanned fretboard.

Enzo
Got it. I still think of that as fanned, though I realize that’s a bit of a semantic argument. Very cool guitar!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop