The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-02-2017, 04:07 AM

Default Smaller alternative for dreadnought

Hello everyone. I have my uncle dreadnought size guitar.
My only and main guitar is les paul type electric guitar with 24.75 inch(628 mm) scale lenght. Problem is that dreadnought size acoustic guitar bodys are too big for me. Too bulky for playing. My height is 164cm and I wear women's gloves beacuse men's gloves are too big for me what I can buy from stores.

Whether or what type of steel string acoustic guitar to buy? I play like punk rocker. I was thinking o, parlor or oo bodys. I use strap to hold guitar in place when I'm playing.

I live in Estonia I can mostly buy factory standards. Also some parolor and 3/4 are in stores. I would like to play in 24.7 scale length with low action. Most cheap acoustic guitars are plywood guitars. Need to figure out what acoustic guitar body types to look and what price range starts acoustic steel string guitars what are not entirely made out of cheap plywood. Price range should be maximum 300€

Last edited by DeathSuperMario; 12-02-2017 at 05:31 AM.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:59 AM

Look at the Yamaha FS series...especially the FS820. They don't sound much smaller than a dread, just more focused.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:14 AM

Welcome Mario. First I have no idea what is available to you in Estonia or if you are planning on purchasing via internet throughout the EU. I would look around Ebay UK and other on-line possibilities. Most 000's will give you the short-scale you want and the output for your punk-rock style. The only caution I will add is that many short-scale acoustics may not have the headroom for your thrashing.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:03 AM

You should go to a shop and try several different size guitars to see which ones fit you best. Try the largest and work your way down in size until it fits. Then start looking at other criteria that you want.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:10 AM

In American guitars, I’ve played Martin Dreadnought Jr, Taylor X12 models, and some Gibson’s with that scale that were nice guitars.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Default smaller dread

A suggestion is to find a Martin Dread Jr. It is exactly what you have described.
If not the Dread Jr, then try a 12 fret OM/000. Not the 'thump' of a dread, but close.
IMHO
Old 12-03-2017, 04:03 AM

Best music instrument store for me is http://www.stanfordmusic.com/en/
They have bigger choice of guitars than any other stores.
I can also buy from https://www.thomann.de/intl/ee/index.html

I was thinking Washburn WP11SNS
Now I know what I need. 24-24.7 inch scale parlor guitar what suits for plectrum playing ending with 350$(300€) price range. What to choose?
Fender CP-100 based on reviews are with bad fret work.

Last edited by DeathSuperMario; 12-03-2017 at 06:29 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
dreadnought, guitar, guitar acoustic, punk, smaller body