The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-23-2016, 11:29 AM

Default Looper w/ mic... XLR----->1/4"

I have searched hi and low on AGF and web and can't find answer to this problem. I want to record my own rhythm tracks from say tambourine, egg or bongos and use them as a loop for acoustic songs. I want to do this with a mic but both of my guitar loopers have no mic input (XLR). I don't want to buy a mic looper if I don't have to. Is it possible to change the XLR to a 1/4" male and into the looper's input? My looper's are digitech solo XT or the new Ditto X4. Bought the Ditto to replace the Solo for the dual loop capability but didn't realize both loop inputs are 1/4". I have a transducer plug but I don't understand the whole phantom power, line level, instrument level thing. Do I need a pre-amp in front of mic?

Thanks, Nick
Old 02-23-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescon View Post
I have searched hi and low on AGF and web and can't find answer to this problem. I want to record my own rhythm tracks from say tambourine, egg or bongos and use them as a loop for acoustic songs. I want to do this with a mic but both of my guitar loopers have no mic input (XLR). I don't want to buy a mic looper if I don't have to. Is it possible to change the XLR to a 1/4" male and into the looper's input? My looper's are digitech solo XT or the new Ditto X4. Bought the Ditto to replace the Solo for the dual loop capability but didn't realize both loop inputs are 1/4". I have a transducer plug but I don't understand the whole phantom power, line level, instrument level thing. Do I need a pre-amp in front of mic?

Thanks, Nick
It depends on a couple of things. First, the kind of mic you're using. Most dynamic stage mics will not need phantom power, so if you've got one you won't have trouble with that issue. You're going into a high impedance input with a low impedance signal, so that won't be a problem either. However, you might not have enough gain going into the looper, which expects an instrument level signal and might not be able to do much with a mic level signal. You won't blow anything up trying, however, so get a cable and try it. If it's not workable (too quiet, too much noise), I'd say sell or return the Ditto X4 and get a looper with a mic input. There are lots of them. For example, there's the dual switch version of the DigiTech.

Louis
Old 02-23-2016, 04:40 PM

I have a Behringer mic preamp that I bought for trying something out with my electric guitar. The mic preamp has both xlr and 1/4" inputs and outs. The mic preamp was less than $50.00 new.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification