The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-26-2008, 05:10 AM

Default DTar Mama Bear, K&K Mini, question

I have a Mama Bear preamp, not purchased specifically for use with the K&K mini but for use with a DTar Wavelength p/u. My question is has anyone tried Mama Bear with the K&K and what settings did you use. I'm not really sure what "type" of classification to apply to the K&K it seems to be a non typical p/u. Thanks Jim <><
DY-38 Alvarez Yairi
DY-45 Alvarez Yairi
DY-52 Alvarez Yairi
DY-59 Alvarez Yairi
DY-77N Alvarez Yairi
Dy-84C Alvarez Yairi
Takamine Beater
Martin 000-18 retro
Old 12-26-2008, 06:30 AM

Hi Jim,

Mama Bear wasn't designed for use with SBTs, but using Mama Bear with the Pure Western-mini has worked for me, especially for recording. (I prefer USTs or dual source rigs for live sound, as the mini-Pure tends to get boomy and problematic {for me} at higher volumes.) To my way of thinking, Mama Bear gives the mini-Pure sound more of an outside-the-guitar perspective.

All three of my recordings in the "SoloAmp Test Recording" thread were made with this signal chain: mini-Pure> Fishman Platinum Pro EQ preamp (EQ set flat)> PreSonus EQ3B (for parametric EQ)> Mama Bear> Zoom H4 recorder

Normally, I'd preamp the mini-Pure with a high-headroom PUTW "Line Driver" preamp which I velcro to the guitar. The Line Driver is being repaired, however, so I preamped with the Platinum. If I had wanted to put Mama Bear before the EQ, I could have simplified the signal chain a bit and preamped with Mama Bear. (The PreSonus EQ3B's input impedance is way too low to properly impedance buffer the passive mini-Pure signal.) I should mention that the guitar signal chain also went thru my HarmonyG pedal, but I don't think the pedal processed the signal in any appreciable way.

As for the Mama Bear particulars, I'm using the "neutral" input (#16) with the slope-shoulder dread target guitar (#7) at an effect level of about 45% (12:30 o'clock on the level dial).

Hope that helps.
Gary
Old 12-26-2008, 09:34 AM

These two products do not go well together. the Mama bear needs an undersaddle pickup.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:43 PM

check out the D-Tar Website forum...
Old 12-27-2008, 08:41 AM

Here you go, Jim. I made a comparison recording for you of the Mi-Si UST in my spruce/mahogany OM vs the mini-Pure SBT in the same guitar.
Mi-Si UST vs K&K mini-Pure

I ran both of them thru the same signal chain, which included Mama Bear.

pickup> Fishman Platinum Pro EQ preamp> Presonus EQ3B (parametric EQ)> Mama Bear> Zoom H4 recorder

The Mi-Si system has its own onboard preamp, but I still ran it thru the Platinum preamp because I think the Platinum's "smooth effect" helps a bit with quack.

I doubt that I have to tell you which pickup is which. The mini-Pure has a rounder, more pleasing sound, which is why I prefer to record off of it. As I mentioned before, I prefer the UST for live sound because the mini-Pure tends to get boomy and/or feedback at higher volumes.

Regarding the Mi-Si UST, its probably the least quacky of all the single-source USTs that I've tried. I don't feel its as dynamically responsive as the Wavelength, however. If this guitar had a Tusq saddle (rather than bone), I'd probably prefer to have a Wavelength system in it. I have a killer setup in my cedar/mahogany Samick OM - a Wavelength UST under the Tusq saddle and a tiny Shadow Nano-Mag pickup at the end of the fretboard for when I really need a high level of feedback-free gain. (The Wavelength UST senses multi-directionally and does pick up a lot of body vibration. Its going to be a little more feedback prone than a unidirectionally string-sensing UST like the Takamine Palathetic system which is mechanically designed to avoid body vibrations.)

Gary

Last edited by guitaniac; 12-27-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:39 PM

I know this post was from late last year, but just wanted to say 'thanks' to guitaniac. It was very helpful.

If the King loves music, it is well with the land. ~Mencius

bourgeois omc euro
ca cargo, gxi
doolin om
gibson custom j45 vine
larrivee sd50, cust.walnut parlor
martin d40, d18ge, ltd.000 hippie
takamine ef341sc, ltd98
taylor 555-12, T5-C, 516ce FLTD

electrics: suhr-s, taylor T3-B, gibson lp std, guild '63 starfire III & '80 IV; amer.dlx & '57 AVRI strats; 52RI & J Burton teles
Old 02-09-2009, 05:12 PM

pdks,

What setup did you end up going with, and for what application (stage or recording)?

Gary

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification