The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-07-2009, 08:38 PM

Default Affordable PA system

I am a solo acoustic player/vocalist looking for an affordable PA sound system for a small outdoor venue. I've been using a Crate 125W acoustic amp and haven't been pleased with the sound.

Would love to hear some recommendations from you guys. Thanks.

Martin HD-28V
Martin JC-16RGTE Premium
Taylor Koa GS-LTD 12-fret
Breedlove C-10 12-string
Cordoba Solista CE
Seagull M6 Gloss
Old 02-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Musical minimalist

first, buy used....

if you search your local craigslist, or do a "distance - nearest first" search on ebay, you can avoid paying shipping costs on gear and get (especially the speakers) it cheaper.

I'd reccomend looking for a small powered mixer like a Yamaha EMX312sc..

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-EMX312SC-...QQcmdZViewItem

..great little unit (I use the EMX512sc and love it) There are many different speakers to consider, but the bang for buck winner in my opinion (and after much trial and error) is the Peavey PR series. I have the PR12's and I'm sure they would be fine for what you are looking for.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...RWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

Of course this is dependent on the size of the crowd you are playing for outside. Sound gets "carried away" on wind and covered up by other noises outside, so you kind of have to take that into consideration.

The thing I like a lot about my system is how light it is....the EMX512sc is about 18 lbs and the PR12's are about 20 lbs apiece......they weigh totally (all 3 pieces) about the same as the old Bag End PA speakers I used for almost 20 years did EACH. Makes for an easy load in/load out

Tonally, the Yamaha's are unique as they have compression on the first four channels.....nice feature for sure. It's the best system I've had, the lightest and one of the most inexpensive!

One big problem you'll have with using an amplifier like yours is dispersion when being used outside.....you'd need to get the amp up in the air (unless you are playing on a stage) where the speakers are close to the height of the listeners. Even then, it only projects to a limited coverage area, where a separate pair of speakers will cover quite a bit more territory.

Last edited by fitness1; 02-07-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:44 AM

Ditto on the 312SC. I have one - very versatile, onboard effects and the aforementioned compression on 4 channels. Also has phantom power for condensers.

I would differ on the speakers, though. Have a look at the Yammy 12's or 15's. The EMX312SC has a special feature that optimizes the amp for those speakers. With the 312SC, the 12's would be a better match.

Good luck!

Cabbitt
Old 02-08-2009, 10:50 AM

A simple solution might be a pair of Roland Cube Monitor 30's. Self contained, integral 30 watt power, 2 way speakers, XLR and line inputs. Mount on std mic stands and are small , light easy to carry and set up. Makes a more than fair acoustic amp when used singly and can also be used as recording monitors when at home.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:51 PM

I purchased a 312SC with two BR12 cabinets a few years ago for a gospel quartet I was a part of and never had a problem one with it in any regards. We ran a CD deck and the four microphones and had a great sound coming through the system. Due to an illness with a member, the quartet had to stop singing.

Later I hooked up with some other musicians and we used the 312SC with no problems in the group setting. We had two acoustic guitars, a bass and two vocal microphones in the system. We never had to push the system at any time in any of our Church venues. The average size of the auditoriums seated approximately 100 people.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kente777 View Post
I am a solo acoustic player/vocalist looking for an affordable PA sound system for a small outdoor venue. I've been using a Crate 125W acoustic amp and haven't been pleased with the sound.

Would love to hear some recommendations from you guys. Thanks.
I'm partial to self powered two boxes the Mackie SRM 350 or the equivalent from RCF, the 310A.

Both boxes are pretty well behaved with regard to pattern control and response. Both will get plenty loud for an acoustic act. Their quite a few capable small mixers you can pair up as a front end. The Mackie Onyx and small Allen & Heath are both quite good for the $$$.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Musical minimalist

kente.....send you an email.....

Old 02-09-2009, 11:16 AM

If you are always a solo player and only need a channel for vocal and guitar consider the Fishman SoloAmp, minimum equipment/setup and a terrific sound. Wonderful gear for solo players.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 02-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

I'm surprised it took so long for someone to mention the Fishman SoloAmp. Call Bruce at the House of Guitars 585 544-3500 and tell him Bat asked you to call. He will give you an amazing deal.
By the way, all the suggestions here are good ones.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:25 PM

It is hard to provide a meaningful answer without knowing what you consider affordable. Carvin's LM12A is a two-way, bi-amped, 350-watt, powered PA speaker with a built-in mixer and a price of 390 frog skins. One could start out with a single speaker and a reverb unit like the Alesis Nanoverb, then, if needed, add a second one and, finally, a separate full-featured mixer.

https://www.carvinguitars.com/produc...?product=LM12A

You might want to also consider this 100 watt, $450 PA that runs on a rechargeable lead-acid battery (free of the NiCad "memory" problems).

https://www.carvinguitars.com/produc...?product=S400D

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification