The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-03-2021, 03:13 PM

Default Bridge is lifting on new LG-2 Reissue

I bought a 2020 50s LG-2 reissue about three weeks ago from my local Sam Ash. I’ve enjoyed it! Just last night I noticed that the bridge is lifting up- seemingly coming unglued- on the Low E String end. I couldn’t believe it? After only a few weeks of playing? It had been out on the floor for quite a while at the store as well, so I don’t know if that would have played a role. Sam Ash has said they can either fix it or I can exchange it. I’m leaning toward exchanging it because I’m worried there might be something structurally wrong with the wood. Am I thinking along the right track? Thanks for your input.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Unless that guitar has your dream tone, I'd just exchange it.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

How much of a gap are we talking about here? It's pretty normal on many guitars for there to a be a little gap (like, big enough to slide some paper in there), around the corners.

If it's anything more than that, I'd just exchange it.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 05-03-2021, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
How much of a gap are we talking about here? It's pretty normal on many guitars for there to a be a little gap (like, big enough to slide some paper in there), around the corners.

If it's anything more than that, I'd just exchange it.
^^^Yes - it if is in the corner, then this can be 100% normal.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:49 PM

On a Taylor bridge, but not a Gibson. Return it.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:55 PM

This just started happening on my 2018 J-45. I love the sound of the guitar, but it's also not like I have an infinite return window take it back, so of course it's going to get fixed under warranty. I would say exchange it, unless the guitar really really speaks to you.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:21 AM

If you have it repaired, you will have a period of time without it to play. Exchange it and there is no wait. Exchanged, you may get something you like less (or, perhaps, better).

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

I think that you should exchange it - and write to Gibson.

The company has been making guitars for over 100 years. You would think that by now they would have the factory processes perfect for gluing on a bridge. Frankly, I would be embarrassed as a manufacturer if I had a bridge lift after a few weeks' of playing and would want to investigate the cause within my production process. This is an expensive USA made guitar we are talking about, not a $150 Far East import.

I've been GASsing after one of those 50s LG-2 guitars as I think that its tone and features would really suit my playing style. So I'm very disappointed to hear about this quality issue.

I hope that you get it sorted quickly and that Gibson acknowledge that this shouldn't be happening and, most importantly, do something to stop the bridges lifting in future.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 05-31-2021, 07:13 PM

Unfortunately in the same boat with only a couple month old J15. Was praising it when first recvd... Loved it!! Great feel & tone, great initial set up, perfect sunburst paint job and sweet walnut figured back/sides.

Then noticed over the first few weeks just a little lift on bass side front corner of the bridge (just enough to get paper under corner), thought no biggie. Well its gotten really worse over the last month or so to the point where you can slide paper probably 1/4"+ under it on a 45 degree angle. I am a pretty mechanical being a former aircraft/engine tech and do most of my own guitar work (plus have all tooling for bridges), so I will fix it myself... But am disappointed in their build quality/QC and shouldn't have to on a new $2K guitar from a premier US factory!
Old 05-31-2021, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Unless that guitar has your dream tone, I'd just exchange it.
Agreed. I’m sure someone at the shop will just glue it back down and sell as a new guitar (rightfully so, assuming the original adhesion was just a bad joint). But it’s a new guitar, might as well get another quick. It’ll sound better with the bridge glued down too!
Old 05-31-2021, 11:08 PM

Default a thought

No guitar factory exists to make guitars. It exists to make money. Every manufacturer tries to optimize its production flow, in its own way. Looks like Gibson's cost-cutting didn't work out in the bridge-attaching area.
Old 06-01-2021, 02:40 AM

Return it..life is too short to faff about.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:25 AM
Charter Member

I'd exchange it for another even if you have to wait for one from the Gibson factory.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-01-2021, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
I think that you should exchange it - and write to Gibson.

The company has been making guitars for over 100 years. You would think that by now they would have the factory processes perfect for gluing on a bridge. Frankly, I would be embarrassed as a manufacturer if I had a bridge lift after a few weeks' of playing and would want to investigate the cause within my production process. This is an expensive USA made guitar we are talking about, not a $150 Far East import.
Robin, no manufacturer is without issues. Look up the numerous threads on “binding issues” with Martin guitars as just one for instance.
There was a post on here a few years back where a very expensive custom guitar had misaligned drilling of tuner holes. That guitar cost a lot more than the aforementioned Gibson.
How about recalls on automobiles? You would think that after a century of building them they could get it right.
If you suppose otherwise, you are being unrealistic.
No offense intended and I certainly would contact Gibson, but stuff happens.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-01-2021, 08:02 AM

A lifting bridge is a common repair. Did you humidify the guitar during the dry winter? Do you keep the guitar away from radiators or heating ducts? If you like the guitar let Sam Ash fix the loose bridge. You'll get the guitar back in less than a week. It's a simple repair for a luthier to do. They remove some of the old glue , reglue it, and clamp it down over night. I've had this repair done on my Gibson and Martin guitars. After the repair they play and sound as they normally should.
Bridge wood (rosewood or ebony) moves differently than the Spruce top when humidity or temperature changes. Extreme temperature changes also cause movement of the wood of a guitar. Do not keep a guitar in a cold or hot place.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bridge lifting, gibson, lg-2