The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-02-2021, 10:23 AM

Question Gibson g45 studio VS Martin D15/X series

Anyone had the pleasure of comparing these guitars? I’ve watched some videos and I think I want to make one of these my new guitar, how do they stack up to each other?
2013 Gibson J-35
1957 Martin 0-15
2019 Martin DSS-17
1980 Martin D-35
Old 01-03-2021, 09:23 AM

I own a G-45 Studio. It sounds nice with fingerpicking, but my only complaint is that it's a bit thin / treble sounding with medium to heavy strumming. It's a good deal though because it's a Gibson, made in America, and has all solid woods. See if you can try one first. I've read others' reviews online and people seem to really like it.

I haven't played the Martin D15, but I do have a Martin X1-DE which I think is an X series. The Martin X1-DE sounds better than the Gibson with heavy strumming. Totally different tone though, so I'm not sure which one you would like better.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeisen93 View Post
I own a G-45 Studio. It sounds nice with fingerpicking, but my only complaint is that it's a bit thin / treble sounding with medium to heavy strumming. It's a good deal though because it's a Gibson, made in America, and has all solid woods. See if you can try one first. I've read others' reviews online and people seem to really like it.

I haven't played the Martin D15, but I do have a Martin X1-DE which I think is an X series. The Martin X1-DE sounds better than the Gibson with heavy strumming. Totally different tone though, so I'm not sure which one you would like better.

Did you get a chance to compare the G45 studio to the G45 Standard? I’ve had my eye on the studio for a few weeks now for the same reasons you listed, I just haven’t had the time to make it in to the local GC to play around with them.

I’ve been banging on a Taylor 114 that has been kicking around my house for a few years - how’d you say the G45 would compare tone wise to a Taylor?

Can’t wait to get out and try the G45.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:16 PM

Just get a J45 and be done.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickZ View Post
This. Many times over

www.tupelolime.com
https://tupelolime.bandcamp.com/
Old 01-04-2021, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Like saying, just eat a banana, when asked for an apple...
Old 01-04-2021, 05:00 AM

I can speak for the D15M and this is a great guitar if you like the warmer sound of mahogany, loud and good projektion and IMO a good strummer..
Old 01-04-2021, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
OP may have lots of reasons why a true J45 isn't in the question, but for the budget comparison, a J45 STUDIO model should be close, particuarly in the used market. That would be a consideration.

Having had a G45, J45 Studio and D15, I will say the following.

G45 - wow - that's a lot of guitar for the money and it plays and sounds really great. Definitely has its own sound with all the walnut appointments, but it's a GREAT guitar and what a value. No one else even has a contender in that price range made in the USA.

J45 studio (especially 2019 and older with the Baggs pickup) head and shoulders better in fit and finish (gloss, biding, etc) and features to the G45. Worth the upgrade in about every way, but G45 is no slouch and I wouldn't be ashamed to have one, but if I could swing a few hundredish more bucks, j45 studio all the way.

Martin D15 - sounds and plays the best of the 3, but I like Martins more to start with, so it's very subjective, of course. 15 series martins are just the best guitar value there is and really ever has been, in my opinion. It's pure Martin goodness, no frills and all the wonderful balanced goodness of all hog.

I would go with the Martin because I like the tone of mahogany and the tried and true quality of the all mahogany martin. Neither Gibson is bad, just a lot different in materials and tone. The big win for the Gibsons, too, is the shallower body making them a little more comfortable, probably at the expense of a little volume or low end, but that wouldn't bother me.

As always - play em if you can. Find what suits you. I'm always amazed at how much some people LOVE the things I HATE about a guitar and vice versa. Find what makes you happy, ultimately.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

I have a J-45, a J-45 Studio (thin body like the G45s), and a D15.

I think the G45s (I have played them), amd my J-45 Studio Walnut, are great guitars. I played them all before I bought my Studio. I remember sitting in Russo's thinking these should not sound as well as they do. Do you will not go wrong here.

However.... My D15... I have owned it since 2009. I have seriously bought, sold, or traded 25 guitars since 2009. Many have been on this forum. And I STILL have the D15 - which has stayed put while guitars three times its price have come and gone.

The 15 series, for my ears and preference, is the perfect Martin tone.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodythebaker View Post
Did you get a chance to compare the G45 studio to the G45 Standard? I’ve had my eye on the studio for a few weeks now for the same reasons you listed, I just haven’t had the time to make it in to the local GC to play around with them.

I’ve been banging on a Taylor 114 that has been kicking around my house for a few years - how’d you say the G45 would compare tone wise to a Taylor?

Can’t wait to get out and try the G45.
I have not played the Standard. I have a Taylor 814ce and a 110. I guess the 110 would be a better comparison to the G-45 than the 814ce... The 110 sounds much fuller with more bass than the G45. But the G 45 is really great for fingerpicking. See if you can try a G-45...Many people seem to like it.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
I have a J-45, a J-45 Studio (thin body like the G45s), and a D15.

I think the G45s (I have played them), amd my J-45 Studio Walnut, are great guitars. I played them all before I bought my Studio. I remember sitting in Russo's thinking these should not sound as well as they do. Do you will not go wrong here.

However.... My D15... I have owned it since 2009. I have seriously bought, sold, or traded 25 guitars since 2009. Many have been on this forum. And I STILL have the D15 - which has stayed put while guitars three times its price have come and gone.

The 15 series, for my ears and preference, is the perfect Martin tone.
I have no experience with the Gibsons discussed here so I can't add to that. However, I agree that the 15 series guitars (take your pick on body size) are pure heaven.

Sal - what strings do you like on your D15?
Old 01-04-2021, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Steve, that's the best part. Sometimes I like monel or nickel strings, and sometimes I use Elixir PB Lights. The guitar's character can change quite a bit depending on string choice - Nick Drake-y to Grass... Right now Elixirs are on. What about you?
Old 01-04-2021, 03:13 PM

000-15m here and I'll switch between Martin Retro Monels or Martin Authentic coated PB's. The Monels have more spank, the PB's are sweeter.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:16 PM

I have a G-45 and put Elixers on it and it made it sound much better.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 01-04-2021, 05:06 PM

Thanks for all your input, its hard to hang and wait in anticipation while we’re under lock down but I’ll be trying all 3 in person hopefully soon!
2013 Gibson J-35
1957 Martin 0-15
2019 Martin DSS-17
1980 Martin D-35

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
g45, gibson, martin d15