The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: What is your favorite tone wood (body / sides)
Mahogany 113 45.20%
Rosewood (East Indian) 70 28.00%
Rosewood (non-EIR) 42 16.80%
Maple 19 7.60%
Walnut 19 7.60%
Cocobolo 17 6.80%
Other 28 11.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2020, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Lightbulb What is your favorite tone wood (body / sides) *poll*

Hi all,

What is your favorite body tone wood for a guitar?

** Note: Multiple answers in your reply are possible.

Thanks for adding a comment if you choose to do so.

Last edited by AH Acoustic; 10-17-2020 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Matched post to poll question
Old 10-14-2020, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Hi AH,
I can't tick any boxes here - It depends on the type, purpose design of the guitar ...frinstance :

For an acoustic archtop ? Maple.

For a LOUD dreadnought? - mahogany

For a sweet , complex dread, 000 or smaller - EIR

For a bluesy small bodied L-00 style ? Maple.

I've never had walnut or coco ...except in a dessert of course.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi AH,
I can't tick any boxes here - It depends on the type, purpose design of the guitar ...frinstance :

For an acoustic archtop ? Maple.

For a LOUD dreadnought? - mahogany

For a sweet , complex dread, 000 or smaller - EIR

For a bluesy small bodied L-00 style ? Maple.

I've never had walnut or coco ...except in a dessert of course.
Thanks for your reply -- the poll design allows multiple votes.

I expect this sentiment could be common among those who play multiple, so you can click 1 vote per guitar preference / style.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:18 PM

Most of the acoustic guitars I have had over the past 50 years have been built with some species of rosewood. I've had guitars built with Indian RW and sitka spruce, Cocobolo RW and European (moon) spruce, and Brazilian RW and Lutz spruce. The exceptions are my first good guitar, a 1960's mahogany Gibson, which I no longer have, a 2002, mahogany, Taylor 12-string, which I love, and a 2015 Rainsong (which isn't wood at all). For a short time I had a R Taylor in curly mahogany with a redwood top. A gorgeous guitar, but with very disappointing tone. I didn't keep it very long.

My 2013 Greven OOO is Brazilian and Lutz as will be the OO 12-fret he's building for me now. John seems to be able to work magic with Brazilian rosewood and Lutz spruce, and I'm more than happy to take advantage of his skills. My kids will be pleased to inherit these guitars some day.

Bill

2002 Taylor GA 12-string custom: sitka/mahogany
2013 Greven OOO: Lutz/Brazilian
2021 Greven OO-12 fret: Lutz/Brazilian
2017 Rainsong Al Petteway Ltd. OOO: carbon fiber
2017 Birdsong Especial II Bass: Cypress/Rosewood
Old 10-14-2020, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

I prefer the punch, presence/definition, and even frequency of sapeale with mahogany a close second... so I voted other.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:29 PM

I tend to like rosewood on Martin Standard series.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:35 PM

I am partial to all mahogany guitars.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH Acoustic View Post
Thanks for your reply -- the poll design allows multiple votes.

I expect this sentiment could be common among those who play multiple, so you can click 1 vote per guitar preference / style.
You ask for "combination", yet all the selections are primarily back and set woods.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:01 PM

I've owned three rosewood guitars (out of the 200 or so pre-1970 Martins and Guilds I've owned) that, to my ear, were so far superior to anything else I've heard or played that I voted non-EIR rosewood. These three guitars turned heads everywhere I played them, and they were, generally speaking, not exactly lookers.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:03 PM

No such thing for me. Depends on what I'm playing.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
You ask for "combination", yet all the selections are primarily back and set woods.
Thank you for noting this, the original post is edited to match the poll.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:25 PM

Rosewood

Both, Brazilian and East Indian varieties
Old 10-14-2020, 09:12 PM

Since there wasn't an option for koa, I voted for walnut, because I like both black walnut and koa as back and side woods about equally. Both are medium density hardwoods that are tonally balanced, favoring neither bass over the treble or vice versa, but provide an even sound from top to bottom.

Where I find walnut most useful is when playing in a group, because it's very projective and cuts through nicely. It doesn't tend to have harmonics as rich as koa has, which is why I really like koa for when I play solo gigs - it's tonally balanced from treble to bass, but is lush-sounding in all the guitar's registers.

With both koa and walnut guitars I need spruce tops to provide me with all of the tone colors and volume that I use. All-koa and all-walnut guitars can sound pretty when they're all broken in, but they offer too limited a tonal palette when compared to similar guitars with spruce tops. Plus they're usually quieter and less projective.

When it comes to spruce tops, I don't have any rigid preferences, because all of the spruce species can sound and look exactly like every other spruce species. That said, I've owned a dulcimer and a small body guitar that both had Adirondack (red spruce) tops, and didn't like either of them enough to keep them for very long. But I've owned three dreadnoughts with red spruce tops and still own two, and have liked the extra bit of treble response that the red spruce seems to impart to large body guitars.

But most of my guitars, mandolins and mountain dulcimers in my permanent working collection of instruments have Sitka spruce tops, and they all sound very good (or I wouldn't keep them.)

All of this aside, though, in addition to the walnut and koa instruments I favor, I own several guitars made of Indian rosewood, three made out of Honduran mahogany, at least one made out of sapele or khaya (my Eastman J-45 copy, which gets an MVP award in terms of inexpensive guitars that I've bought used. The Eastman I own is a serious, superb instrument.) So it doesn't really matter to me what the back and side woods are so long as the instrument sounds good. Yeah, I like black walnut and koa, which are both a little bit less than mainstream when it comes to tonewoods, but if the guitar sounds good, the materials used to build it are immaterial.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-14-2020, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Macassar Ebony, paired with a Sinker Redwood top.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-14-2020, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Since there wasn't an option for koa, I voted for walnut, because I like both black walnut and koa as back and side woods about equally. Both are medium density hardwoods that are tonally balanced, favoring neither bass over the treble or vice versa, but provide an even sound from top to bottom.

Where I find walnut most useful is when playing in a group, because it's very projective and cuts through nicely. It doesn't tend to have harmonics as rich as koa has, which is why I really like koa for when I play solo gigs - it's tonally balanced from treble to bass, but is lush-sounding in all the guitar's registers.

With both koa and walnut guitars I need spruce tops to provide me with all of the tone colors and volume that I use. All-koa and all-walnut guitars can sound pretty when they're all broken in, but they offer too limited a tonal palette when compared to similar guitars with spruce tops. Plus they're usually quieter and less projective.

When it comes to spruce tops, I don't have any rigid preferences, because all of the spruce species can sound and look exactly like every other spruce species. That said, I've owned a dulcimer and a small body guitar that both had Adirondack (red spruce) tops, and didn't like either of them enough to keep them for very long. But I've owned three dreadnoughts with red spruce tops and still own two, and have liked the extra bit of treble response that the red spruce seems to impart to large body guitars.

But most of my guitars, mandolins and mountain dulcimers in my permanent working collection of instruments have Sitka spruce tops, and they all sound very good (or I wouldn't keep them.)

All of this aside, though, in addition to the walnut and koa instruments I favor, I own several guitars made of Indian rosewood, three made out of Honduran mahogany, at least one made out of sapele or khaya (my Eastman J-45 copy, which gets an MVP award in terms of inexpensive guitars that I've bought used. The Eastman I own is a serious, superb instrument.) So it doesn't really matter to me what the back and side woods are so long as the instrument sounds good. Yeah, I like black walnut and koa, which are both a little bit less than mainstream when it comes to tonewoods, but if the guitar sounds good, the materials used to build it are immaterial.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Thank you for this commentary, and in retrospect, I think that Koa was certainly a prime candidate to have been included. This was certainly not a perfect poll question.

Your expanded insights are much appreciated.

- Andrew

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitar, tone wood, tonewood