The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-08-2013, 08:46 PM

Unhappy Advice needed: Cold house

New to the forums, I'll start a "new guy" thread when I'm home.

Currently overseas for two months (I come back right before Christmas). Forgot to account for the change in weather.

Some wise guy (me) thought it would be a great idea to turn off the A/C before I left to save some money on bills (which I am, not the point). I am also new to the area so I don't know anyone local (who I would trust with my belongings).

What I forgot to account for is my guitars, namely my solid acoustics. Luckly, I live in a place with relatively good humidity for my acoustics year round (~45-55%), but currently, I've been monitoring the local temperature and it's been around 40 for at least the past month. Considering it's been so long, the indoor temp is likely similar to the outside temp.

Here's where I need advice:

Will the cold affect the guitars adversely? I'm thinking since it was a gradual cool down, no.

Would cold weather + higher humidity (~70-80%) have an effect?

How should I go about turning on the heat when I get back? (Since I know I won't want to sit in a 40F room).

I know 40 isn't too cold, but they're used to being around 70-80 year round.

Sorry for the long post, just a little concerned. Am I being dramatic? (I'm thinking yes, but would love some advice there too...)

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

I'm no expert but from what I have seen, they will be able to flex and accommodate w/o cracking as long as there's sufficient humidity. It sounds like you'll be ok.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:11 PM

I, like Bowie, am no expert. However, what I can say is that I live in China (Shanghai) where very few homes have central heat and air. Typically only a couple of the rooms in an apartment will have heating and/or a/c. Therefore, my guitars are often stored in rooms that are not heated and the temperature often gets down in the 30's and 40's. So far I have not had any issues due to temperature changes. I will add that my guitars have poly finishes that seem tougher than others. Lastly, I feel that my biggest concern is humidity levels not temperature.

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 12-08-2013, 09:19 PM

The biggest problem is sudden dramatic change in temp. When you get back don't subject the guitars to a quick temp change, allow them to adjust in their cases before opening. Where will you be in Texas?
Old 12-08-2013, 09:21 PM

Personally, I don't think 40 degrees F will be much of an issue as long as it's consistent

But, you mentioned a possibility of 70%-80% humidity ... if that's a realistic possibility for a prolonged period, I would expect your guitars to be "bloated" after 2 months and have the need for a dedicated and gradual dehumidification when you return.

I got a significant amount of "bellying" of the top on my D-18 this past summer from prolonged exposure to only 60%-65% humidity. My guitar tech tells me that patience and dryer weather will bring it back to normal after a month or two.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 12-08-2013, 09:22 PM

It is never a good idea to totally turn the heat off in a house when the temperatures might fall below 50 F. This is tough on plaster and on outside walls where condensation can form. Keeping some maintenance heat/air flow is prudent.

Since there is nothing that you can do about it now, just figure out what is best for the guitars. Forty degrees F with a slow cool down is a non-factor for the structure of the guitar, the finish though, might be another story. Some finishes start to get hard and lose their elasticity at around 40F. Cooling below this can be a prescription for finish cracks or checking.

Warming a finish is most critical at the lowest temperatures. If your guitars are truly at 40F then warming them up to around 55F is going to be way more important to preserve the finish than from 55F up to 70F. For this reason, it would be prudent to leave your guitars in their cases and set your thermostat to 55F for a good part of the day before raising your thermostat to your normal temp of around 70F.

Like I said, 40F is just around the point where some finishes just start to have the potential for finish checking so my guess is that you will be fine even if you leave the guitars in their cases and jump the room right to 65F to 70F when you return.

Frank Sanns
Old 12-08-2013, 09:22 PM

Hopefully the gradual cool down in the case didn't affect them. I'd look at them for damage (bridge pulled off or top cracks), loosen the strings and back in the case before I turned the heat on. I had an Ovation in a basement room on a stand that the window was broken in cold weather and the top cracked behind the bridge, but that was a pretty rapid change. I really think you will be fine. Best of luck.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:36 PM

I think a call to your local police/fire dept will help, especially for guys in the service. Call to have a check on the welfare of the home. Concern about water freezing in pipes and cold damaging interior furnishings. If a key is not avail give them permission to force entry, check and make adjustments, and then secure as best as possible. We did things like that for out of state folks alot, no problem, things happen,folks forget stuff. Helps avoid a bigger mess latter on or worse.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:58 PM

Default Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I'm no expert but from what I have seen, they will be able to flex and accommodate w/o cracking as long as there's sufficient humidity. It sounds like you'll be ok.
Sounds like it, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by picassov7 View Post
So far I have not had any issues due to temperature changes. I will add that my guitars have poly finishes that seem tougher than others. Lastly, I feel that my biggest concern is humidity levels not temperature.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybanjo View Post
Where will you be in Texas?
Outer metro San Antonio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson View Post
But, you mentioned a possibility of 70%-80% humidity ... if that's a realistic possibility for a prolonged period, I would expect your guitars to be "bloated" after 2 months and have the need for a dedicated and gradual dehumidification when you return.
I'll definitely look out for that, thank you. The 70-80% in cold was more of an inquiry than a possiblity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
Warming a finish is most critical at the lowest temperatures. If your guitars are truly at 40F then warming them up to around 55F is going to be way more important to preserve the finish than from 55F up to 70F. For this reason, it would be prudent to leave your guitars in their cases and set your thermostat to 55F for a good part of the day before raising your thermostat to your normal temp of around 70F.
I left when temperatures called for cooling, rather than heating (as I am from south Texas). I actually kept my A/C off most of the time because it was comfortable and the humidity levels were ideal.

Didn't really don on me that it was going to be winter when I came back (Doh!).

Thanks for your expertise and advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchfun View Post
Hopefully the gradual cool down in the case didn't affect them. I'd look at them for damage (bridge pulled off or top cracks), loosen the strings and back in the case before I turned the heat on.
Sounds like good advice. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Concern about water freezing in pipes and cold damaging interior furnishings. If a key is not avail give them permission to force entry, check and make adjustments, and then secure as best as possible.
I come home in a little over a week and it hasn't been too cold locally (at least no where close to freezing my pipes - have had this issue before), so I'd rather not stir up the neighbors

I appreciate the advice!
Old 12-08-2013, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Hi Azaro,
I'm thinking your guitars will be fine. Rapid temp changes are the enemy, and so is dry heat.

My acoustics have lived through cold times with no ill effects.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 12-09-2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Hi Azaro,
I'm thinking your guitars will be fine. Rapid temp changes are the enemy, and so is dry heat.

My acoustics have lived through cold times with no ill effects.
Thanks Jim, I am hoping that is the case.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
cold, damage, drama, humidity, weather