The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-02-2020, 09:22 AM

Post Larrivee or Webber

I have a Larrivee LV05 which i love, what i dont love is the LR Baggs iMix pickup. The amplified sound does not at all do justice to the guitar.

So my options is to replace the iMix with the Stagepro anthem but that is quite pricey or to sell this guitar(for which i have a ready buyer) and buy a Webber and install a Lyric which might also be a stretch because the Webber Slope D Quilted Mahogany that I'm looking at is also pretty close to my full budget.

A distant 3rd option is get a Cort Earth Custom Shop E-LE3 which is know is quality and will give me above average amplified sound.

Any suggestions as what would be a wiser choice or am i being GASSED into another sell and buy
Old 06-02-2020, 09:26 AM

I feel Webber is a half-step above Larrivee in quality but that's just my personal opinion. But you might be wasting it's superiority if you are playing primarily plugged in.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:23 AM

Thanks Paulzoom.
I predominantly play without amplification but leading worship needs amplification and its annoys me that my Larrivee does not reflect its true sound
Old 06-02-2020, 11:26 AM

Webber is better acoustically but if youre going to play mainly electric then it doesnt matter what guitar you get as long as the pickup is good. It seems that you know what pickup you like and dont. I dont like the Larrivee sound acoustically but if I was in your shoes Id change out the pickup on a guitar you like vs chancing a guitar that is unknown.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrivoges View Post
I have a Larrivee LV05 which i love, what i dont love is the LR Baggs iMix pickup. The amplified sound does not at all do justice to the guitar.

So my options is to replace the iMix with the Stagepro anthem but that is quite pricey or to sell this guitar(for which i have a ready buyer) and buy a Webber and install a Lyric which might also be a stretch because the Webber Slope D Quilted Mahogany that I'm looking at is also pretty close to my full budget.

A distant 3rd option is get a Cort Earth Custom Shop E-LE3 which is know is quality and will give me above average amplified sound.

Any suggestions as what would be a wiser choice or am i being GASSED into another sell and buy
Unless I had the funds to get the pickup I wanted, I would just keep the combination you presently have. As you said, you love its sound unplugged and usually play that way, using amplification only for worship. Worshippers in a congregational setting aren't likely to consider its tone one way or another.

Later, after saving some funds, you can get the pickup you really want.

But it's ultimately up to what works best for you. I let a Larrivee go a decade ago that I wish I still had, so maybe I'm advising out of my experience.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:09 PM

I have played Webbers. I own several Larrivees and they are more similar than they are different. I doubt you will notice much different in amplified tone. You may be better off trying a different pick up such as K&K, maybe Baggs Lyric.
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 06-02-2020, 01:10 PM

I know the church never listens to these things... but i hear it. Its all i hear...
Upgrading the plugin is the wise choice, but wisdom didn't get me this guitar. LOL
Old 06-02-2020, 01:13 PM

@247hoopsfan the current one is sidemounted... so i'll need to upgrade the side mounted one. If i sell the larrivee i will definitely go with the Lyric. Not a fan of the K&K, to me no guitar sounds like that

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
cort, larrivee, webber